CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Yes, No, Maybe So? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/381265-yes-no-maybe-so.html)

Trip March 17th, 2011 05:23 PM

Yes, No, Maybe So?

I am getting mixed signals about carrying my passport in Europe. Clear it up for me please:)

In Dubrovnik, carry it...

In Italy carry it.....they use it for purchases?:confused:

I want to leave it onboard, so,well seasoned travelers, what's the skinny?

Kuki March 17th, 2011 06:37 PM

The only thing I have ever been asked to show my passport for in Europe (other than airports) is checking into hotels.

Warn your credit card company that you'll be in overseas, and in several countries, so they don't stop any purchases you might want to make. I've used ATMs in Europe with no problems as well. Use bank ATMs, and don't use the sidewalk money exchanges.

Don't exchange money on the ship because their rates are way too high.

Kuki March 17th, 2011 06:38 PM

I carry a photo copy of my passports in my wallet.

Mike M March 17th, 2011 06:48 PM

Trip:

I carry my passport with me when I am taking my own excursions and tours.

Is it really needed? I have only had to show it a couple of times when using my credit card and in places like China and Russia it is a requirement.

The choice is yours but I would definitely take it in Croatia.

Like Kuki said, use bank ATM's and do not use the sidewalk no-name ATM's. I also do not use travelers checks. Get some Euros when you land at the airport and if you need more just get them at the ports.

Take care,
Mike

Fern March 17th, 2011 07:19 PM

I believe it's required that you show your passport in Croatia. Otherwise, it's up to you.

anniegb March 17th, 2011 07:33 PM

Like Kuki says, I show my passport when I check into a hotel.

After that, the passport sits in the safe.

I think the suggestion of a photocopy of the passport is a good one.

Annie

Trip March 17th, 2011 07:35 PM

From John Heald's Blog, you will need it in Croatia.

anniegb March 17th, 2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1360282)
From John Heald's Blog, you will need it in Croatia.

May I ask why? Curiosity....

I have been in Croatia and never had the need... but again I was on a land vacation.

Annie

Trip March 17th, 2011 07:49 PM

Isn't it amazing how quickly information passes from one to another??
From John's blog...

While we will not be taking your passports onboard or require you to go through customs and immigration it is still possible to get your passport stamped in many of the ports of call. The places you will visit with the exception of Dubrovnik, Croatia, are all part of the European Union and thus have open borders. However, if you take your passport to the local post offices in Naples, Venice, Cannes and Florence or Livorno they will stamp them for you. I have not heard of anyone being able to do this though in the Vatican. I don’t think that is possible as they don’t have an official crossing area just a ring of different coloured pavement marking the boundaries.

You will need to take your passport ashore in Croatia as everyone needs to have their proof of citizenship with them when they proceed ashore and if you ask the inspectors they will stamp the passport for you.
I hope this helps and if you have any questions about these ports and what to do there please let me know. See you soon and thanks again for those kind words.

anniegb March 17th, 2011 07:59 PM

Trip

I was about to amend my post and say it maybe because Croatia is not part of the EU.

I will be revisiting Croatia on a land vacation this year - it will be interesting to see if things have changed from my last visit.

You learn something new every day :)

Annie

Kuki March 17th, 2011 08:04 PM

Last summer when we sailed into Croatia on the Nieuw Amsterday, no on asked for my passport.

As Mike said though.. when I do private excursions I do carry it as insurance.

If you want to carry it just pick up one of those under the shirt neck wallets; not expensive.

thecruisequeen March 17th, 2011 09:29 PM

Always in Croatia by land and not by ship the passport is not needed once you leave the airport. (other then hotel check in)

John H. states that there is an inspector checking passport so I would take the passport with you.
This could also be something new that they are now doing.

However you may take your passport just to find out that there is no inspector. :|:mad:

I would take it if that is what the Cruiseline is telling cruisers to do.

This is what you can say to the inspector.....:-P:-P:-P:-P

Ovoya moi pachaporat....Hvala
(Here is my passport....Thank you) :p:p:p:p:p:p

Parrot Mom March 17th, 2011 10:19 PM

Passports

KUKI has the best advice...first of all photocopy your passports and have those with you...and buy one of those wallets/hangers you can attach to your neck (inside your shirt) or your belt with the actual passport. We always keep our passport in the safe in our cabin or hotel Never have had a problem...then again we had never been to Croatia.

Trackypup March 17th, 2011 10:40 PM

We've been to Croatia a couple of times by ship, no passport is required. I don't take it off the ship

LisaK March 18th, 2011 09:24 AM

i think that i would err on the side of caution just to be sure, take your passport with you, tuck it into one of the pockets of your crossbody bag

Jacqueline March 18th, 2011 11:52 AM

Trip, maybe a call to the embassy is a good thing to do?

It's an interresting question since we do the Magic in september, and googled on our ID requirements, being European.

I dont know the rules for cruisepassengers according to visa and such.

I do know that when ID is required by any authority (if it happens :D ) a photocopy of your passport is not valid in Europe.

In some cases when using creditcard in shops, they can ask you for a passport, usually the bigger purchases.

But then again, you might not encounter all of this :D

Make that call or send email to be sure!