CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Airline restroom rant (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/380108-airline-restroom-rant.html)

Paul Motter February 2nd, 2011 12:49 PM

Airline restroom rant

The facilities on airplanes...

Have you ever been waiting so long that you started knocking on the door and found out someone was still in there taking like 30 minutes? Why?

Have you ever had a seat next to the toilet on an international flight and had to smell the "dairy air" (as John Heald would say) for 12 hours wafting out everytime the door opened?

Have you ever been on an international flight and all the toilets have stuff left in them that didn't go down and absolutely no one is willing to fix it?

Doesn't it make you wonder why each flight doesn't assign at least one attendant as the "sanitation engineer?"

Have you ever used the "lift the occupied sign" trick to unlock the toilet from the outside only to find someone was still in there?

Queen of Oakville February 2nd, 2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1348918)
The facilities on airplanes...

Have you ever been waiting so long that you started knocking on the door and found out someone was still in there taking like 30 minutes? Why?

Have you ever had a seat next to the toilet on an international flight and had to smell the "dairy air" (as John Heald would say) for 12 hours wafting out everytime the door opened?

Have you ever been on an international flight and all the toilets have stuff left in them that didn't go down and absolutely no one is willing to fix it?

Doesn't it make you wonder why each flight doesn't assign at least one attendant as the "sanitation engineer?"

Have you ever used the "lift the occupied sign" trick to unlock the toilet from the outside only to find someone was still in there?

Thank you for the laugh! Though I cannot relate. I avoid pubilc restrooms at all costs. I have NEVER used the facilities on an Airplane (longest flight LAX to Hawaii).

dfhawk60 February 2nd, 2011 01:27 PM

this should make you feel better:

6 places germs breed in a plane - Travel - Business Travel - msnbc.com

:shock:

Lakers Fan February 2nd, 2011 01:27 PM

I too avoid public restrooms unless absolutely necessary .

Paul Motter February 2nd, 2011 01:39 PM

Gad - my wife is the same - she can avoid thge restroom on a flight for hours. Not me.

If she really has to go then we have to rationalize it - "do you think it's OK?"

debp February 2nd, 2011 01:43 PM

I have been on an airline where the flight attendants were responsible for the condition of the restrooms - China Air. Flying coach, I got up to use the restroom mid-flight of my 16 hours. The attendant saw me, raced ahead and did a quick disenfecting and sprucing of the restroom before I went in. It was wonderful, but to be honest I was embarrassed that she did that for me. By the way - the restroom had no odor.

I cannot say I was okay with other practices on that airline - no computers for check in - just clipboards and no calling by section - everyone just crammed forward to board the flight.

Lakers Fan February 2nd, 2011 01:43 PM

After leaving the plane when everyone heads for the baggage area I am literally running to the rest room .

Paul Motter February 2nd, 2011 01:54 PM

The Asians are not known for keeping orderly lines. They are known for making a tent shape with their hands over their heads and wedging themselves into a crowded room (like an elevator).

Trip February 2nd, 2011 02:07 PM

In chat one night, I mentioned how odd the ladies rooms were on the Eclipse. They most they have in any ladies room is 3 stalls. One woman, who uses a scooter, said what many of you did..I don't use public bathrooms..Another said I go to my cabin...well, I think we all would go to our cabin if we could manage too, but realistically, that can be troublesome for many.

Usually restrooms by the theaters/restaurants have a larger amounts of stalls, so imagine the lines there! I would use that nice southern expression, with multiple meansings to say to those who make mad dashes....well bless your hearts:):):)

btw..never had issues on planes...fortunately

rollerdonna February 2nd, 2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville (Post 1348936)
Thank you for the laugh! Though I cannot relate. I avoid pubilc restrooms at all costs. I have NEVER used the facilities on an Airplane (longest flight LAX to Hawaii).

OMG not me! I think I have visited every washroom in every store, every gas station, every house, every cruise ship, every train, boat, bus and train I have ever traveled. I cannot hold it, there's just no way.
I agree with Paul's rant, he makes some valid points, but I'd rather have to use a dirty washroom than "dirty" myself!

donna

venice February 2nd, 2011 03:34 PM

911 has changed many onboard airline processes including use of onboard rest rooms

I'm looking to fly from Atlanta to Johannesburg/Capetown South Africa which is about 18 hours non stop..decided to change planes in Brussels due in part to the challenges Paul describes

Queen of Oakville February 2nd, 2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollerdonna (Post 1348974)

OMG not me! I think I have visited every washroom in every store, every gas station, every house, every cruise ship, every train, boat, bus and train I have ever traveled. I cannot hold it, there's just no way.
I agree with Paul's rant, he makes some valid points, but I'd rather have to use a dirty washroom than "dirty" myself!

donna

LOL Donna, you must be related to my hubby. My son will be just like his dad. My daughter, however, takes after her momma. I remember one time we were at a water park in the town and she had to use the facilitities. I wanted to drive her home, she said it was urgent. Reluctantly, I took her to the bathrrom. We got inside and took one look (and whiff) and she said, "that's okay, I will save it for later". That's my girl.

Snoozeman February 2nd, 2011 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debp (Post 1348957)
I have been on an airline where the flight attendants were responsible for the condition of the restrooms - China Air. Flying coach, I got up to use the restroom mid-flight of my 16 hours. The attendant saw me, raced ahead and did a quick disenfecting and sprucing of the restroom before I went in. It was wonderful, but to be honest I was embarrassed that she did that for me. By the way - the restroom had no odor.

I cannot say I was okay with other practices on that airline - no computers for check in - just clipboards and no calling by section - everyone just crammed forward to board the flight.

I did the last Rhapsody cruise out of Texas before it moved to Asia. They were changing the cabin stewards in anticipation and I had a Chinese steward for the first time. His english wasn't very good, but that was the CLEANEST cabin we have ever had.:cool:

I try to wait until we reach the terminal when flying. Not always possible, but then again it's easier for guys.:rolleyes:

Paul Motter February 2nd, 2011 04:14 PM

I couldn't hold it for two hours if I tried - nor would I. I mean if you want to sleep on a red-eye to Frankfurt how do you do that with a full bladder?

I wash my hands, dry thoroughly and use the towel to open the door. Then I break out the hand sanitizer and the moist towelettes and do a thorough cleaning (actually, that last part is optional).

Number 1 is not pretty, but it is actually sterile chemically speaking. #2 is much worse, but think about doctors & nurses who deal with it daily. They all manage to live normal lives.

This is the kind of discussion I have with my wife when she really needs to go but is afraid. ;)

Wow - this really is a hotter :rolleyes: topic than I thought.

Aerogirl February 2nd, 2011 04:28 PM

I wipe my seat tray with wipes and bring water on to drink. Alway have wipes with me on a flight!

anniegb February 2nd, 2011 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1348953)
Gad - my wife is the same - she can avoid thge restroom on a flight for hours. Not me.

If she really has to go then we have to rationalize it - "do you think it's OK?"

I can fly London-Beijing w/o having to make a visit.

I have never had problem with the facilities if I have had to use them.

Annie

TravelMike February 2nd, 2011 05:34 PM

Paul, don't get started on air lines. I can't remember when a flight time was not changed. I pick them based on the best time and pay for it, only to have it changed. I have been told by doctors to get up and walk around on longer flights, only to have airlines say stay seated. I think thats why I enjoy the few cruises out of SF we take so much. Mike

venice February 2nd, 2011 07:38 PM

Mike..blood clotting is a huge medical concern on international flights...when I fly international, i try to walk around the cabin at least once per hour and do seat exercises

johnthed0g February 2nd, 2011 07:48 PM

I try to avoid using the "lav." but one comment & this is a fact, on our recent flight we were in the premium cabin, we had our own toilet, one between 63 people, the rest had 4 between about 250 people, same ratio I think. Our toilet was as clean at the end of the flight as it was in the beginning, the one's at the back were like pig stye's. What am I saying ...nothing really, just an observation.

Mike M February 2nd, 2011 09:40 PM

I once had a problem with using public bathrooms. Then I had most of my entrails removed and I now have no problem. A case of necessity.

I've had few problems with airplane bathrooms. I do get a shiver when the person who comes out looks like they spend their time living in a refrigerator box under a bridge. ;):D The Lysol wipes are always in my pocket.

Take care,
Mike

Trip February 2nd, 2011 10:16 PM

Can you imaginee a person who has airplane bathroom issues and claustraphobia, and has an emergancy? Now, that would be tough...

Paul Motter February 2nd, 2011 11:07 PM

I was on a LAX to NY flight on that airline that Trump used to own? Tower Air, and the back bathrooms got so dirty they were literally overflowing with crud. And that flight was going on to tel Aviv from NY.

Thank God I got off in NY. I can't imagine.

Fern February 2nd, 2011 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollerdonna (Post 1348974)

donna

I agree with Donna! When you gotta go, you gotta go! I've recently changed a cruise shore excursion because I realized we'd be almost 3 hours each way on a bus with no "facilities". Yikes:shock:!

I've "gone" in some fairly primitive places and have never had anything terrible happen.

I carry TP with me and use paper towels or TP to open the door out of the restroom. You're more likely to get something off the door handle than off the toilet seat :eek: !

Luanne Russo February 2nd, 2011 11:18 PM

I am like Donna, If I see a bathroom, I have to go. I guess I have been lucky over the years that I didn't die, or get really sick.

I have to go to the bathroom, because if I saw bugs in the food, I would pee all over myself, and then the next thing I knew, there would be a thread started about people that pee on themselves on planes.:D

ToddDH February 3rd, 2011 01:25 AM

Decades ago on a flight to Miami, I had to go. It was a little turbulent but not that bad. I went into the bathroom, shut the door, lifted the seat, started to go and at that moment, the airplane hit one hell of an air pocket.

Need I elaborate further?

Todd

Kuki February 3rd, 2011 01:39 AM

I was on an Alaska Air flight once, and there was no sink in the bathrooms. They only had packaged wet wipes. I'd have thought that would be illegal... but apparently not.

That was the only and last time I flew Alaska Air.

venice February 3rd, 2011 05:10 AM

as bad as an airline lav may be..the 1st time i was in Instanbul and visited the Blue Mosque, I found my way into the public "men's room"..it was a hole in the ground...as bad as i had to go, i held it until i got back to the ship....that's saying something because i grew up the first 12 years of my life without indoor plumbing so i knew what an outhouse was

johnthed0g February 3rd, 2011 06:46 AM

You get those "hole in the ground" lavs in Europe, or as someone described one to me ..."a hole, two footprints & a straining bar!" What on earth is that about? who thought of this system....medieval? not really they had sit down lav's in Roman times & in old castles over here. I blame the French (we tend to blame the French for everything here, failing that the Germans, but the Germans don't do that ''toilet hole'' thing)

Paul Motter February 3rd, 2011 01:31 PM

I am also a victim of the power of suggestion. It stems from once having a blocked ureter while visiting Tijuana. I had an operation about two weeks previously that left a few blod clots in my urine.

We went to Tijuana and started drinking beer, and I had to go, and it wouldn't come out. OMG!

We had to rush back over the border and get me to an emergency room in San Ysidro. It took two hours and the pain was horrible. You can imagine what the border check was like.

Anyway - at the ER were 100 people, so I had to wait. So I went in the mens room and decided to try it from a different angle and it came out. It turns out men have a straighter path when sitting.

ANYWAY - since then I can't leave the house without going first, or get on a plane, bus, etc. I once had a twilight-zone like panic attack getting on a city to city bus in Jersey and seeing no restroom.

I think it is surprising how many people here have completely different preferences and ways of doing such a simple thing. I am sure the industry (like the Japanese toilet makers) already know all this stuff, but geeze - what a surprising amount of diversity.

Paul Motter February 3rd, 2011 01:34 PM

And the worst "hole in ground" I ever saw was in China - it was a trench in a public place with nothing to push the debris along (even the Romans had running water in the sewers). And no way to wash up afterwards.

Not a sanitary place. Even a major tourist attraction in a major city had no running water, sad.