CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Memorial Day Monday (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/382793-memorial-day-monday.html)

rollerdonna May 30th, 2011 08:04 AM

Memorial Day Monday

Morning Mates, it's a holiday Monday for those of you in the US, here in Canada, it's just another Monday. We had our long weekend last week.

I'm wishing it was another holiday, 'cause I'm not ready to go back to work!
It was a busy Saturday, and I slept most of Sunday, so didn't get done what I had planned to do. Oh well, the yard will get gardened eventually...

We had major thunderstorms run through overnight - the lightning and boomers woke me up at 5 am! It's still very wet out, but looks like it might clear, and it's already 17C or62F, so very humid.

Today, it will be dentist, then snack shopping for the last month of the after school program, all before I go to work.

Enjoy your holiday everyone!

donna

skymaster May 30th, 2011 09:02 AM

G'Morning Donna, and all my "Mates". Being from the Indianapolis area, I watched, with great interest, the Indianapolis 500 yesterday. (We always had it on May 30th when I was a kid back home, so it seems strange to have it on any other day.) In any case, it was truly one of the best races I've ever seen! WOW,,,what an ending! (When I was a kid, I used to sell popcorn at the race, and at qualifications, in order to get in!) :p
Nothing on the schedule for today. I've got some yard work to do, so I'll probably get out there in the heat and humidity and move a bit of mulch until I get all hot and sweaty. rofl That gives me a good excuse to take a shower and enjoy T.V. and a cool drink this afternoon.
Hope you all have a GREAT day.

"SKY"

ToddDH May 30th, 2011 09:52 AM

Good morning Donna, Ken and all who follow!

Am finally back home to my humble abode.

Arrived in Celveland last Monday, had a battery of tests and then spent almost five hours "on the table" on Tuesday. They kept me overnight and was back at the Hotel downtown on Wednesday.

Took DeAnna out for her birthday at what is reputed to be the best steakhouse in Cleveland (even better than Mortons). Had taken one slice of my Kobe Beef filet and received a let's just say "troublesome" phone call concerning one of my cats being missing. The individual who made the call was told not to make it but did so anyway even managing to add that it was their opinion that if indeed th cat got out and wasn't just hiding, it was my fault for having some work done when I wasn't here.

DeAnna, who was sitting across from me literally thought I was having a heart attack. All the color drained from my face and she grabbed my wrist and took my pulse. It was all over the place. I told her I'd be fine by morning, not to concern herself and definitely not to call the hospital. Needless to say my over $350 dinner celebration ended immediately.

Turned out our cat sitter the next afternoon found Oliver hiding under a bed in the rear bedroom.

Unbeknownst to me DeAnna did call the hospital after we returned to the hotel and was told that even if I were back in sinus rhythm by the next morning to get my butt back over there. So much for leaving on Thursday.

Turned out I had been right, was back out of Atrial Fib but had "acquired" a dropped beat. Don't know where it dropped to...probably on the floor of the restaurant. They put me on a Holter monitor and we left Friday morning.

Some people don't have any common sense whatsoever but the individual was just worried and I should have realized is something of a "drama queen."

With the exeption of the above incident, the trip was successful and we both had a wonderful time. I just love Cleveland as the people are so friendly. It is also a town known for it's high quality beef houses.

What most folks don't know is that Cleveland was primarily founded by immigrants of a small island in the North Sea and from where DeAnna and her sisters grew up and their mother was born; the Isle of Man. Cleveland remains this day as having the largest Manx decendents population of any other place on Earth excepting, of course, the Island.

At any rate, it'll take about six weeks but hopefully I'll soon be much better and leading a more normal existence. Right now I'm only extraordinarily tired which is to be expected.

Had an absolutely marvelous lunch at a Bob Evans off I-71 with Sue and Homer. He had completely retired just the previous Friday and he has now joined the ranks of the "Everyday is Saturday" club. It couldn't happen to a nicer guy and an absolutely wonderful couple. We plan to get together again in the near future.

It's going to be in the low to mid nineties here all week so I 'reckon summer is finally here to stay.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Memorial Day and that the rest of the week is a pleasant one.

Prayers and Blessings continue.

Todd

Trip May 30th, 2011 10:09 AM

Hi Kids,
Hot and overcast at the moment, the entire week is looking at high temps..no whining here though:)

We had a mini barbeque, withthe immediate fam,and it was nice, with the 2 little ones playing in a little blow up pool..was fun to see them interact..The Braxillian meats were a hit,and we will be back there again to buy more this summer.

Todd, great to hear you are in the road back to a great healthy future. Slow and steady wins the race..xo

Make it a good one, with a nod to all those who serve our country.

Luanne Russo May 30th, 2011 11:13 AM

Good morning from a very windy Texas. As can be expected, today is a very somber day for us. We truely understand what the day means.

I have been up early watering the yard. It seems to be a never ending job. Hope to one day get a sprinkler system put in.

I will just try to stay busy today. Like other days of the year that make me sad, this to will begone finally.

Todd, So glad you are back home. I love you.

Jim and I spoke yesterday. It was 120 degrees, and the bugs that bite were coming through the air conditioner.:o I sure miss him.

I hope all of you have a good day. If you have a minute, remember those who died for your counrty. Pray for their families.

Luanne

Lakers Fan May 30th, 2011 11:25 AM

Good morning from rainy NY

Phyllbo May 30th, 2011 11:31 AM

Good morning from sunny WI where it seems summer has arrived. It's nice to be back. We had a good trip without incident except for the Cicada swarms in Nashville, and the horrendous rain as we approched Champainge IL. The Cicadas seemed to miss the windshield better than the love bugs in Florida, but those things looked like dive bombers heading straight at you!

Todd, I'm so glad to see that you are back home and recovering. So sorry you had to go through the trauma over the cat as well as all the other stuff you were going through. Hopefully you well get the rest you need and start to feeling better.

Have a good Memorial Day everyone and be sure to thank those in service for our country.

Phyll

beenie weenie May 30th, 2011 12:46 PM

Good Morning CruiseMates!
It is such a relief to hear from you Todd! I have been keeping an eye out for your posts. Deanna is such a rock, I am so happy that she was with you during this difficult week. I am also relieved to hear that Oliver the trickster is safe and sound. My Sami does the same thing anytime we are gone and hire a cat sitter. I have found that I am wasting my money hiring someone to come in, because it traumatizes the cat when someone that isn't us comes in and it traumatizes the cat sitter thinking that the cat went AWOL and it traumatizes me to think someone is searching the areas of the house I probably didn't have time to clean before we left in a hurry lol. Now Sebastion, he is happy either way. He is thrilled if we bring someone in to adore him and scratch behind his ears. or if we leave him alone to annoy and terrorize Sami. I think I am better off to just have a neighbor come in once a week to empty the litter box and to top off their feeders and refill the water fountain.

I spent the better part of yesterday cleaning out the garage. Unfortunately since we don't have a basement, it seems the garage catches the overflow and since my mobility was limited quite a bit last winter it seems like a lot more stuff got thrown out there than usual. Well I just couldn't take it anymore and pulled the old screamin' cha cha (the '87 Ford F250) up next to the garage door and I started chucking stuff into the bed of the truck. It is now full and the neighbor is going to take it to the dump for me today. I will continue the chucking upon his return with the truck lol. I feel like I am really making headway.

Well today is a new day. Lots of stuff I could be doing right now instead of sitting here at the computer. I had better get the lead out.

Have a wonderful day everyone and lots of thanks and gratitude to all of you who served in our military, who paid the price so we can enjoy our freedom!

beenie weenie May 30th, 2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phyllbo (Post 1373697)
Good morning from sunny WI where it seems summer has arrived. It's nice to be back. We had a good trip without incident except for the Cicada swarms in Nashville, and the horrendous rain as we approched Champainge IL. The Cicadas seemed to miss the windshield better than the love bugs in Florida, but those things looked like dive bombers heading straight at you!

Phyll

Phyl you should have hollered! I had no idea you were in Champaign on your way home. I would have loved to have seen you. You must have come through Saturday. We had 3 storm fronts come through and they dumped major amounts of rain. I am glad you made it home safe and sound. Next time you come through let me know!

CruisinK n J May 30th, 2011 02:14 PM

Memorial Day Monday

A late good morning to you all! It's a beautiful sunny day. Keith didn't go to the gym and instead, will do some house stuff. It's really quiet here: not an airplane going over, not a dog barking, not a car going by, not a bird tweeting. Even the new family of feral cats are napping.

Todd, I'm glad Oliver was found safe and sound and that you are home, safe and sound.

Enjoy your day of quiet whereever you are.

Judy

Manuel May 30th, 2011 03:00 PM

Hello Mates

I'm spending a quiet day today. I remember a good friend from high school who died in Vietnam. I had been home from the war for about ten days when I went to his funeral.

In a little while I am going over to visit my mom and that will be it for the day.

TM

Phyllbo May 30th, 2011 03:59 PM

Beanie,
I thought you lived somewhere not to far from Chapaigne. We'll probably stop there again next year on our way home to WI. We'll have to meet up for supper when we do.
You were right about the day and timing of the storms. At least no hail or tornadoes!

Phyll