CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Do you text ? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/384783-do-you-text.html)

Phil&Liz September 5th, 2011 11:24 AM

Do you text ?

With the recent weather delays and iten changes, CCL released numbers for folks to sign up for text updates regarding their specific sailings affected by the changes.
(For Carnival Elation: We encourage guests to sign up for text updates by texting CCL2 to 36500, For Carnival Triumph text CCL3 to 36500 )

Has anyone heard of other lines doing this?

Would you like to have this service year round for other than weather related delays that may affect your sailing?

Snoozeman September 5th, 2011 11:37 AM

It's brilliant!

Trip September 5th, 2011 11:48 AM

It's the ay of the world now, and all the lines should get on the text train...may be a while for me...I don't do it, or receive texts:( I know, I know, no yelling!

Paul B September 5th, 2011 12:28 PM

I do not have a cell phone and I do not text! My wife has a vanilla cell phone used for emergencies.

Mike M September 5th, 2011 12:39 PM

I'm completely in favor of it and would opt for it.

However, there are still people who don't use email, let alone texting and don't feel they're "notified" unless they receive a letter or a phone call.

Calling 2,000 people would be a logistical nightmare, unless they did a mass robo call from an outgoing call center.

Text and email updates are a great idea.

Take care,
Mike

Luanne Russo September 5th, 2011 01:20 PM

Yes, I do text, and I will tell you where it has most come in handy. My airline has a texting system. If the plane is on time, or delayed, they either call or text. It is very helpful, and has saved us money, by not having to go to the airport, or to have to call them.

LGriggs548 September 5th, 2011 01:52 PM

Yep, texting works for me too. The only problem with the airline texting is we live so far from the airport that when we get the text message, we have already left home and it's too late to turn around for a delayed flight. But I still like the idea of both cruiseline and airline notifications.

Snoozeman September 5th, 2011 02:28 PM

And use of text on board the ship is very fair. I received a text from my iPhone carrier Verizon with the ship board rates (somewhat amazing that they knew I was on a ship?) and it was 5 to receive a text and 50 to send.

Lakers Fan September 5th, 2011 04:07 PM

I do not text.

rayb September 5th, 2011 04:51 PM

Texing

I am learning with my new Iphone. Gosh its tough for me to learn. Need a 9 year older to help me. LOL. True.

Manuel September 5th, 2011 05:06 PM

I don't text.

TM

johnthed0g September 5th, 2011 05:06 PM

More than I used to, it is handy to send a message to someone & you know(set up delivery report) they got it & you have a copy. Sometimes it gets something over quickly & to the point whilst not actually requiring the person to answer a call. I though, must be the only person who uses punctuation & proper words, capital "I"'s etc. I loathe text-speak in normal writing.

anniegb September 5th, 2011 05:14 PM

I receive and read texts. I send very few.

However I only use my mobile phone when travelling.

Good idea though.

Annie

Kamloops Cruiser September 5th, 2011 06:08 PM

Only with my wife and DIL.

Mike M September 5th, 2011 06:17 PM

I think the wording of the title of this thread may be a bit off. It is more like: "Would you want a text notification of delays or issues with your cruise."

I don't do conversational text. I actually get irritated when someone wants to carry on a text conversation with me. Just call me and get it over with in 30 seconds instead of wasting ten minutes of my time texting you back and forth.

As I said earlier: I do like text notifications of changes to my flights and cruises.

Take care,
Mike

johnthed0g September 5th, 2011 06:19 PM

I agree that protracted text conversations are tedious & a lot more can be dealt with via a voice call.

Phil&Liz September 5th, 2011 07:54 PM

Mike, go ahead and rename it if ya want. No biggie.

fun2cruiz September 5th, 2011 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil&Liz (Post 1391012)
Mike, go ahead and rename it if ya want. No biggie.

I think the title is just fine..... some have chimed in regarding your question within the thread, and others have responded based on the title.... it's a win-win in my eyes !:D

I text very limited, but detest doing so. As for the cruiselines/airlines sending text messages...thats fine, if they get the messages out there well in advance when possible, but I also do not want them to have that phone # to text to for solicitation purposes which could actually occur in their future marketing tactics ! :rolleyes:

blueliner September 5th, 2011 09:13 PM

I do text and I think it's a brilliant idea from Carnival to set this up. As long as they keep the text to important cruise related issues like weather delays and stuff. If they decide to use texts to remind you to buy some precruise packages or stuff, that would be annoying.

Phil&Liz September 5th, 2011 09:23 PM

Btw, John Heald has said that the numbers are created solely for the current issue of delays to those ships/ports affected by Lee's aftermath.

I would hope that they don't become misused for marketing. That would be a big step backwards for them.

Fern September 5th, 2011 09:23 PM

No, I don't text. It's all I can do to answer the phone that's in my purse instead of connected to the wall rofl!

I depend on the cruise line to notify me on their web site, or through email, if there's anything important I need to know.

I'm so far "out of the loop" that I may never be seen again :D!