Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 12th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2
Default All Of You Will Know This Song

Some will remember this lady........I sure do.

Here is the story that goes with the song,
This is a keeper!! It’s sad to see how much our country has gone downhill since the ‘40’s! (I always wondered about the saying “it ain’t over til the fat lady sings”. Now I know.)

Don’t know how many of you remember Kate Smith, but she was one very special woman. Here is her story and her song.

Here Is a Real Star. In case you don't know it, this is the person that is referred to as "The Fat Lady" in the trite verbalization of "It's not over till the fat lady sings". Kate Smith was born and grew up in Columbia, Missouri!
In early 1940, Kate Smith, a fiercely patriotic American, and the biggest star on radio, was deeply worried about her country.
She asked Irving Berlin if he could give her a song that would re-ignite the spirit of American patriotism and faith. He said he had a song that he had written in 1917, but never used it. He said she could have it.
She sat at the piano & played it and realized how good it was. She called Mr. Berlin and told him that she couldn't take this from him for nothing. So, they agreed that any money that would be made off the song would be donated to the Boy Scouts of America.
Thanks to Kate Smith and Irving Berlin, the Scouts have received millions of dollars in royalties.
This clip is from the movie "You're in the Army Now". You will see a familiar face in this one that we are all very proud of.
Frank Sinatra said that when Kate Smith, whom he considered the greatest singer of his age, first sang this song on the radio, a million guys got 'dust' in their eyes and had to wipe the tears the 'dust' caused.
YouTube - Kate Smith introduces God Bless America
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Sorry about the double post, my finger stutters.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old November 12th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Admiral

Cruznut2, thank you.

That is a great song and Kate Smith was a beautiful lady with a beautiful voice.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old November 13th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Banned
Captain

Actually, "It's not over until the fat lady sings" was originally a comic explanation of opera to the uninitiated. The expression has no association with Kate Smith.

It ain't over till (or until) the fat lady sings is a colloquialism, essentially meaning that one should not assume the outcome of some activity (e.g.: a sports game) until it has actually finished, similar to a common proverb. It is a perception of Grand Opera, typically overweight sopranos, and perhaps Brünnhilda's final arias from Die Walküre or Götterdämmerung in particular, from an American working class cultural perspective of the early 20th century.
Old November 13th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Admiral

My father was a collector of records from the 30's to the 50's .Until recently I had a wonderful recording of Kate Smith singing God Bless America from a 30's radio broadcast .I would get "goosepimples" every time I listened to the recording .