Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 15th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Is there a MawMaw too? :)

Since we have such a diverse group from all over, I ask you all, have you ever heard of the pawpaw fruit? I never have till today.

We have this award winning show here, called Chronicle,and today they had a mystery location show,and one clue, was this woman who grows paw paw trees, and sells this delicacy to the farmers market. I had to ask uncle google, what the heck this was? Have any of you heard about, what sounds like a delicious treat...is it something I need to try?

Pawpaw Trees - Willis Orchard Company

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Admiral

Interesting question....when I was singing in a children's entertainment group, one of our songs went something like this:

"Picking up the paw paws, put 'em in your pocket,
Picking up the paw paws, put 'em in your pocket,
Picking up the paw paws, put 'em in your pocket,
Way down yonder in the paw paw patch."

At the time, I had no idea what paw paws were, and to be truthful, I still don't. I presume it's a "southern thing", and being from the "Great White North" I can be excused for my ignorance!

donna
Old November 15th, 2011, 04:31 PM
First Mate

Yep, we get pawpaw fruit jelly right here in Texas! Usually sold at local fairs.
Old November 15th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Admiral

Pappaya isn't it? if you ever have a fruit salad in the Caribbean & something looks like Mango but doesn't quite taste like it, that is it.
Old November 15th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Admiral

Hmmmm, good thing I've never had any, probably allergic to it (I'm allergic to Mangoes!)

donna
Old November 15th, 2011, 06:40 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
Pappaya isn't it? if you ever have a fruit salad in the Caribbean & something looks like Mango but doesn't quite taste like it, that is it.
NPR did a story on them a month or so ago. The above quote was very close to their description.
Old November 15th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

This is the video of the pawpaw fruit. As you can see, she is eating it raw,and it looks nice and creamy, & she describes it as a combo of tastes...I want one

Main Streets and Back Roads: Hardwick, Ma: Segment Two - Video - WCVB Boston

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 15th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Never had one but always wanted to try it. Not being one to try too many new things I finally became a devotee of the Kiwi.

Having married into an Italian family I was always loather to try either squid or octopus. One Christmas even I started munching on what I thought were onion rings. They were in fact, "Ovup" which are Octopus. Now I live for Octopus and Calamari!

Moral to the story is, don't knock it until you've tried it. Sorry though because I still can't get down the snails!
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old November 15th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Admiral

Yes ,I did hear of this fruit .
Old November 15th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Admiral

To John, no Pawpaws and Papayas are not the same. Papayas are a tropical fruit and would not survive in the areas of Kentucky, Tenn, etc.

Yes, there is indeed a wild fruit called Pawpaw.They grow wild in parts of KY., Tn. and I'm sure other southeastern states as well. They look like a mango in their shape but are much smaller. They get ripe in the fall, and are at their best after it frosts on them a couple of times. They start to fall off then and are better when they fall by themselves rather than have them shaken off the trees. Wild animals such as Foxes, Raccoons, Opossums etc love them as does a lot of folks who know what they are.
My sister has a house on Lake Cumberland and near her house are several Pawpaw trees that are normally pretty full each year.
I'm surprised Todd , being from the area of Tn. that he's from has never eaten them. It's like anything else, some people like them, some don't.
Persimmons are another wild fruit that is very good in the fall after they get ripe-- but-- don't make the mistake of trying to eat one before it's ripe unless you want your mouth to pucker up --and I do mean pucker !! lol
Old November 16th, 2011, 04:57 AM
Admiral

Default Found this...

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Paw Paw may refer to:

Contents [hide]
1 Plants and fruits
2 Places
3 Streams
4 See also
[edit]Plants and fruits

Asimina, the pawpaw genus, various species of trees and shrubs native to eastern North America, including A. triloba
Asimina triloba, a temperate tree with edible fruit, native to eastern North America
Asimina tetramera, commonly known as the four-petal pawpaw, which is endemic to Florida
Carica papaya, the papaya or papaw (pawpaw), a tropical fruit tree native to the New World
Mountain papaya (Vasconcellea pubescens), the mountain papaya or mountain paw paw, a fruit tree native to South America
Old November 16th, 2011, 05:30 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Since we have such a diverse group from all over, I ask you all, have you ever heard of the pawpaw fruit? I never have till today.

We have this award winning show here, called Chronicle,and today they had a mystery location show,and one clue, was this woman who grows paw paw trees, and sells this delicacy to the farmers market. I had to ask uncle google, what the heck this was? Have any of you heard about, what sounds like a delicious treat...is it something I need to try?

Pawpaw Trees - Willis Orchard Company
They are a tropical or sub tropical fruit grown on medium sized tree plants and you can grow them in your own back yard.

We used to eat them all the time in Fiji with sprinkling of suger and a drizzle of lemon or lime juice minus the seeds of course. YUUUM

To turn a male pawpaw plant into a female one for fruiting purposes you have to bang a couple of iron nails into the trunk.

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!