Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2012, 06:38 AM
Admiral

Default Thursday, the "Morning After"!

Morning Mates, how are y'all doing the morning after your big celebration? Stomachs full? Head pounding? Dogs still freaked out from all the fireworks? Hope everyone had a good 4th!

It was quiet here, just another Wednesday, and much too hot to do the planned gardening, so I took an afternoon off and read a book!
Did a shift at the ship (4 tourists!) then on to trivia with my friends and we won once again!

Today it's aquafitness, hopefully gardening, then I'm back rollerskating tonight, followed by a music show at our local theatre. I LOVE summer!

Meanwhile, I just had to share this photo I found on facebook:

Agreed?

donna
Old July 5th, 2012, 09:15 AM
First Mate

Threw a frisbees to the dogs out in the pool. They are so sweet and fun!! We were bad and had KFC chicken. Fireworks popped right over the house high in the air so we did not have to go anywhere (my friend and I). I have that "hung over" feeling today even though I did not have a drop to drink.

I got an Ipad for my birthday so I think I'll play with that some today. Other than that, I'm just flying by the seat of my pants today.

CarnivalTriumph
Old July 5th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Kids,
HHH here,and that's ok...Donna, when I read your about your day, it amazes me!

The famous Boston Pops at The Esplanade, had thunder and lightning galore, last night,and people were advised to leave the lawn,and go take shelter under an underpass..One lady told a cop, I have tried for 36 years to get in the front row,and now that I'm here, I'm not going anywhere!!!!! Let me note, that we had none of that weather,less than 20 miles away.

There has been some major firework incidents at private homes around here, which just makes my jaw drop..some of the fireworks, they showed on tv, were humongus. So now these familys are suffering, because onr of the adults thought they could do, what took the experts years to learn how to do safely..don't get me started! Kids with sparkler accidents too.

Bruce is now driving,and his on his way to the supermarket, an addiction he shows no evidence of stopping anytime soon.

Snorkl..I am contemplating an Ipad, even though I use my Fire as a mini Ipad..let me know how much you adore it.

Be safe,and make it a good one,

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 5th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Admiral

Good morning
No headaches or upset stomachs here and my cats didnít seem to mind living in what sounded like a war zone last night. We had a neighbor who lives across the alley blowing off professional grade fireworks in the alley between our garages so needless many of us were concerned about the fire hazard due to the drought going on in these parts. We did warn him one time but he continued to do so again after we went back in the house until five of us neighbors who happen to be all police went out together and told he really needed to stop, this time he took it seriously and stopped. Donít get me wrong I donít mind people blowing off fireworks but not so close to my house. Throughout the neighborhood all was quiet by midnight.

Much to do today in preparation of our Branson trip; laundry, last minute shopping notes for the house sitter and so on. I must say Iím so dreading the nine hour car ride so I will be loading up my Kindle.

Hope all is well with everyone and have a great day!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old July 5th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Trip, I thought about home and fireworks with the "Pops" on the esplanade. I tried to locate it on tv. Best I could find was Washington, that was good but Boston is HOME.So glad the rain did not spoil it.

Laura
ďTwenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didnít do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.ď
---Mark Twain

Old July 5th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Admiral

Good morning Mates

We had a nice day yesterday with an afternoon picnic at the beach and fireworks in the evening.

Now it's back to the usual schedule.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old July 5th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Admiral

We are doing some more pre cruise shopping .This weekend our grand kids and grand dog will be here beginning tomorrow afternoon.
Old July 5th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Good late morning mates. No firework here. There was a ban selling them in my community this year, so all was quiet. My niece told me she might have to wait another week to come for the visit. I guess we'll have to see. I woke my daughter up 12 minutes before she was supposed to be at work this morning. Good thing she lives 5 minutes away. She threw on clothes, brused teeth, grabbed food, and was off. She possibly needs to go to bed earlier.

Have a good day all.
Old July 5th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Admiral

We spent July 4th with friends; hot dogs, hamburgers, the rest of the usual fixings. Rob spent most of the afternoon volunteering for Community Emergency Rescue Training at the booth for lost children. It is hot, hot, hot, in Virginia Beach and the temperature should peak at 99 degrees later this afternoon. I am staying indoors until I have to leave for work!
Old July 5th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Admiral

Default Thursday the "Monring After"

Good morning. We had a very quiet holiday. Fireworks are banned here, but we heard the professional ones around us. The Rose Bowl always has a big display.

In a while we will be off the Los Angeles to see a play.

Have a good day!

Judy
Old July 5th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Familiar Face

Afternoon Folks

Quiet day here yesterday too. I made a huge vat of grilled wings and experimented with a new sauce. OMG, I did good!

The neighbors did fireworks two nights running, so we just watched from the porch. Less and less I want to fight the traffic for the tailgate party in town. I think the older I get, the more antisocial I get. A few friends, a glass of wine, I'm happy.

With 68 days to go before our Alaska cruise, I need to get into organizational mode. So super excited but I can't seem to even get my list together.
Old July 5th, 2012, 02:15 PM
First Mate

I am back! After Friday's storm (70-90 MPH winds), we lost power. Just got power back on Wednesday evening; a full, five days after the storm. The house was 87 degrees F when the thermostat regained power. It Was Hot! Poor dogs did very little, except lay in front of the fan and pant. I do not want to repeat the last five days EVER! It is warm in your house when the Hershey chocolate miniatures in the cupboard bend!!

We managed to get a generator on Saturday (actually 3 - ours, one for DD#1 and one for DSIL's grandparents/uncle). We did have fridge, freezer, one lamp, one fan, sump pump and, eventually, water hooked up to it. We got the last-known-to-exist 240 watt plug on Monday and DH had water running by noon! Did not do a lot during those five days as temps were running upper 90's and 99 yesterday!

As far as damage goes, we were really lucky. Lost a couple of broken flower pots and one flower pot I really did not want to lose! A few twigs/small limbs down in the yard. We escaped the heavy damage all around us; like downed trees, barns/buildings demolished and roofs partially or totally gone. There are still areas east of us without power.

Hope all had a good weekend and 4th. Glad to see everyone seems okay. Felt really out of touch with no power, TV, internet, and sometimes no phones! Glad to be back!
Old July 5th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Admiral

It was a quiet day here. Turned down an invitation simply because I wanted to rest and read. Went to bed around 10:30. Got up at one because I was hungry for peanut butter and crackers. Bad, bad move.

Had my peanut butter and crackers as I was reading, finished and went to get off the breakfast bar stool. Have absolutely no idea what happened but I fell over backwards grabbing at every thing I could. I still slammed the tile floor, all 6'3" (found out I'd shrunk and inch) and 255 pounds. As I hit there was crap raining down all over me...coffee mugs, pictures, you name it. Thank God I didn't grab the microwave!

I did a hell of a number on my back but it's all muscular problems so they'll cure themselves. It's now afternoon and I had forgot my Doctor was off today and tomorrow but not to worry about the pain as I also practice alternative medicine under Dr. Jack Daniels.

Hope everyone's having a good day. It's still a hot one here (currently 95 here at the house) with severe thunderstorms forecast.

Prayers continue for those on the list along with a request for Blessings upon all.
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old July 5th, 2012, 11:17 PM
Admiral

Todd, xoxoxoxoxoxoxo.

I wish you had a live in nurse.