Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 17th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Admiral

Default Stephen Colbert

Stephen Colbert ,in my opinion is currently America's best satirist ,perhaps on par with Mort Sahl .

Are any of you fans of Colbert ?
Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

I do believe he is educating the public better than anyone else in regard to the way the superpacs work.
Old January 17th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Yes , I agree . I've been a satirist 40+ years and Colbert is my hero .
Old January 17th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Admiral

He's brilliant.

He's rewriting the comedy/satire playbook.

Last night's ploy to have people vote for Herman Cain as proxies for him in South Carolina is borderline genius.

For those who haven't been playing along, Stephen started his own Super-pac last July, signed it over to Jon Stewart last week so he could run in South Carolina. But alas, write-in votes are not allowed down there--God knows why not. But just as it is too late for Colbert to get on the ballot, it is too late to take Herman Cain's name off the ballot. So Stephen announced last night that he is running in Cain's name, and that a vote for Cain is a vote for him. He also mentioned that since SC's primary is an open primary, Democrats might want to consider packing the ballot boxes for Cain/Colbert. Hysterical.

Then this morning Colbert's Super-pac (now Jon Stewart's Super-pac) started running ads down there (without consulting Colbert, of course), urging people to vote for Cain while showing a picture of Colbert with an arrow pointing to him and the words "this guy" written in crayon in the corner of the screen.

I always thought that guys like Stan Freberg were the kings of satirical advertising, but what Colbert and Stewart are doing really tops all of what's happened before. To anyone who's paying attention and who "gets it," this exposing Super-pacs as idiotic, immoral, and damaging to the nation in the extreme is absolutely brilliant.

Whether he's actually "too sharp for the room," remains to be seen.
Old January 17th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Admiral

No doubt Colbert is a great satirist. I can't wait for (especially vis-a-vis the Supert Pacs) the same thing concerning those supporting the President.
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old January 21st, 2012, 08:15 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
No doubt Colbert is a great satirist. I can't wait for (especially vis-a-vis the Supert Pacs) the same thing concerning those supporting the President.
We can only watch what the free market provides us. Any comedian is free to satirize the President and become a hit just like Stephen Colbert. Unfortunately, the right-wing is, by and large, decidedly humorless.
Old January 21st, 2012, 08:28 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
We can only watch what the free market provides us. Any comedian is free to satirize the President and become a hit just like Stephen Colbert. Unfortunately, the right-wing is, by and large, decidedly humorless.
REALLY???