Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 30th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Admiral

Default Guess what? 52% of companies can't fill jobs!

Just learned that 52% of companies in the US, mostly in manufacturing, can't find qualified people to fill their jobs!!!

Turns out, we can beat China at their own game except that currently we don't have young adults with the technical abilities necessary for both production and design.

Instead of insisting your child go to college, he/she might be far better off attending a good technical school. Those are the people industry needs and when they hire a qualified applicant, their future is assured and they are remunerated far better than BA's, MBA's, etc.

One technical school in I believe Michigan has a stockpile of four or five hundred high paying jobs. Trouble is, they only graduate 40-50 people a year!

What do you think?

Todd
Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
Just learned that 52% of companies in the US, mostly in manufacturing, can't find qualified people to fill their jobs!!!

Turns out, we can beat China at their own game except that currently we don't have young adults with the technical abilities necessary for both production and design.

Instead of insisting your child go to college, he/she might be far better off attending a good technical school. Those are the people industry needs and when they hire a qualified applicant, their future is assured and they are remunerated far better than BA's, MBA's, etc.

One technical school in I believe Michigan has a stockpile of four or five hundred high paying jobs. Trouble is, they only graduate 40-50 people a year!

What do you think?

Todd
Todd, this is not new news. I agree that we should be emphasizing technical schools and apprenticeships more; not everyone should be going to college.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old August 30th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

I have always believed that technical college degree would be more useful in the general work force, expecially if specializing in a specific trade. My son is a good example.... graduated from Wyotech and has a BD in automotive collision/paint and repair and management. He is currently working in the auto repair using the skills obtained in painting autos, with hopes of opening his own shop in the future.

Trade School = THUMBS UP in my eyes !

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old August 30th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Admiral

Of course the current situation involves technical skills, especially in tool and dye, electronics, etc.

It reminds me of an article I read over three decades ago in Reader's Digest about education and whether one should or should not go to college. An eminent and very successful writer was out in his yard one day talking to his neighbor who told him that his son was planning to become a doctor.

Having never given the issue a thought (he merely assumed his son was going to college), he asked his son what he wanted to do as a career. His son responded he wanted to be a carpenter! The father was stunned. Here he was a super educated and very successful author and his son wanted to become merely a "carpenter." Long story short, he supported his son's ambition. The son became an apprentice carpenter, then a journeyman and finally started his own building company. The company was wildly successful and the son became a millionaire in his own right.

Nevertheless, he still wanted his son to return to college. Why? The answer was simple, "To learn the Humanities." to the best of my knowledge, the son finally did.

In short, one doesn't have to go to college with merely financial goals in mind. I never went to college and have always regretted it. Thankfully I was raised in a family with a mother and grandmother with outrageous educations, even though as a result of the Depression my Mother's family lost everything (which indeed, was considerable) and her mother had to go to work as a school teacher. Nevertheless, I was raised around good music, good literature.....in short, what is considered by most to be an "elitist" word, "Culture." Don't knock the "Humanities." At 64 years of age, I am far better for it. I appreciate good literature, light classical music and light opera, Country, Big band, our good old fashioned Rock 'n roll, Southern Gospel, you name it (with the exception of today's music, especially "Rap" simply because it's not music). I now love good poetry while as a child I detested it.

Is this a result of my mother and my maternal grand mother? In great part yes, but it is also a result of a major influence in my life, a true member of the family who was 3/4 Black and 1/4 Cherokee who influenced me in my youngest years far more than most could fathom. If you want to know why or how, simply either read the book or see the movie, "The Help." Thankfully, we did not live in Mississippi at the time Dora, from the time she raised my Father and Aunt, was always a member of the family in virtually every aspect. When mother had we twins (she had to be about eighty then), she actually moved into the house. Truth be told I adored Dora, All my paternal grandmother with which she was concerned back in the thirties, was about her parties and flitting around the world than with raising her children. She was only worse when we came along. While in no way a racist, she nevertheless was in so many ways as the rich folk depicted in, "The Help." I sadly now admit I not only never loved the woman, I actually could not stand her. Actually, few could.

To wrap this us, please support your children in whatever lifelong endeavor they engage. Remember, we can't all be Physicians or Rocket Scientists but we can become the folks that make them successful.

Todd
Old August 31st, 2011, 05:50 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Todd, this is not new news. I agree that we should be emphasizing technical schools and apprenticeships more; not everyone should be going to college.
Marc - I agree.

However Todd is correct in retelling the facts. I watched a TV programme recently complaining recently about the lack of Chemical Engineers in the USA.

Fortunately and maybe unsurprisingly with my Scots background - engineers and teachers are the most popular professions in our family. The younger generation are carrying on that tradition.

I would encourage girls esp to enter engineering. My mother wanted me to
become an engineer but I never did but technically I am as capable as any of my brothers

IT,Finance and admin jobs may go East but 'hands on' jobs will always stay local.

Annie
Old August 31st, 2011, 06:58 PM
Admiral

Todd,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post

There are three issues here.

>> 1. We have a significant number of adults who failed to master the basic skills of reading, writing, and basic arithmetic that one should learn in elementary school, and thus are virtually untrainable and unemployable.

>> 2. We have a significant number of adults who failed to develop a decent work ethic, who actually work only when a supervisor is watching, and thus fail to do even an honest hour of work in a full workday. These adults are also unemployable.

>> 3. In many cases, the companies in question want to pay wages that are less than competitive. The result is that the qualified employees take employment with other companies instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
>> 1. A person who has the ability to go to a REAL college should do so, and those who can go on to graduate school also should do so.

>> 2. Those who do not have the intellectual ability to go to a REAL college probably will do better financially with vocational training than without.

>> 3. Nonetheless, one can do very well with only basic skills, a good work ethic, and a cheerful personality. Servers at high end restaurants, for example, typically gross six figures. So do some truck drivers.

>> 4. In any case, the typical working career of 40-50 years is a LONG time to do something that you don't enjoy -- which is why many people grow frustrated and dejected in life. Above all else, pursue your passions!

Norm.
Old August 31st, 2011, 07:18 PM
Admiral

Todd,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
In short, one doesn't have to go to college with merely financial goals in mind. I never went to college and have always regretted it.
You do realize that it's not too late, don't you?

Typically in late May or early June, one finds very heartwarming stories on the local news about some person who, at the age of eighty-something or ninty-something, just completed a college degree, fulfiling a long-held personal goal. If you have long regretted not going to college, I strongly urge you to look into filling that void in your life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Is this a result of my mother and my maternal grand mother? In great part yes, but it is also a result of a major influence in my life, a true member of the family who was 3/4 Black and 1/4 Cherokee who influenced me in my youngest years far more than most could fathom. If you want to know why or how, simply either read the book or see the movie, "The Help." Thankfully, we did not live in Mississippi at the time Dora, from the time she raised my Father and Aunt, was always a member of the family in virtually every aspect. When mother had we twins (she had to be about eighty then), she actually moved into the house. Truth be told I adored Dora, All my paternal grandmother with which she was concerned back in the thirties, was about her parties and flitting around the world than with raising her children. She was only worse when we came along. While in no way a racist, she nevertheless was in so many ways as the rich folk depicted in, "The Help." I sadly now admit I not only never loved the woman, I actually could not stand her. Actually, few could.
Over a decade ago, I got to chatting with a member of the cruise staff who had spent some time aboard (the original) MV Royal Princess during a cruise aboard one of the new Princess Cruises ships. The staff member talked with great enthusiasm about a couple who spent over two hundred days per year cruising in the Princess Suite -- one of the two cabins in the very top category -- aboard MV Royal Princess. What really surprised me, though, was that the staffer spoke in the most glowing terms about what a pleasure it was to have that particular couple aboard and how courteous and considerate they always were to all of the staff. Some time later, I met John and Lorraine personally during a cruise aboard MV Royal Princess, and they were indeed quite gracious. I did notice that senior officers from the ship frequently joined them at the show and in the ship's lounges, too.

One need not be obnoxious to live and party in style. There is no excuse for rudeness to those who are less fortunate, no matter how affluent one may be.

Norm.
Old September 2nd, 2011, 09:48 AM
Admiral

To all those companies who can't find emplyees, I say ( don't count on me ).
I worked for over forty years in manufacturing but now I am done.

I did pretty well I retired with a company pension and a decent 401K.

Now I am a man of leisure.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013