CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   App...a new word,and a new world! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/381925-app-new-word-new-world.html)

Trip April 15th, 2011 12:26 PM

App...a new word,and a new world!

Technology just continues to amaze! If someone told us,when we were kids, what the future would be like, we would have called them crazy.

Everybody is phone crazy, and there are a skillion apps for just about anything! I just opened my Entertainment Weekly magazine,and if you put your smart phone on the thingamajig, you can watch the trailers for the movies they are reviewing!! Amazing!!

For me, my flip phone won't allow me that, but that's ok:) I hardly ever use it anyway.

For you Techies...what is your favorite app?

Lakers Fan April 15th, 2011 12:57 PM

For me its something called the Rotary Telephone.

CabinFever April 15th, 2011 01:10 PM

Seriously.....what is an "app"? I don't have an iphone, but my grown kids do and I have no idea what an "app" is??? By having "one" (an app), what does that mean and what does it cost? I love technology "stuff", but I just can't put my hands around this one. HA! :confused:

Lakers Fan April 15th, 2011 02:55 PM

I own a cell phone and a computer but thats it for me as far as modern conveniences .

Queen of Oakville April 15th, 2011 03:56 PM

lol ~ the thingamajig is called a QR code.

I haven't used one, but I need to try it out! There so many amazing applications. For example, a friend of mine is a real estate agent and she uses these for her listings so clients can "suck" up information about the listing into their phones.

I have a blackberry torch. I love it! So far, I've mostl downloaded the free aps. I use alot of the games, and found some great kid games too. I paid 99 cents for a great trivia game, and have since downloaded the canadian and entertmainment question expanasion packs. It will definitely be put to use on our next car trip.

Mike M April 15th, 2011 05:50 PM

Word "App" is short for Application. It is a term that has been used for many years in the Information Technology world. An application is a program or group of programs that perform a specific function.

The browser you use to see this and surf the web is an "App". This message board is an "App" on the Cruisemates server.

My favorite "App" is probably the browser on my Blackberry. I also love my Worldmate App that is basically a travel organizer. It keeps track of flights, hotel and cruise reservations. It makes it easy to bring up flight information, booking numbers, hotel confirms...etc.

Take care,
Mike

Queen of Oakville April 16th, 2011 10:38 AM

Worldmate? Cool, I will check that out! Please feel free to recommend any others that you like!

venice April 16th, 2011 03:53 PM

did you know that the Vatican released a mobile application for those that need a Priest in a "pinch"..you can purchase thru itunes

as a former Catholic alter boy, I find this disturbing on so many levels:rolleyes:

Lakers Fan April 16th, 2011 09:29 PM

Happy 84th.birthday to Pope Benedict

Kuki April 17th, 2011 01:23 AM

I just switched this week from a Blackberry to the Iphone. Iphone has a gazzillion apps available, many free.

Now I just need an app that tells me how all the aps work.

BTW.. I prefer the email on Blackberry, but other apps seem easier to use on the Iphone.

And the Iphone 4G has a camera that takes excellent pictures.

DonD April 17th, 2011 04:49 AM

Here's a fun one, just click on the video:
Google Sky Map for Android

Trip April 17th, 2011 08:51 AM

Bruce has an app, that let's you lighten your keychain. He loaded all the loyalty cards..supermarkets, drug stores etc, so now they just beep his phone in the stores..

Queen of Oakville April 17th, 2011 01:44 PM

Now that is an app that I could use, not to lighten my keychain, but my wallet. I have more loyalty cards than I know what to do with.

LizandPhil April 17th, 2011 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuki (Post 1366494)
I just switched this week from a Blackberry to the Iphone. Iphone has a gazzillion apps available, many free.

Now I just need an app that tells me how all the aps work.

BTW.. I prefer the email on Blackberry, but other apps seem easier to use on the Iphone.

And the Iphone 4G has a camera that takes excellent pictures.

Try app start, I have found it very useful

Trip April 21st, 2011 07:01 AM

Anyone sailing on Royal Caribbean, might find this app interesing.

Ship Mate - Royal Caribbean - Android app on AppBrain

HawkeyeFLA April 23rd, 2011 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1367175)
Anyone sailing on Royal Caribbean, might find this app interesing.

Ship Mate - Royal Caribbean - Android app on AppBrain

Looks like they have it for numerous cruise lines, tho since my next booked cruise is RCCL, that's all I've installed for now.

Trip August 12th, 2011 04:23 PM

Has anyone seen that commercial where the man is in Italy,and, he speaks a phrase into his phone,and this app transaltes it into Italian, so the local can understand him?

What a great thing if you are traveling overseas, especially like asking for a rest room:) I think it would be worth every penny for this app.