Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 16th, 2012, 11:45 PM
Admiral

Default Sicily

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I often talk about where we'd like to have another home, if we had the money. She, of course, wants a home in Italy, or Sicily, where she was born, and I would greatly prefer a home on St Thomas, or St. John. I think the answer is given in the posts above. Don't BUY anywhere, but just go and rent a home, or stay in a GREAT hotel for a week or two when you're in the mood. That way, you can have the absolute best of all worlds, and EVERYONE stays happy! (Better yet, just get on a cruise ship, and you can visit all of these places, without ever unpacking!) :-D

"SKY"
One of my closest friends was born in Sicily ,He plans to retire there .
Old March 17th, 2012, 10:32 AM
First Mate

I wouldn't say I am hooked on House Hunters, but I have watched it quite a bit. I like to watch it at night when there is nothing else on. I watched it more so when we were looking for a home to get excited and think about what we wanted!!

Donna, I do know what they mean about having to have two sinks!! It is very nice to not have to move out of the way when I am washing my face so my hubby can wash his hands. It is also very nice to not have his razor stubble around "my" sink, and I can leave my face wash and things out on the edge without him knocking the over when shaving. We can manage without, but it is a nice thing to have.

More important to me...... THE KITCHEN!!

Golden Princess 9/8/2012
Carnival Elation 11/02/2009
Carnival Pride 04/24/2006
Carnival Pride 05/23/2004
Carnival Elation (I think) 1999
Old March 17th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I believe that many of the people who are buying a "vacation home" are using it for rental income when they are not using it. I know a couple of people who have done that. A couple I know has a home, on the ocean, in the Fort Myers area. They rent it out for about nine months of the year and use it only in the late Winter/Early Spring for an escape from cold weather and to enjoy the Minnesota Twins pre-season games.

The rental fees cover the Association Fees, upkeep, cleaning, management costs and taxes but don't leave too much extra income. When I talk with them I and listen to the issues they have I don't think I'd want to do it. I've been a landlord for many years and it's hard enough to do it locally, even with using a management service, and not 2,000 miles away.

I do like to watch HHI just to see what the price of housing is in different parts of the world. I always have to check the date of the episode because a lot of the older shows don't reflect the current pricing. I also feel bad for the folks who bought in '07 and now have homes that around half the value.

Also: There are a lot of people where "money" isn't their main concern.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 20th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Captain

I, too, LOVE House Hunters! I especially love House Hunters International!