Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default When did you get a computer?

We got our computer in 1996. A big bulky machine that took us into another world. Everyone I knew was on AOL & It was a per minute charge back then, and for a while there, it could take you a hour to just log on,and once we did, it was a very, very, short chat, in the Cruise Cafe.

I remember the very first time I heard the word email. Sears, where I was working in the 80's, got computers for the managers. Mine was showing me a little about it, and, said we get emails,and I loolked at her quizically,and said, what's an email.

And, so it began, a life changing way of comminicating,and who knew just how many updates in this world, we would see..It still amazes me, even though I do have gremlins living in mine..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

My first computer was an IBM 360/2065. Now it would not fit in my garage with the memory systems and disk drives. It had a whopping 512Kb of storage that was about the same size as 23 cubic ft. refrigerator freezer.

My first "Personal" computer was a Commodore 64 with 64Kb of memory. After that it was the original IBM PC XT in 1983. It had an actual hard drive. I think it was 10MB. It also cost $1800.

Oh how things have changed.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 18th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Admiral

Our first was a Commodore 64 that we bought in 1984 .We bought our first PC in 1999 .
Old March 18th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Wow, I can't really remember! I worked for a civil engineer and we used a computer based in St. Louis at McDonald Douglas. We used paper tape and it was a PITA :evil: !

At home, we used AOL. DH was really "into" computer's and I was "kicking and screaming" all the way!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old March 18th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Admiral

Default Work computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post
Wow, I can't really remember! I worked for a civil engineer and we used a computer based in St. Louis at McDonald Douglas. We used paper tape and it was a PITA :evil: !

At home, we used AOL. DH was really "into" computer's and I was "kicking and screaming" all the way!

I think the first work computer I recall was in 1971 .The first that I personally used at work was in 1985.
Old March 18th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Great question...

I made the whole family buy Vic 20s in about 1986 - (I really don't remember) and we had a blast with them one Christmas. All we did was play games.

I learned how to program is basic (!) - self taught because it was easy. I actually got pretty good at it. Later on in college I learned how to program Hypercard on a Mac (of all things).

Strangely, I never learned basic DOS. I was using Macs at home until the first version of windows came along and then I bought a Windows 3 (that was the first version of windows) computer in about 1992. I have not owned a MAC since.

I remember the excitement of Windows 95 coming out - they turned the Empire State Building Windows colors (whatever those used to be).

I do remember I started using multiple monitors in Win95 almost right away because it offered, and for YEARS no one else knew how to do it. I haven't had less than three monitors to work on since 1999.
Old March 18th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Admiral

Wow, Paul, you're like a bingo maven who plays 20 cards..THREE monitors?

Old March 18th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Admiral

When I was in highschool one of my friends took a word processing class .He hoped to get a job working with computers .I told him that computers are just a dream ,they will never do the work of a person .
Old March 18th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Admiral

Default When Did You Get a Computer

Keith bought a Tandy in 1987 and was hooked from thereafter! Pretty primitive compared to today! I, too, have been dragged kicking and screaming.

A lot of what is done via computer is truly amazing, but I continue to think that e-mail is wonderous. And now I can get a new book under a minute on that addictive gadget called a Kindle!

Judy
Old March 18th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Admiral

Like a lot of folks, I didn't get my first PC with Windows 95 until just before I retired in '96 and moved back home. I forget what brand it is (I say is because it's still downstairs in the basement!).

I lived in the middle of IBM country and when I was a Town Councilman we could have got an IBM main frame monster for a mere pittance. Although only a few years old it was obsolete already and originally cost millions. You techies like Mike will understand this when I say although it sounded like a no-brainer, it was but not in the way onr might expect. While you could have probably programed something like turning off/on every light switch in a good portion of Dutchess County or something like that not to mention run the whole town, you would have had to employ some real true life IBM computer programmer types to operate it and the electric bill would have bankrupted the town, not to mention we would have had to build a significantly sized building just to house the monster!

Today, I wouldn't be all that surprised if my new HP PC which I still don't use because I'm so used to this one (a friend finally got this old one to work again correctly) were to do almost as much if not more in some areas than that one did back then.

At some point, I'll move this one into the back bedroom and put the new one here in the sun room (after my wife's niece Adelaide and my niece DeAnna come back to take care of all of Fran's things-probably right after I return from Cleveland. I'm still at the stage where I can't even open any of her bureau drawers, etc.

Todd
Old March 19th, 2011, 02:18 AM
Admiral

Mine was a Commodore 64 and I still have one less than 10 feet away from where I sit right now. ;-)

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old March 19th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

In 1992 I bought a personal computer. I don't remember the brand but it had the amazing amount of 1 mb of ram!! It moved so slow it went backwards. Back then in rural NH there were few internet carriers. I was on AOL for about $20 a month. I had a list of the phone numbers to dial to get online. The nearest one was a long distance number. My phone bills were huge. Eventually NH moved into the real world and there were internet carriers everywhere. I paid about $20 for 20 hours. I remember being so amazed at what I could do with it. At the time I was trying to locate someone from my past. I would find a website that had lists of people searching for other people. I would set the computer to download the info I needed, Then I would go to the kitchen and brew some coffee while I waited for the download.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old March 19th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
My first computer was an IBM 360/2065. Now it would not fit in my garage with the memory systems and disk drives. It had a whopping 512Kb of storage that was about the same size as 23 cubic ft. refrigerator freezer.

I just looked back at this picture and the scary thing is that I still remember what every function was for all of those buttons, switches and lights. Also the blinking lights looked REALLY cool. Computers went down hill when they got rid of the blinking lights.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old March 19th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Admiral

Was univac the name of the computer Art Linkletter referred to in the 50's?

Old March 19th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Admiral

I believe we got our first computer in 1995. My husband, Rob had a career as a programmer/analyst so of course we had to keep up with the latest technology. How this "technology" is archaic now!
Old March 19th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Admiral

Trip, I don't know about Linkletter but the first real computer developed I believe during the war was a UNIVAC.

I read about a year ago that were you to have made a cell phone back in the 1950's, you'd have to carry something around the size of the Empire State Building around in your purse!

Todd
Old March 19th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Administrator
Admiral

ENIAC was originally recognized as the first digital, programmable computer. Actually it was the ABC computer that was developed at Iowa State. Sometimes in the early 70's a judge declared the ENIAC patent as invalid and delcared the ABC (I can't remember what it stands for) as the original.

The ENIAC computer had almost 20,000 vacuum tubes and could not fit in a standard home. It had far less computing power than a current hand held, programmable, pocket calculator.

There is an old story about An Wang. He was the developer of core memory that was used almost all mainframe systems until the 90's. IBM's original offer to him was $1/byte of memory. That meant that he would receive $1,000,000 for each meg of memory IBM sold. At that time Wang thought that there was no way computer would have more than a couple thousand bytes of memory and the deal was not lucrative so he went with a deal that gave him a few hundred thousand dollars. He would have been a trillionaire if he would have taken the deal but an IBM computer that was sold in the 80's or 90's would have been 100x the cost.

Take care,
Mike

Old March 19th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Admiral

used them at work since 1977..my first personal computer is the one I still have , my son purchased it for me 8 years ago so he could email me pictures of my soon to be born grandson

like Todd, I grew up in IBM country and alot of my friends parents worked for IBM so I have a Thinkpad laptop and love it