Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 27th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Admiral

Default Ruby Princess, Day 4, St. Maarten

Ruby Princess, Day 4 St. Maarten
Wednesday, March 14,

On Day 4, we were up early for breakfast in the dining room. I don't know why it took us 21 cruises to realize what a treat breakfast in the dining room could be....
Aside from being quiet, having great service, and having a great early morning view of the sea, we got to have very special breakfast treats like this delicious fruit salad in a pineapple boat, with honey yogurt dip.

Following breakfast, we went for our walk on the jogging track, and watched our approach to St. Maarten.

We were the 7th and last ship to arrive; the others were Celebrity Solstice, RCCL's Oasis of the Seas and Explorer of the Seas, Carnival Dream, Aida Vita, and Mein Schliff 2.
It was amazing to see so many ships in one place!

Our pre-booked shore excursion wasn't until 1 pm, so we played trivia twice; at 9:30 there was a large turnout (we came 2nd), and at 11:30 there were only 4 people playing, and we won!
Prizes on the Ruby were not much to write home about; pens, mini LED flashlights, playing cards, lanyards, that sort of thing, but it was always fun to play anyway.

By 1:00 we were off to our excursion, the Golden Eagle Catamaran Sail & Snorkel, which involved
a long walk through the Philipsburg plaza area to the waterfront where the catamaran awaited us.

It was a beautiful day, a clean, beautiful catamaran, a fun crew, great music, and free fruit punch as we sailed out of the harbour on our sail & snorkel adventure.

After a short sail, we anchored in a busy snorkeling area, where several other catamarans were discharging passengers.

We were given instructions where to find a sunken submarine, and a sunken helicopter, which I managed to find, along with a host of other underwater delights, fish, coral, sea urchins, and turtles.

Back onboard, we sailed to a secluded area where we had to swim off the catamaran to a beautiful beach, and we were served fruit punch or rum punch by the crew.

Some people, including James, were ferried across in an inflatable dinghy, and unfortunately, I did not bring my camera because I had to swim!
Back onboard, the rum punch was flowing, the music was playing, and wonderful little baguette sandwiches were served.
I must admit, I threw caution to the wind and enjoyed a sandwich or two, gluten be damned!

During our trip back, I noticed how much our Captain looked like actor Matthew McConaughey:
Our Captain:

Matthew McConaughey:

While on the subject of good looking crew members, one of them, wearing nothing more than shorts and a bow tie, came around pouring each of us glasses of champagne!

Another crew member was dancing with all the ladies, (myself included!) as we ate, drank, sang and danced our way back to St. Maarten - what a wonderful afternoon!

We didn't get back till about 5:30, and after showers and napping off the rum punch, it was 7:00 and we didn't feel like dressing up for the dining room, so instead, headed for the
Horizon Court where it was Italian Night. With all the pasta choices, there was not much for me (since I had already cheated on my gluten-free diet), but I did enjoy some chicken
parmesan, mashed potatoes and veggies. James enjoyed the many choices of Italian cakes for dessert, while I went for ice cream.

Since it was a relaxed kind of evening, we decided to enjoy the Movies Under the Stars.

We found ourselves a couple of comfortable padded chairs and warm blankets, and curled up to watch 2 hours of amazing entertainment on the big screen; Barry Manilow (laugh if you must, but he is truly a talented showman!), and Paul McCartney live in New York - 2 great concerts that were just like being there live. A great way to spend a wonderul, warm, clear night under the stars.....

At 9:30 p.m. there was the Ultimate Deck Party happening at the Neptune Reef and Pool, with the Cruise Director Sam, and her entertaiment staff, live music from pool band Accent,
and lots of dancing and fun. Dress code was "anything white or tropical", and we saw people in everything from white bathrobes to the ultimate Hawaiian shirts!

At one point there was an incredibly long conga line going up, down and all around the deck, and James has video of me having the time of my life!

Well, after a really super day in St. Maarten, and a super night onboard the Ruby Princess, it was time for bed once again, as we had to be up early tomorrow in St. Thomas.
Goodbye St. Maarten, until the next time......

Last edited by rollerdonna; March 27th, 2012 at 05:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Admiral

Sounds like a great day! Enjoy tomorrow

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old March 27th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

That was the shore excursion you missed when we cruised..Remember? penny and i came back quite drunk from all the free rum punch! It was one of the best shore excursions ever!
Old March 27th, 2012, 11:27 PM
Admiral

it was pretty great, and I'm surprised I wasn't drunk - I had multiple rum punches and I hate rum!

donna
Old March 28th, 2012, 01:40 PM
First Mate

WOW.....nice scenery Donna (guy who looks like Matthew).....lucky you.......oh.......St. Maarten is always nice too

Loving your review and pics!!

Gail
Comet Cruiser

Old March 28th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

OMG again! We were on that excursion as well. My husband and I were the only two who did not go in the water but remained on the boat (I had the short red hair and wore a purple top and pants, he had on the white cap). I had just gotten over bronchitis and as I am going on Nordam next week, did not want a recurrence by getting chilled. The crew was extremely friendly (esp in their bow ties!) and we were laughing with the captain over his new sunglasses which turned out not to be polarized after all!
I have not looked at all of your comments/photos yet but we also took cat rides in St. Thomas (Castaway Girl) and in Grand Turk (not as good as other two).
For sure, I'm going to save your photos (with your permission, of course) to add to my own. Should you want to save some of mine, let me know and I'll forward.
Again, thanks for the memories!
Old March 28th, 2012, 10:54 PM
Admiral

2katz3fsh (I presume the name is in refernce to your pets?)
how strange we were on the same excursion and didn't know each other!
My husband also stayed onboard, he does not snorkel, but loves to film me in the water! In fact, he videos just about everything, I call him
"Steven Spielberg".
Stay tuned for the next parts coming up!

donna

p.s. I'd love to see some of your pics!
Old March 28th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Admiral

2katz3fsh (I presume the name is in refernce to your pets?)
how strange we were on the same excursion and didn't know each other!
My husband also stayed onboard, he does not snorkel, but loves to film me in the water! In fact, he videos just about everything, I call him
"Steven Spielberg".
Stay tuned for the next parts coming up!

donna

p.s. I'd love to see some of your pics!
Old March 31st, 2012, 11:44 PM
Admiral

I love the pic of you in the water. You look like you were having a good time.