Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 29th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Admiral

Default Good thursday Morning!

Morning Mates, wherever you are this morning, don't you wish you were here instead?

Beautiful Grand Turk in the Turks and Caicos....
much preferable to the dull, cold weather day we're having here in Nova Scotia.
If you'd like more of Grand Turk, check out Day 6 of my Ruby Princess review....oh so much fun pretending you're really there....

Meanwhile, back to reality....it's aquafitness day, then work, and all while trying to stay warm. Healing wishes go out to all those who are under the weather....I think my own antibiotics are doing the trick, the belly pain is subsiding.
Have a good one!

donna
Old March 29th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Good morning and "Houston We Have a Problem".

Yesterday afternoon a large semi-trailer truck went off the road, near my house, luckily no human was injured but the truck took out the DSLAM aka the remote DSL box that services my area. The truck didn't just hit it the truck took the whole thing off the slab and destroyed it. Ergo; I now am without Internet and the guys from the local Telco say that they will have to order a new DSLAM and re-connect and re-wire the whole thing. This is going to be a real PIA for them and it may take two weeks before we have Internet. The truck missed the voice junction box so we at least I have telephone service. The older homes in the area are on a separate box for voice but the homes that were wired in the last seven years are out of luck. Their voice and data are in the DSLAM (Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer) I'm lucky they were lazy and kept the old switch.

So: This morning I am at the coffee shop with laptop and sipping my latte with the other computer users. I did dial-up last night and said to heck with it after twenty minutes. Cruise ship Internet is faster. So here I am on a public network and it's the end of the month and I have bills to pay and some stock work to do. We'll see how good my encryption and intrusion software is. At least I got my email downloaded. It's strange how "important" something becomes when you don't have it.

Plus: Our "tile guy" never showed up yesterday. He said he would be at our place around 5 to finish and never showed. I did try to call him around seven but no answer. I locked up and went to bed. Hopefully he will show up today.

Otherwise it's a nice Spring day here and once I finish paying my bills we'll head home and do some more cleaning and then Betty is off for a spa day with my daughter and granddaughter. They will have a massage, facial and then get their nails done. It sounded good to me but my granddaughter informed me that men don't get facials and don't get their nails done. Gee: My granddaughter is sexist.

If I'm not around much you'll know why. Hopefully they'll get the two tin cans and the string hooked up quicker than the initial estimate and I can get back online without driving three miles.

I hope all are doing well and if you aren't I hope you at least are doing better.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 29th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Admiral

Good morning Mates

Donna, that is a beautiful picture, but I live near Daytona beach and I have Palm trees in my front yard so I pretty happy just to be here in FL.

Mike that's a bummer, being without internet.

To those who are not feeling well I sne my thoughts and prayers.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old March 29th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Good morning from a wet warm Texas. I am also having computer problems. You know those ads you see next to your post? Well mine have started flashing really fast.

Jim is working on my computer, and hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Take care all...

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old March 29th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Admiral

Good morning mates
Sunny and cool today with temps warming up this weekend once again.
Iím waiting on my morning coffee to be done brewing, seems a little slow for some reason.
Not much going on today maybe Iíll take a trip to Target to see what it is I donít need and buy it. :o

Have a great day everyone!

Donna you're killing me with the pictures.... I want to be on the beach.

Mike Ö No internetÖ.YIKES!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old March 29th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Admiral

Mike, your granddaughter might be sexist, but the boys in my afterschool program sure are not....we planned a special "Nail Salon" day for the girls yesterday, but the little boys (all 5 yrs old) were fascinated watching and all wanted their nails done too, so we ended up sending about half a dozen little boys home yesterday with black or blue nail polish, some with red polka dots! Gotta love kids!

donna
Old March 29th, 2012, 10:27 AM
First Mate

Sunny mid-50's today in NW Ohio. Rain moving in for tonight and tomorrow. Weekend is to be nice and warm followed by rain on Monday!

Finally got my hair done yesterday. It was long and needed the help badly! Then, ran to larger town to pick up rest of meds from Monday's prescription. Had a quick sandwich and back home to the dogs!

DD#2 is in the midst of her "boards" test this morning. It is a five hour test in physical therapy. Another month of clinicals and then she graduates!!

Not much happening around here. Hope all have a great day!
Old March 29th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Morning from the Pacific Northwest.........wet......but warm.......

Mike.........hang in there.......

Not much going on today.........

Y'all have a good day.......

Sharon
Old March 29th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Good Morning cruisemates! Heading to 90 degrees today... so that means HOT. I love the heat because since I never excercise, it's the only time I sweat

Enjoyed dinner with my sister and brother in law last night. Today it's a golf game and dinner out with friends.

I'm definitely enjoying this snowbird lifestyle. I've adjusted very well to doing nothing useful
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 29th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Admiral

Morning mates. Donna, I do wish I was in Grand Turk. I've not had the time to read the reviews yet but can't wait. I can't believe it's only Thursday.
Old March 29th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Admiral

Default Good Thursday Morning

Good morning. It's overcast, but I'm sure that will burn off soon enough.

Pretty picture, Donna, but I can't say I want to be there. I don't like high humidity.

Have a good day, everybody.

Judy
Old March 29th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The prediction of a long Internet outage were greatly distorted. A temporary box was brought in and I'm up and running faster than ever before. I thought the one to two week estimate was a bit overblown but it's small phone company. When I was with BellSouth a two week outage was unheard of especially for a small multiplexor.

I will say they have pulled out all the stops. There are about 8 guys working at the corner and they are dropping off new modems to everyone who they hook up. The tech said it was easier to just give everyone a new modem than to reconfigure each household's existing modem. I guess they have about 60 households to re-do. That really isn't that much. A large switch can have a thousand or more individual lines.

Oh well: Now it's time to get some work done.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me