Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 17th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Admiral

Default Black Friday shopping, What the heck!!!

Okay I love Black Friday shopping I go every year and my hubby thinks I'm nuts. But this year I'm pissed off. All the stores are opening at midnight!!! I will not going shopping at Midnight; I hate it that the retailers got so greedy they changed the times to try and ruin everyone's thanksgiving. I'm not the only check this out.
Black Friday backlash: Early openings a mixed blessing - Yahoo! Finance

Oh well I guess I'm doing Cyber Monday this year.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Admiral

First of all, we don't have such a thing as Black Friday in Canada. Probably Boxing Day sales come closest, but I discovered there's not even Boxing Day her in Nova Scotia!
Either way, you couldn't PAY me to shop on either one of those days. I'm not that desperate for a bargain, and I HATE crowds!

donna
Old November 17th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna View Post
First of all, we don't have such a thing as Black Friday in Canada. Probably Boxing Day sales come closest, but I discovered there's not even Boxing Day her in Nova Scotia!
Either way, you couldn't PAY me to shop on either one of those days. I'm not that desperate for a bargain, and I HATE crowds!

donna
My hubby is exactly like you. He hates crowds and doesn't understand why I enjoy Black Friday shopping. It's because I hate normal shopping. Wandering aimlessly around the store looking for the perfect this or that. Black Friday shopping isn't normal shopping; it's a hunt. I get to do my research ahead of time. Determine each gift and which stores I'm going to. I also like standing in line the 1 or 2 before the stores open chatting with the other people in line. Once the first store is opens the game is afoot. I once got through Khols in 10 minutes and had 5 people christmas shopped for. I was the first person in the check out line. I finish all my Christmas shopping by 7:30AM that day.

This year because everyone is opening at midnight or earlier I can't do it. See my planning time is during thanksgiving dinner. My family goes through the ads circles what they like. After Thanksgiving dinner I do my list. With stores opening at Midnight; I would have to get there by 10PM. I don't have the time. So annoying they did this this year. What's wrong with opening at 4, 5, or 6AM like is normally.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 17th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Stores in our area have been using the Midnight start time for a couple years now.... sorry you wont be able to get your Black Friday fix this year or enjoy the crowds in an effort to save $$$.

The change in your shopping plan will give you more time to digest that wonderful dinner perhaps !

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old November 17th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Captain

Somebody recently started calling the phenominon "Black Friday Creep". Every year the stores open an hour earlier.
Old November 17th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I have never had any desire to hit the stores at 4:00 a.m., or any time, on Black Friday. However I'd rather go shopping at midnight and then come home and go to bed rather than waking up at 3:00 a.m. just to get the deal on the 62" TV.

If someone wants to go shopping I have no problem with that. No one is putting a gun to someone's head and forcing them to go. So if you want to keep your Thanksgiving traditional then do it. If you want to go shopping then do that. It's up to you and not me.

The only ones I care about are the employees that are required to work on Thanksgiving Day. I hope they are well compensated for it.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 17th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Admiral

The town I live in does not have a movie theater or a bowling alley .There is only 1 book store but what it does have is a tremendous amount of shopping .I can walk out of my house and not cross a street to arrive at a huge shopping complex with 36 stores .If I desire to cross the street there is a shopping area with 20 more stores .Nearly all of these stores will start their Black Friday at midnight .
Old November 17th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Admiral

As time goes by things change and not allways for the better.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Booked Vision of the Seas . 2/14/2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Old November 17th, 2011, 11:34 PM
Admiral

I think that "Black Friday" has gone a bit "overboard". People should be able to enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday among family and friends and not be forced to "go to work". There are times when "the bottom line" should not be more important when it comes to celebrating Thanksgiving!
Old November 18th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by balabusta View Post
I think that "Black Friday" has gone a bit "overboard". People should be able to enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday among family and friends and not be forced to "go to work". There are times when "the bottom line" should not be more important when it comes to celebrating Thanksgiving!
DITTO!
Old November 18th, 2011, 09:20 AM
First Mate

I don't think the chaos at the stores is worth the money saved. Not for the types of things I shop for anyway...

I wish the stores would just put a lot of things at a good price for the entire weekend, rather than a few things at a great price early in the morning. Last year in my town people were trampled when the doors opened. What a bunch of animals!! ;-)

Golden Princess 9/8/2012
Carnival Elation 11/02/2009
Carnival Pride 04/24/2006
Carnival Pride 05/23/2004
Carnival Elation (I think) 1999
Old November 18th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Admiral

Kat, I'm sorry they've messed up your yearly buying. I went to a Black Friday event with my SIL one time several years ago and decided I would never do it again. The only way I would change my mind is if someone paid me a great deal of money. I feel sorry for the workers.
Old November 18th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Well...yes!!! but online shopping sometimes is better. Well thats what Im going to do this black friday!!
Old November 18th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I am also going to on line shop. I have everything I need in the shopping carts of the web site, and will wait to see what they have to offer on Black Friday. If nothing good, they I will wait until it gets closer to Christmas.

I hate to shop, so I won't be going out to shop.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old November 18th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have never had any desire to get up and out, depsite my Mass license plate which is shop*r...not on that day ever! I do have family that runs though.

If someone wants to go I say more power, and, I hope you get what you want...The thing that is frightening is the lack of crowd control,and how many get injured, or trampled..The morning news, show all the injuries & fights...I'll just, zzzzzzz

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 20th, 2011, 03:25 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by balabusta View Post
I totally agree, opening at 5 or 6AM on Friday means the employees still get Thanksgiving off with their families. If I as a consumer shop at Midnight then the retailers will get worse and worse they need to know this isn't alright. So Cyber Monday instead of Black Friday or I will just hit Amazon.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 20th, 2011, 04:30 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
I totally agree, opening at 5 or 6AM on Friday means the employees still get Thanksgiving off with their families. If I as a consumer shop at Midnight then the retailers will get worse and worse they need to know this isn't alright. So Cyber Monday instead of Black Friday or I will just hit Amazon.
I agree! Cyber Monday is great, and Amazon is where I do 80-90% of my shopping. Just a tip: if you haven't already done a free trial of Amazon Prime now is the time! Sign up, do all your Christmas shopping with free 2 day shipping, then cancel within 30 days at no charge! (or keep it if you utilize it regularly) I LOVE Amazon!

Golden Princess 9/8/2012
Old November 20th, 2011, 05:09 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
I agree! Cyber Monday is great, and Amazon is where I do 80-90% of my shopping. Just a tip: if you haven't already done a free trial of Amazon Prime now is the time! Sign up, do all your Christmas shopping with free 2 day shipping, then cancel within 30 days at no charge! (or keep it if you utilize it regularly) I LOVE Amazon!

Golden Princess 9/8/2012
Old November 21st, 2011, 12:57 AM
First Mate

I don't like to shop Black Friday anymore. You get there and fight throngs of shoppers..Only to find that the items you wanted are sold out...Typical. This year, I was grateful for those "early BF sales" as my washing machine AND dishwasher decided to go south on me right before my out of town company showed up for a two week visit. TG for Home Depot's early sale!! I measured at home, looked online at their sale. then checked the merchandise out in the store and just paid for it there and scheduled and asap free delivery!
Old November 21st, 2011, 11:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Here in Florida they actually camp out in front of the store for days and even weeks ahead of time. There is always someone trampled, injured and even killed in this madness. The cold, heartless, cruel, selfish, greedy, shoppers just keep on trampling over the injured without even a thought to stop and help. Is this Christmas Spirit? Really? It is just way to commercial for me. I do not shop at all.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old November 21st, 2011, 09:42 PM
Admiral

As a "non-shopper" I'd rather be hung up by my thumbs , than shop on Black Friday.

I'm more than happy to pay a little bit more instead of getting all the "bargains".

I find it interesting that people "camp" in front of some stores. I really don't believe that it would be worth the aggrevation!

JMHO,

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old November 22nd, 2011, 02:13 AM
Admiral

When I was a kid growing up here in upper East Tennessee, not only wasn't there a Black Friday but all of the businesses closed at 5:00 pm except for a couple of Fridays prior to Christmas when they'd stay open until seven or eight. Also, on Sundays you were lucky if you found a gasoline station open.

Also, until JC Penney came to town, every business closed at Noon on Wednesday.

The only thing I remember being consistently open at night or on a Sunday or Holiday was the movie. As kids we used to all go to the movies on Thanksgiving night so the adults could enjoy their own time.

So much for, "The Good Old Days!"
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:59 PM
Admiral

This is just my opinion, which is worthless to anyone but me but over the last few years it seems that " shopping " has been taken to a new level and not necessarily to a higher level.
I've noticed stores opening earlier and earlier, staying open later and later and soon, it won''t be long until they're open on Thanksgiving and Christmas days as well. But, you can't lay all the blame on the stores--if they opened at midnight and no one showed up, they wouldn't be so keen to keep doing it . But, if they open at midnight and there's a crowd of people who are so anxious to spend money that they have been camping out and come rushing in, trampling, shoving, etc with their plastic money in their hands, then the stores can't bear all the blame.
Here in my hometown last year at a well known electronics store, they advertised so many items of this and that, etc. at supposedly low prices-- Some people camped out for as long as 2 days to " save " money--ordering and having food, drinks, etc delivered to their spot in the line.It finally came down to the police having to maintain a presence to keep down the numerous fistfights that broke out during those days. Fortunately no one used a gun or knife, just their fists. If you consider that most had to buy tents, sleeping bags, order pizza, etc, in all honesty, how much did they save and was a few dollars worth it?
A couple of years ago we had a shooting where one killed another over a parking place--that's the real holiday spirit!!
My wife has worked retail for 35 years and we have never had a normal holiday season--not complaining--just stating a fact. So, please do remember the employees that are working their long hours--they have families, their feet and legs hurt, they too would like to be home resting or even out shopping themselves.
As far as I'm concerned, it's been years since I have been out to the Mall in November or December and I stay away from these big box stores--I'll go to Kroger to get food but that's it. I use gift cards for my presents and have made it clear to all involved that if at anytime anyone is dissatisfied with the gift card, to please feel free to return it immediately. So far, I've had no takers on my return policy.
Here's hoping that all who venture out to brave the crowds return safely carrying whatever it was that you braved the crowds for and that you got it at a huge discount.
Please try to remember too, that we have service people in harms way in different areas of the world, risking life and limb, engaged in life and death struggles while we ,as a people, are out doing our shopping and saving!
Hope all of you have a wonderful Holiday.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 11:15 PM
Admiral

VERY WELL SAID, Ron!

Everyone makes fun of the adults of the fifties but I think it's about time we started acting like them!

What happens on Black Friday makes Filene's Basement look like a kindergarten class.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 11:11 PM
Admiral

My hubby and I went to dinner at Chevy's Mexican restaurant and we were shocked to find out they will be opened on Thanksgiving that is terrible. Who is getting Mexican food on Thanksgiving? Either cook, head to honey baked and buy will just eat a regular meal. It's beyond crazy to expect restaurants to be opened on Thanksgiving to serve your lazy butt.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 24th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Admiral

Sadly, in my opinion, I agree.

But then I remember serniors who have no family (or those who aren't accepted by their families (which drives me insane) but that's another story) who get their Thanksgiving dinner at either restaurants or better yet, free Thanksgiving Dinners put forth by Churches and oranizations in this communityl Literally hundreds are served by such self serving and committed individuals to those who would ordinarily not be exposed to either the food or the fellowship of Thanksgiving.

I am proud to say that no one need do without both a wonderful meal and felllowship on this Holiday, at least in this part of the country. As a matter of fact, my neighbors across the street who are involved in every charity imaginable, will be serving such people tomorrowo. And to me, that is what Thanksgiving is all about.

I am blesseed beyond belief, as are most of us but we all must remember that there are many Who arent't. I last year attended a high dollar Thanksgiving Dinner at a top hotel in Knoxville. While i loved the food, it wasn't Thanksgiving....at least to me. So many people forget the last half of the word "giving." And that is, to me, what it's all about. I personally make sure that no one of my knowledge, goes without on Thanksgiving. Such in no way makes me a better person, it merely gives me personal satisfaction.