Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 18th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Admiral

Default Snow (at last!) Saturday

Morning Mates, the ground is white out there this morning, but barely covering. We had a surprise snowstorm yesterday afternoon, which made for a very interesting drive home from work. I was supposed to go out again last night for a Christmas party, but canceled because I was not going to drive in that driving snow and slick roads.
At least it looks a little more like Dec. and Christmas now!

Absolutely no plans today, much like Kuki yesterday. Think I will take it easy and do some knitting and reading.
Mike, hope your chest pains checked out OK, please keep us posted!

donna
Old December 18th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Admiral

GREETINGS from beautiful Polk County Florida. We had a fantastic day yesterday, with highs in the 70's. I stayed outside all day long, doing little chores around here, and enjoying the weather. We've got another cold front coming through today, with cloudy skys, drizzling rain, and slightly cooler temperatures. Glad I was out all day yesterday, as I'll be a couch potato today!
Hope y'all have a GREAT day. Donna and I will be staying inside for the duration!

Ken
"SKY"

HA! When I typed my name, I had my right hand one key too far to the left. That made my name JEB instead of KEN. (For some reason, I found that quite funny????)
Old December 18th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates!
There's still lots of snow on the ground here. Its about 11 degrees and should reach a balmy 24 for a high today.

Over the past several weeks, d/h and I have vacillated over our holiday plans. We could not decided what we wanted to do for Christmas Day, and we know we need to get to Canada to see his Folks, but couldn't make a decision whether to go before or after Christmas. Well I am so thankful we didn't go this week. This is what happened on the 402 in his hometown:
Hundreds rescued after being stranded on highway near Sarnia, Ont. - The Globe and Mail

He did come in the bedroom last night and state matter of factly that under no circumstances would we be driving his car up there. He didn't care how much more it cost for gas to drive my 4x4 truck up there, but by gosh that is how it is gonna be lol! Who am I to argue with that... lol

Looks like we won't be heading up til after Christmas so hopefully they'll have that mess cleaned up by then and there won't be any new messes until after we leave.

Well it's a busy day today. I need to get the kids off to music lessons, then their Christmas Party with all their little friends. Then some friends and my Sis are coming over to visit. It should be a great day!

Have a great weekend all!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old December 18th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Admiral

Good morning
A bright sunny but cold day here in the city. Iím off to breakfast and then Samís club with a girlfriend. Iím so looking forward to egg benedict.

We went to Dave& Busters last night with some friends we havenít seen in a long time. The kids loved it and Iím surprised to say the food was excellent! The kids went off to play game and the adults were able to sit and just converse and catch up on things.
Not much else going on here.

ALLURE, 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Old December 18th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Good Morning cruisemates! Awoke to an overcast morning with a bit of a sprinkle, but still warm enough to have my coffee on my patio perch. High today heading to 67 ish. But warming starting again tomorrow.

Mrs. Kuki and I did some grocery shopping yesterday. Whenever we get groceries we're amazed at how much cheaper groceries are here than at home. On most grocery items there's at least a 25-30% difference in costs.

I'm not certain what we'll do today either. It's kind of nice to not have chores that need to be done. The benefit of a small condo. Think I'm getting to like the idea of selling the house at home, and downsizing there too.

Some golf buddies have arrived in town for visits, so the next few days I'll be "excercising" Today I'll be bonding with my wife again... so she'll be glad when I'm gone golfing for a few days. :-D
Old December 18th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Good morning everyone from a white Texas. This is not your snow type, but a man named Jack Frost. It should clear up in a little while, and be sunny, and mild.

It was so gloomy yesterday I decided to get out and do a little shopping. I went first to get my hair cut. I was talking to the girl, and she and I were talking about Christmas, and her kids. She said they didn't need much this year, and didn't expect much. We talked about the true meaning of Christmas. I asked about the picture on her counter, of what I thought was her hubby and kids. She explained that was her dad, and kids. She said that hubby had left her for his pregnant girlfriend, and she had lost her house and car. Friends had been helping out.

After a few minutes, I asked if I could write her a check for the kids, for Christmas? She paused, and then teared up.

I knew it was the right thing to do, because I had asked the Lord to lead me in the direction of someone in need. I also knew it was ment to be, because I had not planned to get a haircut yesterday.

I am selfish, because I needed so bad yesterday to feel that warmth of giving, to make me feel better. Of course I could have used the money for other things, but it would not have made me feel any better.

My prayers are with her this holiday season. It hurts when your feet are knocked out from under you, but boy are you stronger when you get back up.

Not much planned for today. I am going to make Brunwick stew, which takes forever to make, and then try and do something with this house.

I hope all of you have a good day.

Remember to love. It's that gift that will give back to you.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old December 18th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Good morning everyone:

Betty is getting ready for work. She needs to work for a few hours today to handle the year end financial processing.

This evening we will be going to a friends home for a Christmas party. It should be a fun time. I already wrapped a couple of Cruise Trivia prizes to give as "White Elephant"/gag gifts. I knew those things would be good for something. I hope someone enjoys the Royal Caribbean travel wallet and the Celebrity travel alarm.

My arm and back are still sore. The doc called in a script for Ibuprofen. It helps but hasn't eliminated the discomfort.

Otherwise it's a good day in the neighborhood. I hope everyone has a great day and a wonderful weekend.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 18th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Admiral

Morning from the Pacific Northwest........upper30's this morning...........

No white stuff of any kind............

Still lots of liquid sunshine tho........

Ken.......I know what ya mean......I was chuckling when you said your fingers were off.......I've been doing that alot lately........

Luanne......what is Brunwick stew??? Glad you found something to make you feel good about Christmas.....

Mike......feel better.......a travel alarm is always good....

Y'all have a good day............

Sharon
Old December 18th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Admiral

Default Snow (at last) Saturday

And a rainy good morning to you! It's cold and wet, the kind of day that if you have aches and pains, they all ache and pain!

Keith has long since departed for Riverside and the Wright Flyer Project, rain or shine. I have a long to-do list.

Since I didn't get an answer on the Kindle thread, maybe somebody here can tell me: If you own a Kindle, can you order books from sources other than Amazon? Also, if the Kindle fills up, you can't take things off?

It's raining cats and dogs again. Time to read the paper and then get started on that to-do list.

Judy
Old December 18th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

1 small pork roast, cooked(can be done in large pot on stove, in crock pot, or oven)
1 chicken or 4 chicken breasts, boiled(reserve broth)
1 onion, chopped(size depends on how much you like onion)
2 cans(15 Ĺ oz) tomatoes
2 cans or a bag of frozen whole kernel corn
2 cans or a bag of frozen garden peas
2-3 cups cubed potatoes
1 can lima beans(optional)
1 tablespoon sugar(or brown sugar)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2-3 tablespoons hot sauce(Heinz 57 sauce works too)
1 small(12 oz) bottle ketchup
3 cups chicken broth(or water, if you prefer)
salt and pepper according to taste

Mom usually cooked the pork roast and chicken the day before and let it cool, then deboned and shredded it the next day. She put it into a big pot, with the vegetables(except the potatoes - - she added them in the last hour, so they didnít get mushy), sugar, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup and broth(or water) and salt and pepper. She cooked it slowly, for hours, over low heat(it scorches easily, and nothing is worse than scorched Brunswick Stew), about 2 Ĺ - 3 hours . You have to taste it to see of it needs more salt, pepper or hot sauce. Sometimes she would add more water, if it started to cook out.

This is a recipe she found in one of those church cook books and modified over the years. Some people add different things, butter beans instead of lima beans, or some add green beans. Mom usually used whatever she had on hand - - if she had lima beans, she added them, or would use leftovers(corn, butter beans, garden peas). Also, some people use barbecue instead of hot sauce. It makes the flavor a little different.

Itís something you have to experiment with, or modify to your own tastes. My momís Brunswick Stew was very soup-like, and had more bite(from the hot sauce). My uncle adds more sugar to his, and is somewhere between a soup and a stew. My best friendís mom makes her with barbecue and chicken and hers is very thick. Itís all good, itís just a matter of getting the right combination to suit you.

This is the one I settled with after searching on line. I grew up eating this stuff, and you can still find it in resturants in Florida, Georgia and South Carolina. Maybe other states as well, but I have not visited them.

Funny story My Uncle Johnny made the best stew. He was a good old boy, and the first person I ever heard about that grew up on the wrong side of the tracks. When my mom and Aunt couldn't think of anyone else to talk about, they always could rely on Uncle Johnny for something to talk about.

Uncle Johnny would start early in the morning, with a big iron pot, over an open flame in the back yard. He and his buddy would start throwing things in, and around 10:30 the beer would come out. By the end of the day, the stew would be done, and my uncle's liver would be too.

One year he asked me where the family cat was. I told him I didn't know and he pointed to the stew and smiled. I didn't eat stew that year, and spent the rest of the day holding the cat to be sure it didn't end up in the stew. My Aunt would fix iron pan cornbread to go in the stew.

One other thing. No self respecting southerner puts potatos in their stew. My uncle said "That just isn't right"

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old December 18th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Admiral

God bless you Luanne!

"SKY"
Old December 18th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Admiral

Luanne..................thanks........sounds good.......gotta have the cornbread to go with it.......

Have to add a few things to my grocery list.......

Sharon
Old December 18th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Captain

Luanne-thanks for that recipe! We wintered in Florida for 15 years and often enjoyed Brunswick Stew. I think I might give it a try-great comfort food when we're freezing up here.

RD-I'm glad you got a little white stuff-finally-but happy to hear your not affected by the terrible flooding. What a mess,particularly in N.B. As a Canadian, I should know were Pictou County is ..,, but don't! How far from Halifax are you?
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old December 18th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Admiral

jacdenv24, Pictou County is a large area in the northeast corner of Nova Scotia, on the way up to Cape Breton. We are about 2 hours northeast of Halifax (city and waterfront) and about 1 1/2 hours to the Halifax airport.
And I thought I knew most of Ontario, but where is Bobcageon???

donna
Old December 19th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna View Post
jacdenv24, Pictou County is a large area in the northeast corner of Nova Scotia, on the way up to Cape Breton. We are about 2 hours northeast of Halifax (city and waterfront) and about 1 1/2 hours to the Halifax airport.
And I thought I knew most of Ontario, but where is Bobcageon???

donna
I finally found it on the map! Across the Strait from PEI-looks like a gorgeous location. And hardly anyone had heard of Bobcaygeon We're on the Trent Severn Waterway at Lock 32 where Pigeon Lake meets Sturgeon Lake, about 40 miles north of Peterborough. We moved here 5 years ago and love it!
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette