Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 3rd, 2012, 03:47 PM
Admiral

Default Back from Jewel of the Seas

We came back yesterday from our New Years eve cruise on the Jewel of the Seas.I will write a short review this week. We have not cruised in a few years and I must say the food has become terrible. I gained weight so there was plenty to eat but as a fellow cruiser on the ship told me it tasted like "cafeteria style food". Even dinner in the dining room was well terrible.

Otherwise it was nice, service a 5 out of a 10.

Everyone enjoy the rest of the day!
Old January 3rd, 2012, 03:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Ok, rest up..we want to hear more.....My girlfriend took the repo on the Jewel[14 days] in Oct, from Boston...I will have to ask her about the food, etc...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 3rd, 2012, 06:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sue, we did the Jewel of the Seas in November and the food was terrible.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 07:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

It is unfortunate that food does differ from ship to ship in the same line. While cruisers state the food was terrible on Jewel of the Seas, when I was on her, the food was great. Also the food on Allure was wonderful, no complaints. You would think they could fix the food situation, so all their ships have good food?

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 4th, 2012, 12:35 AM
Captain

I just spent an hour reading cruise reviews. I noticed that everyone seems to have an opinion on the bacon in the buffet. Overcooked, undercooked, too crisp, too rubbery etc. I've never had a bacon issue. Its always been fine. I guess my palate is not discerning enough...

(and I even looked up how to spell discerning)
Old January 4th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Admiral

Yes the bacon was rubbery however I like my bacon very crispy so I know its a "me" issue. We wanted to eat at a specialty restaurant however we could not get a reservation , the ship was completely full. My husband is not a picky eater but even he complained about the quality of the food a bit. Desserts were terrible with a few exceptions. More later
Old January 4th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Admiral

Sue- your assessment of the food on NCL seems to match many other reviews or posts I have read. While I do not base my cruise decisions on reviews alone and tend to disreagard "cheerleader" and totally negative reviews, the vast majority of the reviews on NCL cite food as a big negative and have influenced me not to consider cruising on that line. Looking forward to your review.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old January 4th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR. View Post
Sue- your assessment of the food on NCL seems to match many other reviews or posts I have read. While I do not base my cruise decisions on reviews alone and tend to disreagard "cheerleader" and totally negative reviews, the vast majority of the reviews on NCL cite food as a big negative and have influenced me not to consider cruising on that line. Looking forward to your review.
Jewel of the Seas - Royal Caribbean - no?

I sailed Royal Caribbean last year and it was easily the worst food I have eaten at sea esp the desserts. I didn't starve - easily my biggest and best meal of the day was breakfast served in my cabin. BTW I don't eat bacon - too fatty for me.

Half the ship came down with allegedly norovirus - I suspected food poisoning - reheated seafood pasta for 3 days in a row in the WJ - yuk!

Annie
Old January 4th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post

I sailed Royal Caribbean last year and it was easily the worst food I have eaten at sea esp the desserts. I didn't starve - easily my biggest and best meal of the day was breakfast served in my cabin. BTW I don't eat bacon - too fatty for me.

Half the ship came down with allegedly norovirus - I suspected food poisoning - reheated seafood pasta for 3 days in a row in the WJ - yuk!

Annie
Yes a Royal Caribbean ship Yes the food was nothing from what I had remembered from any of our past cruises <7 total> the best food we ever had was on Disney and Princess. Even the dining room had terrible food. Steaks tough, baked potato under cooked, cold veggies. I turned back my steaks, potato, duck was simply not tasty <i love duck> and I wasn't the only one at our table of 10 that returned food.
Old January 4th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:

Annie
I have changed my eating habits so I am not used to eating deserts much. However I had some on this cruise and boy it was bad <which was probably a good thing> Cardboard taste and plain ..yuck.Even my husband did not like it. They did have 1 ch cake one day we found at the Windjammer which was pretty good to our surprise. The coffee is another problem<not the taste>. during breakfast at the windjammer you have to go to the beverage station and they will pour you 1 cup. I am serious! Every time you want another cup you have to get up and get back to the beverage station. Not one single "waiter" came and asked if we wanted a refill. i was wondering why they dont give you a larger container for several cups of coffee? I ended up getting 2 cups at a time to bring back to my table.
Old January 4th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:

Annie
Sue changed it from Jewel to Jewel of the Seas. That is my story and I am sticking to it!

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old January 4th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

No edit. I have "special powers" to see those things.

My last Royal Caribbean cruise on Radiance was also bad in the food department. Betty rated it the worst she'd experienced.

I have a completely different assessment of NCL food. Overall it has been great and I've five NCL cruises in the last five years. I will say the MDR on NCL is not the greatest but the other restaurants are pretty good.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 4th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR. View Post
Sue changed it from Jewel to Jewel of the Seas. That is my story and I am sticking to it!
Of course

Annie
Old January 4th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I must say, I was pleasantly suprised, while on Allure of the Seas, they do have waiters comming around with a coffee cart, so no need to go to the coffee station...Although, it was a day or two before I noticed that they were there.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 5th, 2012, 02:29 AM
Captain

The overall food quality on NCL Pearl last year was far and away the worst of all our cruises....

our theory was they were trying to drive folks to the "pay" restaurent options. (the bacon was fine, though)
Old January 5th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Admiral

Well we also tried the Sea view cafe <free> once because it had a lot of options such as Fish&Chips. Being away from carbs since summer of 2010 I miss especially the Fish&Chips. It tasted fine but I had a hard time finding the fish among the batter and the french fries were terrible. I had a piece of Mango Cream cheese cake and after 1 bite gave it to Rick. However the view was stunning, the cafe is aft and to sit right there , the wind is blowing and the sun shinning , it made up for the food for sure! But thats also the place where a first time cruiser asked us if the food was like this on all cruise lines? they said it tasted like cafeteria style and did not like it. I assured them there are some cruise lines out there that have better food. I told them of our experience on Disney <cruised with them 4 times> and also on Princess. Now its been years and maybe it has changed but I hope it hasn't!