Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 22nd, 2011, 01:53 PM
Admiral

Default 48 years ago ,today

On November 22 ,1963 ,President John F.Kennedy was assassinated by person or persons unknown .

While there were presidential assassinations in the past ,perhaps because of the media available this was possibly the greatest shock to americans since December 7 ,1941 .
Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2011, 02:31 PM
Admiral

Henry

You must be psychic, I was just thinking the same - it was a shock to the world - I will never forget the look on my mother's face.

Annie
Old November 22nd, 2011, 03:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I was 15, my school let us out early... we were all in shock.. my girlfriend, came home with me, to find my Mother & Grandmother watching tv, & crying. Somewhere I have the book, Four Days, that I think the Boston Globe, or the Herald, put out.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 22nd, 2011, 04:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Wow, its been 48 years....I do remember the day clearly, getting out of school early and going home and watching TV...Now, that was truly a sad day.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 22nd, 2011, 04:17 PM
Admiral

I was a baby so have no memory of the event. It was a sad day in American history.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 04:20 PM
Admiral

There is still no real solution to who did it....is there?
I find it fascinating.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 04:49 PM
Admiral

It wasn't "person unknown", it was Lee Harvey Oswald.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old November 22nd, 2011, 04:56 PM
Admiral

Wasn't it said he couldn't have fired that old rifle that fast never mind hit anyone?
Old November 22nd, 2011, 05:39 PM
Admiral

Good point John but The National Geographic just solved that mystery via technology. He actually had more than twice the time between shots than they ever believed. That was, of course, the major question as to how Oswald could have shot him twice.
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean

Last edited by ToddDH; November 22nd, 2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 05:56 PM
Admiral

A lot of people get mixed up between reality & the film JFK!
I have watched quite a few TV programmes on the subject & they twist & turn, about all they agree on was Oswald worked in the book depository (whatever that is) & he did shoot that cop. Niceties aside, the accuracy of the shooting was incredible to the extent it was unbelievable. As a Brit it isn't my business but the subject does interest me.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 06:55 PM
Admiral

Default ?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueliner View Post
It wasn't "person unknown", it was Lee Harvey Oswald.

You .madam or sir are not living in reality
Old November 22nd, 2011, 06:58 PM
Admiral

Default Psychic

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
Henry

You must be psychic, I was just thinking the same - it was a shock to the world - I will never forget the look on my mother's face.

Annie

Noted psychic Janet Brennan has stated on numerous occasions that she has never come across anyone in her life with more natural psychic ability than me .
Old November 22nd, 2011, 07:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
You .madam or sir are not living in reality

Well.... someone isn't
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old November 22nd, 2011, 07:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Noted psychic Janet Brennan has stated on numerous occasions that she has never come across anyone in her life with more natural psychic ability than me .

I'm either psychic, psychotic, or re-psychlable.:-D
Old November 22nd, 2011, 07:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

John, history is your business, it's everone's business.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:27 PM
Admiral

Default Perception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
Well.... someone isn't

When I was in college I wrote a 40 page paper stating that Booth did not kill Lincoln .I researched every source available .This was before Al Gore invented the internet .I am now reading a book titled The Lincoln Assasination Encyclopedia .All of my theories are being disproved .
Its all a matter of perception .

IMHO we will never know who assassinated any of the Kennedy brothers ,Martin Luther King ,Jr. ,Abby Hoffman and Jerry Rubin .
Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:31 PM
Admiral

Default Kuki aka Mr.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
I'm either psychic, psychotic, or re-psychlable.:-D
You sir are very estute and esoteric
Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
When I was in college I wrote a 40 page paper stating that Booth did not kill Lincoln .I researched every source available .This was before Al Gore invented the internet .I am now reading a book titled The Lincoln Assasination Encyclopedia .All of my theories are being disproved .
Its all a matter of perception .

IMHO we will never know who assassinated any of the Kennedy brothers ,Martin Luther King ,Jr. ,Abby Hoffman and Jerry Rubin .
When I was in college, I wrote a paper debunking the movie "JFK" and I did research as well. I am living in reality, and Oswald did it!

Sounds like you have a lot of conspiracy theories.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:35 PM
Admiral

Kennedy assisnations aside, I don't care how many books one reads or research one does, it is irrefutable evidence that Booth killed Lincoln. Think about it. Probably literally 150 individuals witnessed the event. Are they all wrong? To believe otherwise is absurd. the greatest injustice was the execution of Mary Surratt for complicity.

Science, today's science, has proven that Oswald fired the shots that killed Kennedy. There will always be theorists that don't believe that but that's what happened, period. Who enticed, hired, or otherwise influenced Oswald we'll never know until 100 year after the asassination but it will be revealed. Why was Oswald himself killed? It could be (perish the thought) that Jack Ruby was upset with Kennedy's assassination. I know that's too simple to believe but hey, that could well be what happened!

Conspiracists always take a route that has the overwhelming majority of times been proven incorrect. Don't take my word for it. Just check history. And remember, I am an historian not to mention not only a law enforcement professional but an instructor of law enforcement professionals. I'll go to war with anyone on that subject.

People have a nasty habit of reading into things that are unfathomable as the deeds themselves are unfathomable. Such is rarely the case. They usually are reasonably explained.

Are there intrigues that occur throughout history. Of course there are.

But in my book none of the above are included.
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean

Last edited by ToddDH; November 22nd, 2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:49 PM
Captain

48 years ago I was negative 11 !

Krunch
Western Caribbean - Freedom - January, 2011
Southern Caribbean - Miracle - November, 2010
Western Caribbean - Liberty - November, 2008
Eastern Caribbean - Valor - October, 2006
Old November 22nd, 2011, 11:38 PM
Admiral

I was a college freshman in Illinois, just north of Chicago. I heard about it during lunch. I stumbled off to my 2:00 class dazed, walked in on the prof writing on the board that class was cancelled. He turned and I saw that he was crying.

I went over to the radio station where I worked, walked into the record library in time to see the program director (who's still a friend) breaking the LP of Vaughn Meader's "The First Family" over his knee. He wanted to make sure nobody ever played it again on the air. I drew the short straw and got the assignment of babysitting the station late into the night until signoff. We broke format and all I did was play classical music, do station ID's and take transmitter readings. I never felt so alone. I called my parents and they said they felt the same way. After signoff I went back to that freshman dorm where pretty much everybody was still up, watching TV in the lounge. Almost nobody spoke. Many spent the night there.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 08:00 AM
Admiral

I was asleep in my quarters at Quantico, Marine Corps Base. (I'd been up all night, getting rid of a 105 mm that someone had found along the road!) Someone woke me up, and gave me the sad, sad news. I don't think anyone really believed it at first, but the reality soon set in. Certainly a sad day in American History, and YES, I am with Todd on this one. Everything points to Oswald as the shooter!

"SKY"
Old November 23rd, 2011, 11:20 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
John, history is your business, it's everone's business.
Well I think so, but I don't want to appear to intrude into what was a national tragedy as well as a worldwide one. But the subject has always fascinated me...that the leader of the most powerful nation on earth could be killed by a lone gunman using an old rifle & hit people in a moving vehicle some distance away.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 12:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I was in the third grade. We were on the playground when word came. We were also sent home early.

John, The rifle he used was not old, but cheap. Purchased through the mail from a catolog.

Jim and I have stood at the window that Oswald used on that terrible day. Jim says that the shots could have been made, without question. I have read a the reports of conspiricy, but believe that Oswald did it.

Only two more years until the reports, and papers are released, that Mrs. Kennedy asked to be withheld.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old November 23rd, 2011, 09:56 PM
Admiral

John, I don't think that the age of the weapon itself would be something to be concerned about. Naturally, if the shooter were using an old muzzle loading rifle, then yes, that would be a factor.
The weapon was an Italian made Carcano 6.5 mm ( about a 26 caliber ) carbine that was made for years for the Italian military and if my memory of the events are correct the actual rifle used was made in 1940 and so was approx 23 years old when Kennedy was killed. It was a bolt action rifle with a scope-- Oswald was an ex-marine who was taught to shoot by the military and as such,was not some guy off the street who was unfamiliar with weapons. Re/ age of weapons, I have guns in my home that are older than that--have a couple that are older than me and one that I've had since I was 12 years old--they all shoot as well today as when they were bought because I've kept them well oiled and maintained. I have a German Mauser 7.65 mm pistol that was brought back from Europe that was made in 1941. It's in excellent condition and has the holster that went with it. It works as well as a 2 year old Beretta I have.Taking care of the weapon is the key--not the age itself-- unless it's been abused,and if that be the case, then even a new rifle may not be accurate.To fire several rounds from a bolt action rifle with accuracy at a slow moving target and hit the target isn't as hard as you might think if you're well practiced with weapons.
I'm not onto conspiracy theories, etc and all that--there's still people out there that believe we never went to the moon--many theorists , if you just take note, usually have a book on the market which usually sells, as people love to read about conspiracies and cover ups, etc.
I'm certainly not an expert on the Kennedy assassination and never will be but I'm satisfied with the findings and not willing to run out to buy every new book that John Q Theorist comes out with.
Again, the age of the weapon would not be a factor as long as the weapon was well maintained, which apparently it was. Even in Vietnam, there were German machine guns and other weapons from WW 2 that were used against us by the V.C. A round from one of those through the chest would still kill you just as dead as a round from a 2 year old AK 47 would.
I'll leave the theories and all that to the experts-- The weapon used did what any weapon is designed to do--they kill and will do so regardless of age in the hands of a trained marksman provided they are well maintained.
Now I've had my time on the stump and will bow out to allow others to get on with the theory stuff.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 10:19 PM
Admiral

My theory is that Kennedy died at Parkland Hospital, or possibly before he even got there. My theory is that LBJ was sworn in as president on Air Force One just before it left Texas to return to Washington. My theory is that while LBJ did a remarkable job on the civil rights front, he failed the nation miserably in other ways, most notoriously with regard to Vietnam.

My theory is that we didn't just lose a president. We lost a hero, a visionary, a peacemaker, a man of crazy passions--many of which were shameful--but nevertheless a renaissance man before they invented the term. Most importantly, we lost one of the most intelligent presidents of my lifetime. Intelligence isn't on most people's list of requirements for the office these days, but it is certainly on mine.

Not all intelligent presidents achieve greatness. But no stupid ones do.

That's my theory.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 10:22 PM
Admiral

Default Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueliner View Post
When I was in college, I wrote a paper debunking the movie "JFK" and I did research as well. I am living in reality, and Oswald did it!

Sounds like you have a lot of conspiracy theories.

78% of americans (gallup poll) believe that Lee Harvey Oswald was not responsible for the death of JFK .

The odds of Jerry Rubin dying as a result of a hit and run and Abbott Hoffman committing suicide are ludicrous IMHO .
Old November 27th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Admiral

Quote:
78% of americans (gallup poll) believe that Lee Harvey Oswald was not responsible for the death of JFK .
That is so funny! Henry, 65% of Americans weren't even born when Kennedy was killed. Of course they're still allowed to have opinions, but we all know how smart Americans are! And how well read. And how analytical.

If there was ever an example of things not worth doing a poll about, this is it!

I'll bet if you polled Americans more than half of them would say that Bermuda is in the Caribbean. Does that make it true?

By the way, that's a good way to make ten bucks. Ask somebody where Bermuda is. When they say the Caribbean bet them that they're wrong. They'll almost always take the bet. Easy money.
Old November 27th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Admiral

I really meant "old technology" in regard to the rifle, not a modern sniper rifle even of the time. While I don't want to argue I feel there are one or two things to take into account when the shooting occurred...it has bugged me all my adult life you see, it would have taken nerves of steel to actually commit the act & get off, was it 3? shots with such accuracy & was it 2 of them basically head shots into a moving vehicle. I hope I live to see these files that are yet to be released.
Old November 27th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:

And 94% of those polled didn't know who Lee Harvey Oswald was.