Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 5th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default 1.7 billion and counting

Since the airlines have started charging for baggage, they have made 1.7 billion so far This website can aid in figuring out what your total cost, above the airfare will be.... With that much extra the airlines are making, one would think I would not have had to pay $2.00 for a cuppa tea flying Spirit!

Outraged Traveler Builds Calculator to Beat Airline Baggage Fees

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old December 5th, 2010, 03:51 PM
First Mate

I just can't find any outrage for this one. It's not like you are tricked into anything.

You can:
Take a bus, train, boat or drive.
Pack light and only carry on.
Fly Southwest or other "perky" airline that flys bags free.
Use a USPS or parcel shipper.
Staycation.

I only have a problem if the airlines are colluding to raise prices and fees. Otherwise competition should reduce inefficiencies. Anyone own stock in a legacy carrier? How's it done over the last decade?
Old December 5th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I can't say that I "like" the baggage fees and some of the other added fees that airlines have tacked on in the recent years. However, I can say that I understand why they've done it.

If anyone believes that airlines are making money hand over fist they are very much mistaken. Even the "profitable" Southwest has done so because they hedge in their fuel costs. This has been mostly beneficial to them but it bit them in the rear a couple of years ago when fuel prices dropped.

Look at the number of airlines that have gone under or been bought up by other airlines.

All of the airlines have drastically cut costs and there aren't many people who have made much money off their airline stocks. Most have lost their shirts.

BTW: American Express Platinum (real Platinum, not Costco Platinum, SkyMiles Platinum or other branded cards) now has a $250/year airline fee reimbursement. They will credit your card for up to $250 for baggage fees, drinks, meals or other airline imposed fees. Not a bad benefit.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 5th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Admiral

No outrage here....for anybody wishing to compare options, a good place to check.....I know when I booked my air for Spirit, even with all the added fees, the cost was less than SW, touting free bagagge, and not just a small amount either..

I don't know anyone yet, who has fedexed luggage for a cruise.

Tell someone on a wk or longer cruise to just take a carr on, that's not going to happen

Staying home is not in this equasion.....

I think the additon of charging for a blanket or beverage, is something we have to get used to, but, we don't have to like it...do we?

Old December 5th, 2010, 05:40 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I don't know anyone yet, who has fedexed luggage for a cruise.:rolleyes
I didn't realize we were focused solely on cruises. (I've never been a fan of the "rolleyes" emoticon.)

Quote:
Tell someone on a wk or longer cruise to just take a carr on, that's not going to happen
We are taking our car to port for a 7 day. We also have the option of renting a car for each leg.

Quote:
Staying home is not in this equasion.....
Not for some, but it's certainly a reality for many of us. Has been for years.

Quote:
I think the additon of charging for a blanket or beverage, is something we have to get used to, but, we don't have to like it...do we?
It's not like paying taxes. If ya don't like it; don't fly.

Go look at the stock priced for any airline on a ten year chart. Seriously...it's a 10 year bloodbath.

Get outraged about the FED, Wall Street banks in bed with regulators, speculators affecting the price of oil, OPEC, ect. The airlines are not flush with cash. Most are lucky to still be operating.
Old December 5th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Admiral

As I said..I am not ourtraged

Old December 5th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Admiral

Default American Express Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
I can't say that I "like" the baggage fees and some of the other added fees that airlines have tacked on in the recent years. However, I can say that I understand why they've done it.

If anyone believes that airlines are making money hand over fist they are very much mistaken. Even the "profitable" Southwest has done so because they hedge in their fuel costs. This has been mostly beneficial to them but it bit them in the rear a couple of years ago when fuel prices dropped.

Look at the number of airlines that have gone under or been bought up by other airlines.

All of the airlines have drastically cut costs and there aren't many people who have made much money off their airline stocks. Most have lost their shirts.

BTW: American Express Platinum (real Platinum, not Costco Platinum, SkyMiles Platinum or other branded cards) now has a $250/year airline fee reimbursement. They will credit your card for up to $250 for baggage fees, drinks, meals or other airline imposed fees. Not a bad benefit.

Take care,
Mike
The monthly charge is quite exhorbitant for this card .
Old December 5th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
The monthly charge is quite exhorbitant for this card .
Henry,

The annual charge is somewhere around $400.

In the last year I have received:
$300 in On Board Credit.
Free Travel Insurance on all of my cruises.
$100+ in airline fee reimbursements.
Airline lounge access.
Plus one companion, business class, airline ticket worth $2300.

These savings, amenities and reimbursements more than offset the cost of the card.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 5th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Admiral

To me $400 is a lot . I believe I heard it was $600
Old December 6th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Admiral

Thanks for the information. My Hubby and I have just booked a cruise out of Port Canaveral in 2012. This will be one of the few cruises that we will have to fly to. My hubby is already stressing out about and I haven't even booked any flights. Your information will help me pick on airline. I would like a non stop flight. However, I think I would have to fly out of San Francisco for that. Anyone have an airline they enjoy flying on? Any airline you won't fly on?

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 6th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Admiral

I love Southwest