CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Inside cabin :PROS and CONS (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/381486-inside-cabin-pros-cons.html)

Lakers Fan March 25th, 2011 09:44 PM

Inside cabin :PROS and CONS

What are the pros and cons of an inside cabin .We've never booked one ,we've had a balcony ,outside and a porthole on our past cruises .

ToddDH March 25th, 2011 09:52 PM

Henry,

I've never had an inside cabine on any of our three cruises and there's a second verse to that song. Of course some people love them because they're not in them so much and they are admittedly cheaper.

We had the same type cabin (actually the same cabin two years in a row) on the Explorer of the Seas and it was an oversized forward facing over the bow above the bridge with a humongous picture window. As I always say, I'd like to see the iceberg before we actually plow into it. :) It is 211 sq. ft. so it's spacious.

Most ships don't have forward facing cabins although on the larger RCI ships Explorer and above, they also have inside cabins with windows looking down on the Royal Promenade.

I think I'd find the interior a bit too claustrophobic for my tastes and opt at least for an outside with a porthole if not a balcony.

It's all a matter of preference.

Todd

Trip March 25th, 2011 10:04 PM

We had one, once...the lack of natural light is the most important thing, and, the ability to see the sights as we pull out and into ports, is something we enjoy.

Manuel March 25th, 2011 10:21 PM

I have crossed the Atlantic in an inside cabin, when I first came to the US as an eleven year old.

I crossed the Pacific in an inside compartment of a troop carrier.

Never again do I want an inside cabin. It feels like you are in a cave or a coal mine.

Now I sail with a balcony.

TM

Lakers Fan March 25th, 2011 11:00 PM

I suffer from occular migraines .When I get an attack I need to be in complete darkness or as close to it as possible ,however ,i have never gotten an attack on either a sea or a land cruise .

HawkeyeFLA March 25th, 2011 11:30 PM

Pro: Price
Con: The lack of light as mentioned. I did 7n in an inside and I had a really had a hard time waking up each morning.

T C March 26th, 2011 01:11 AM

Hhmmmmm? Another point of view ...... :D

Assuming that you are NOT claustrophobic ... being a light sleeper, I like the idea of being able to block out all outside light.

I have booked inside cabins before and have rolled up a towel and placed it at the bottom of the door to block out the hallway light so I could be in complete darkness. The best inside cabins for peace, QUIET, and darkness are midship in the center hallways, these are usually the larger inside cabins as well.

There are so many open decks to enjoy arrival and sail away from port, that unless you plan on spending most of your time in your cabin, you are not missing much.

It really comes down to how important "light" is to you, I've booked balconies and put a chair in front of the curtain to hold it tight against the window/door to block the light out. I loved sitting on the balcony and watching the ocean go by ... but didn't sleep as well as I do in the dark :mrgreen:

The important part is .... you're on a cruise!!! :p Have fun! :p

Manuel March 26th, 2011 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1362442)
I suffer from occular migraines .When I get an attack I need to be in complete darkness or as close to it as possible ,however ,i have never gotten an attack on either a sea or a land cruise .

In you case an inside cabin might be a good thing. But if you never had an attack at sea, you probably would not need an inside cabin.

TM

venice March 26th, 2011 01:30 AM

depends..on the full charter smooth jazz cruises there is so much music activity that we are in our inside cabin only from about 0230 am thru 800 am and my body clock is geared to rising early, so the total darkness does not bother me..plus there is a cost factor involved

on a "normal" cruise, I would try to book a balcony because there is so much "down " time and we would spend more time in our cabin

skymaster March 26th, 2011 08:17 AM

We've sailed in all of the catagorys of cabin, except perhaps the "owners suite" but more often than not we book, and totally enjoy an inside. As noted above, the total darkness makes it easier to take that "afternoon nap" so that we can be totally rested, and enjoy a full evening of music, and entertainment, without dozing off in the theater. ;) The cost is a BIG factor as well, and I'm sure that if I had to pay for a balcony on every cruise, we couldn't take the 6 or more cruises per year that we enjoy. Bottom line is that the cabin just isn't that important to us, and being able to enjoy multiple cruises per year is, so when we want to sit and watch the waves go by, we head for the aft pool. :D

"SKY"

rollerdonna March 26th, 2011 08:30 AM

My very first cruise was an inside cabin, and I still remember the hilarious comedy of errors when the phone rang with our wake up call and we couldn't find the phone in the dark. We were stumbling all over each other, falling out of bed, knocking things off the counter, cursing the darn thing to stop ringing!
I did not mind the inside cabin at the time, as I did not know anything else.
But now that I have had many cruises, all with balconies, I don't think I could ever go back to an inside, although with finances as they are lately, that may be our only option ....

donna

beenie weenie March 26th, 2011 09:56 AM

I've had insides, balconies and mini suites. Of course the mini suite is my favorite, but it cost more than the inside.

I typically spend a lot more time in my cabin when I have a balcony or mini suite. If I have an inside, I usually am in it just to rest or sleep and change clothes. The darkness really does help for those of us who have trouble sleeping and usually the insides on the lower decks are quieter, with less foot traffic and you notice less motion, if you prone to sea sickness, this can make things much more pleasant.

I am very happy to cruise in pretty much any category cabin. The balcony is nice to have but I won't pay an arm and a leg for it.

suse March 26th, 2011 10:42 AM

We've had them all, except for the PH. I'm at the point where I'm just not willing to pay top dollars for cabins, so I'm pretty content with a mid-ship OV.
The last cruise we took, last week on the Zuiderdam, I think we sailed for half the cost because we took an obstructed OV. Works for me.:D

Kamloops Cruiser March 26th, 2011 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1362413)
What are the pros and cons of an inside cabin .We've never booked one ,we've had a balcony ,outside and a porthole on our past cruises .

I have a numbers of pros for inside

1 - cost ( a lot less)- can cruise more often
2 - Darkness - room is totally dark for sleeping and resting
3 - Warmer on Alaska cruises

Con

1 - Temerature hard to control in warm climates
2 - Tend to be a little noisier due to being closer to machinery

balabusta March 26th, 2011 11:31 AM

Rob and I have had inside, outside and balcony cabins. If the price of an outside cabin is only $50 more, we will opt for and outside cabin. However, we are not in our cabin that much, so for us, we usually opt for an inside cabin. I would rather have the extra money to use for excursions and shopping in the ports.

Moiraine March 26th, 2011 12:16 PM

I've only had OV but have booked an inside for the next one, which isn't for a loooong time yet. I don't really care for being in the room that much but the cousin I'll be going with has health problems and likes to rest in the room a lot. Well, she likes to kick back in bed and watch tv. I keep thinking maybe I should upgrade because I'm not sure if I'll be able to spend much time in an inside with the tv going. She was clingy on the last cruise, which was her first. I hope that now that she's got the hang of it that I'll be able to get out more. A balcony would be ideal for this cruise but I'm afraid I might get spoiled, and I don't have the money for a balcony every cruise.

Snoozeman March 26th, 2011 12:36 PM

If I'm adding a 'tweener' cruise and looking for value I have no problem with an interior. We always separate the bed for more room.

They are not any noisier than the O/V's located across the hall--noise is determined by location. There are LOTS of interiors on the upper decks.

We have turned down upgrades to OV's if we have one of the large interior cabins on some RCCL ships.

CruisinK n J March 26th, 2011 12:48 PM

Inside Cabin: Pros and Cons

I'd never book an inside cabin. Too claustrophobic for me. Both HAL and Princess offer obstructed view cabins at a lesser price. I'll opt for one of those next time I cruise. We know people who have done that and were not bothered by the view being obstructed by a tender. Both couples had cabins with a partial view, though.

Judy

Judy

Aerogirl March 26th, 2011 02:45 PM

No balcony, no cruise period! :p

thecruisequeen March 26th, 2011 05:58 PM

I have always cruised in an inside and will continue to cruise in an inside.

I'm a VERY light sleeper and I love the pitch darkness in the cabin.

Love the less expensive cost of an inside. Plus I can take more cruises booking insides vs balconys.

I'm never in the cabin anyway. Even if I had a balcony I would only use it to dry off wet swimsuits. :p:p (which I can do poolside anyway)

The inside cabin and myself are a perfect match. :p:rolleyes:8-):p

The inside cabin is not for everyone just as the balcony is not for everyone. Cruisers should book accordingly. If you will get use of the balcony or need light go for it. If you are not going to sit on the balcony save the money and go with inside (or window).

Either way balcony or inside.....It's a cruise...:twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

Manuel March 26th, 2011 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecruisequeen (Post 1362574)

Either way balcony or inside.....It's a cruise...:twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

That is true! The main thing is to cruise and enjoy. :D

TM

Fern March 26th, 2011 09:16 PM

We've been in Ocean View and Balcony cabins. I'm a bit claustrophobic, so I don't think I could stand an Inside cabin.

We do spend time in our cabin (we sleep, nap, read, watch a movie...), so we prefer a balcony for the extra space and the "air" flow.

Lakers Fan March 26th, 2011 10:01 PM

When I am home or on vacation I always sleep with a light on in the hallway .If I booked an inside I would do the same . We are still debating this .

dfhawk60 March 27th, 2011 11:35 AM

i made the mistake of thinking that the inside was the same as the ocean view, just without the window, for a cruise on the carnival Glory. as it turns out the inside was a bit smaller and with out the couch. still had a wonderful time, but the bottom line, less sitting area and too small for us. keep in mind that this is not this same for all cruise lines.

we use to sail in ocean views until i found a deal on a balcony. i came across a cruise that fit our scheduled with the same price for both the ocean view and balcony and made the mistake of trying the balcony. that was the end of ocean views. my bride fell in love with the balcony and now that is the only option. i am the cruise addict, so anything she wants for me to get her on the ship, she gets!!! we will go ocean view for the smaller ships where only the suites have balconies, but we prefer the larger ships anyway.

its just a matter of taste and budget.

Parrot Mom March 27th, 2011 12:02 PM

Me too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerogirl (Post 1362550)
No balcony, no cruise period! :p

ME TOO... once I discovered the joy of balcony more than 15 years ago I wont cruise without one.:)In a regular cabin I always felt claustraphobic and let's not even talk about an inside...I would feel suffocated..I think I suffer from SAAD and the more light the better. We do use our cabin for naps, reading and unwinding... Frankly, at our age I want all the extras we can afford and on the Celebrity line we go for the CC level. Sadly, I think our cruising days are over, we would like to sneak in just one more...but it does't look likely...:mad:

Moiraine March 27th, 2011 12:28 PM

I'm sorry to hear that Parrot Mom. I do hope you get to sneak in another one.

Jacqueline March 27th, 2011 02:12 PM

We did an inside, an OV, and a balcony.
Love to have that balcony on every cruise, cause we really enjoy that, but budgetwise its not always doable, combined with our airfare to cross the pond.
Inside it is for us. :cool:

nlb1050 March 27th, 2011 03:58 PM

We always book inside. Mainly because of price. One time we got an upgrade to a balcony and really did not spend that much time on it and when we did have the door open it made the room too warm. As to being able to watch sail away I really prefer to be up on the Lido or higher for that, actually get to see so much more there than on a balcony.

The only con that I can think of for an inside is if you are claustrophobic then with not at least being able to look out a window it would make the claustrophobia worse.

I don't go on a crusie to spend time in a room, I go to meet new people and see the sights.

Lakers Fan March 27th, 2011 10:53 PM

I am open to any cabin type ,Mrs.Henry43 prefers OV ,therefore we decided on OV .

Bruce Chafkin1 March 28th, 2011 03:56 AM

Over the past decade, the mass market lines have become quite sophisticated in filtering and evaluating ratings and comments on the comment forms most people complete at the end of the cruise.

One of the most consistent trends we have identified is the relationship between cabin category and ratings/complaints.
Passengers staying in inside cabins complain considerably more, and generally rate the cruise lower, than passengers who stay in outside and balcony cabins.

I have yet to see a comprehensive explanation for this phenomena.
We do know that a rather high percentage of inside cabin dwellers complain on the first day of the cruise that their cabin is "not what they expected".

Do inside cabin dwellers just like to complain more?
Do inside cabin dwellers expect more even though they have paid less?
Is an inside cabin so uncomfortable that it negatively colors all the other elements of the cruise?
Most inside cabin dwellers tend to spend less money per day than other passengers. Does this lessen their cruise experience and cause them to complain more and rate the cruise lower?
We generally assign less experienced cabin stewards to sections with inside cabins. Could a lower service standard in these cabins result in lower ratings for everything else onboard?