Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 9th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
This is an excellent question that I can answer for you.
Transatlantic cruisers don't spend very much money onboard.
There are no Shore Tours to speak of (a major revenue producer).
T/A passengers eat about 50% more food than cruisers on other itineraries.
The ship burns far more very expensive fuel on Transatlantics.

When you add up the numbers, it does not make financial sense to promote transatlantic cruises that cost more to run, and yield far less revenue. This all results in lower profits.
We have shareholders who are expecting a good return for their investments. So we position ships in areas that are less costly, and yield higher onboard revenues. That results in higher profits, happier shareholders, and job security for us.
Now THIS makes sense. I really hadn't thought about that aspect of the cruise, but you're absolutely correct. Most of the revenue producing "extras" don't exist if they don't stop at a port every day or two. (They'd have to have BINGO every hour, on the hour, and 24 hours a day!)
HMMM,,,50% more food? How is that possible, except for the fact that the passengers are aboard 100% of the time. I guess that would probably make up difference, with the extra meals served etc. WOW,,,think about how much chocolate melting cake they'd serve! 8)
Thanks for the answer,,,,I truly appreciate it!

"SKY"
Old May 9th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Admiral

with so many different nationalities and cultures that make up a cruise ship's staffing..how do the cruiselines work behind the scenes to honor different cultural aspects and religous preferences (i.e. how do they all get along so well, at least when in public display)

we all know they sign short term (8 months to 1 year) contracts..do the major cruise lines have some type of matching savings plan that will reward the crew for long term employment?

how does a crewmember actually send $$$ home to their families ? (i.e. does Carnival have international direct deposit)

Paul..since you have worked on cruise ships you often try to provide a compassionate perspective of the crew members for the general public..can you write an article about the changing perceptions that the paying guests have and maybe some insight about how the crew see the changes in attitude by the guests (i.e. tipping in advance etc)
Old May 9th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Thank you Venice, I like all of the suggestions in the previous post.

Old May 9th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
What I don't understand in comparing is why would people select a more expensive cruise, over a less expensive.

I have truely enjoyed Kuki posting of his lastest cruise. I knew nothing about the Crystal line, so I went to their web site.

I was completely blown away by the prices. I can understand if the ship is going to an area where no others travel, but to spend thousands of dollars more for the same trip is shocking, unless it is all about the rep of the line, not being caught dead on a Carnival type ship.
Luanne, the experience can be so different. If you are someone that loves the cruise experience no matter what (someone like Kuki), then price is a differentiator. If, on the other hand, where things like ability to special order food, less crowded space, no problems getting lounger by pool, more personal interaction with staff and other passengers make a difference, it is harder to do an apples to apples comparison.

For example, I will never cruise a line with fixed dinner seating. I want to be able to choose different dinner companions, different time, different restaurant every night. So, I could be talked into NCL but not Crystal.

I just spent about $2500 per person for a one week caribbean cruise. That included my alcohol and shore excursions and wife's facial. There are people that get suites on Celebrity or Princess that easily spent that amount, too. Of course, the majority do not; they might have spent $800-$1000 plus whatever was spent on board.

I travel for the itinerary but I want to be comfortable doing it. The nice thing is that there are cruiselines that satisy everyone's unique desires.

Marc

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old May 9th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Marc, That makes sense. I want to step up from Carnival, but don't want to spend that much as Crystal wants, if I don't have to. I need to investagate the ones in between.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old May 9th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
with so many different nationalities and cultures that make up a cruise ship's staffing..how do the cruiselines work behind the scenes to honor different cultural aspects and religous preferences (i.e. how do they all get along so well, at least when in public display)

we all know they sign short term (8 months to 1 year) contracts..do the major cruise lines have some type of matching savings plan that will reward the crew for long term employment?

how does a crewmember actually send $$$ home to their families ? (i.e. does Carnival have international direct deposit)

Paul..since you have worked on cruise ships you often try to provide a compassionate perspective of the crew members for the general public..can you write an article about the changing perceptions that the paying guests have and maybe some insight about how the crew see the changes in attitude by the guests (i.e. tipping in advance etc)
Venice

From my days in Shipping, it is common practice that the crew set up monthly standing order payments to their families; we called them allotments.

Believe it or not a lot of seafarers liked to be paid in cash or ny cheque at the end of their trip; they walked down the gangway and got mugged.

I worked for several years liasing with American shipping companies and it took us months to persuade them to pay BoW direct into a Bank Account.

Annie
Old May 9th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I have actually seen some pretty reasonable deals on QM crossings. It is a very fuin trip and even with five or six days at sea it never gets boring.

Thanks for the ideas - I am using one for the newsletter today....

There is one basic thing about cruise buying many people - especially novices, do not know.

As far as luxury lines go - they are there for wealthy people with the money to spend on whatever they want. There are a lot of people in that category, although if you combine ALL of the luxury cruise line ships all together it might equal the capacity of one Carnival & one Royal Caribbean ship together.
Paul, what I meant by that, was how does one get the best deal or value for their dollar. We all know that you and I can be side by side on ship, and one of us can pay much more than the other for the exact same cabin. It could be dependant on booking direct, through an agent, on-line, specials, OBC, last-minute bookings etc. There are also ways to save by booking on older ships (ex. LOTS vs. Allure), or by booking during storm season. Other things for a newbie to consider are the categories of a cabin, location of cabin, deck selection etc. These are things I've learned over time, but might have been helpful to read about upfront.

Other topics come to mind:

-booking through an agent, directly or on-line (pro's - con's). You could talk about some of the horror stories of people who book on-line with a particular package, only to find those things aren't delivered on a ship.

-loyalty programs .... is it worth it to be loyal to one line? One of the things that really ticked me off last week was Royal's "refer a friend email" with an incentive of $25.00. Surely my referral is worth more than that?

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Admiral

Annie..thanks for the information..it's like when I was in the service and sent $$$ home every month

Luanne and Marc...I understand both your points..I often have a hard time explaining to people why I pay so much for the full charter smooth jazz cruises...if that's where one's passion is, your $$$ will follow