CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Star Princess ignores fishing boat in distress? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/388891-star-princess-ignores-fishing-boat-distress.html)

hockeynut April 17th, 2012 09:47 PM

Star Princess ignores fishing boat in distress?

There are some allegations that the crew of the Star Princess was alerted of a potential fishing boat in distress but did not help them.

2 of the 3 fishermen onboard died and Princess is now conducting an internal investigation.

Here is the full story:
Panama Castaways Were Spotted By Cruise Ship Passengers - And Ignored By Ship's Captain - Panama Guide

It will be interesting to see what Princess determines from their investigation. This is what they posted on Facebook:

"We’re aware of the allegations that Star Princess supposedly passed by a boat in distress that was carrying three Panamanian fishermen on March 10, 2012. At this time we cannot verify the facts as reported, and we are currently conducting an internal investigation on the matter.

We were very saddened to learn that two lives were lost aboard the boat, and our thoughts and prayers are with the families involved.

Princess Cruises is dedicated to the highest standards of seamanship wherever our ships sail, and we understand it is our duty to assist any vessel in distress. We have come to the aid of many people at sea, and we will continue to do so."

Mike M April 17th, 2012 10:20 PM

This is interesting and tragic. I will be very interested in how the investigation proceeds and what the findings are. Carnival Corporation and all cruise lines don't need more bad publicity.

The one thing to note is that cruise ships have rescued hundreds of people in the last ten years.

Take care,
Mike

hockeynut April 18th, 2012 01:39 AM

Yes, it will be interesting to see how this plays out. I find it hard to believe they would knowingly leave someone stranded. As mentioned, there are always reports of cruise ship coming to the rescue of those stranded at sea.

aerospace April 18th, 2012 04:26 AM

Q. Proper punishment for the captain?

A. Put him in a dingy and leave him at sea.

Trip April 18th, 2012 09:29 AM

It seems as we move through 2012, the cruise industry, is again in the news. The end result of the investigation I hope, is this is not the truth. I cannot fathom how a Captain of a ship would let this scenario play out without a full on rescue attempt. But, then I didn't think the Concordia Captain, would do what he did either....Time will tell.

hockeynut April 19th, 2012 08:38 PM

Princess has an official statement on their website which includes the results of their preliminary investigation.

I suppose the good news (if you can call it that) is that the Captain was not notified of the people in distress. It appears to have been a breakdown in communication in relaying the passenger's concern.

News Article : Princess Cruises

I do believe the results as Captain Perrin has been with Princess for a long time and has helped those in distress on the ocean before.