Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 21st, 2012, 07:03 AM
Admiral

Default It's Wednesday and Black Friday is only two days away

Well, tomorrow is (to use my best Brooklyn accent) "Toikey Day" and tomorrow at Midnight the Christmas shopping season arrives with a virtual explosion.

Originally I was reading where "Sandy," however may result in a damper on consumer spending as some analysts are predicting. Now, I'm reading that as a result of the storm, large inventories have piled up in most areas which means more "Door Buster" sales thereby resulting in a very positive note. Okay, whose going to toss the coin?

Thankfully, Jeff figured out a way to forestall any hospitalization for me until at least the 30th. If it works big time, I may even be on the planet longer that I anticipated. Strangely, my weight of 243 matches the number that's on my original Departmental ID card that is always carried in your shield case opposite your shield itself and that was over 42 years ago! But in reality my present weight reflects a minimum of a 25-30 pounds (maybe more) of fluid build up. That is why I look as if I were one of those very young children knock over toys that immediately return to their upright as a result of weight distribution and rounded bottom. Or to use another example, those morbidly obese people one frequently sees at the buffet style restaurants that I refer to as "hog troughs." I admit that to an extent I too once almost mirrored such an appearance so I fit right in. I also am going to get my back X-rayed if only out of curiosity as to what, if any, "structural" damage has occurred as a result of my fall. Even though I already was on Lortab 7.5/500's, I'm getting increasingly uncomfortable. At most it will only mean I'll once again have to put on my back brace which is itself a "downer."

Speaking of spending, I'll join those who seek out my fellow Cruisemates' by putting out a survey. That question is: Do you intend to spend more or less this Holiday season and if it's less, the reason you won't (i.e. due to a domino effect from the storm)? Those who choose to answer should make this double question quite interesting.

Well, here's hoping everyone has a wonderful "Hump Day" and that your Thanksgiving weather is, if not perfect, doesn't disrupt any travel plans you may have. Here it's forecasted to be perfect tomorrow with sunny skies and a high around 60 F.

One final thing, this year's airfares are through the roof compared with last year which elicits from me a big "Geesh!". One great factor is that the airlines are minimizing the number of aircraft being used in order to fill all the seats not to mention the cost of the gasoline it'll take to visit grandma or other kin. We just can't win.

To steal for today Mike's patented closing, "Take care!"
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2012, 08:10 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Good morning Todd and all the Cruisemates who come toddling in afterward.

It's a nice morning here. Temp is around 45 and partly cloudy skies. Only part of Orion is showing up. It is supposed to be a warm day with a high around 60 but it goes down for Turkey Day. Temps will go into the 20's and 30's for the next week. Oh well, it's the end of November in Minnesota. What do you expect.

Todd: I know what you mean by the water weight. I've been eating deer sausage and brats for the last three days and I have gained ten pounds from the salt. I guess I'll have to do the diuretic diet plan on Friday. It's weird how someone can gain that much weight in such a short time. When we were in Europe I saw some pictures that were taken at my cousin's house and I am huge and then I look at pictures that were 36 hours later, after I did the diurece and I look normal. Still too fat but normal.

Today is just a cleaning and straightening day. Yesterday I put up my last two lights, picked up the Camry from the mechanic and went shopping for the odds and ends needed for Thanksgiving. Actually, our Thanksgiving will be on Saturday. My daughter and family will be at her husband's aunt's tomorrow so we'll feed them again on Saturday. My SIL told me that he would rather be at our place on Thursday but he has to do his family thing too. Plus, our food is better.

Todd: Take care of the back and hopefully you will stay out of the hospital for longer than you think.

I hope everyone has a great Wednesday and a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me

Last edited by Mike M; November 21st, 2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old November 21st, 2012, 08:13 AM
Admiral

Morning Todd, always glad to see you are still with us! Also glad you are not in the hospital again, and that your Dr. friend has taken a good look at you. For heaven's sakes, STAY OFF THAT BARSTOOL!

In answer to your "survey", I plan to spend next to nothing this Christmas, and it has nothing to do with "Sandy" or the economy.
It has to do with the fact I have not recovered from being unemployed all summer, and still only managing to find a very part-time job. After 3 years of part-time with half the pay I was used to, I am really feeling the pinch.

Meanwhile, I will continue to do "free" stuff, like going ice skating with my neighbour this morning. It's "free for seniors" day at the local rink! I'l try not to break anything...

donna
Old November 21st, 2012, 08:30 AM
Admiral

Good morning Todd, Mike, and Donna, and to all of our great friends who follow today! We have had a run of crystal clear skies for a week now and cooler weather but low lying fog in areas.

Today, I go to Hobby Airport where I will climb aboard a large helicopter and fly the skies of Houston and Harris County in what will become the norm in my bureau at the Harris County Sheriff's Office. The only time I have been in a helicopter before was as a patient in 2006, being life flighted to Memorial Hermann trauma center as a result of my being hit by that drunk driver. I was unconscious then but this time...

In the line of Todd's survey... I will spend less for the holidays, because we are not visiting nor hosting any family members this year. Both of us are still under the weather for now so that takes care of Thanksgiving. Last December 3, I bought Sandy a new computer and now, it is still in the box unopened. Soooo... regifted!!! I have not seen my daughter's children since her death last year so I cannot get anything for them.

That is all for now. Have a great day!!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old November 21st, 2012, 08:59 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I forgot to add to Todd's survey.

This year we are spending more on ourselves and less on others.

We consider our Asia trip our Christmas Present and it cost a lot more than we spent last year on everyone.

We have picked up a few small things for the kids and Grandkids and will probably find something to bring them back from Asia. I know they'll be excited to get something "Made in China".

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 21st, 2012, 09:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Good morning everyone from a nice Texas. No air, and no heat for the last couple of days, with the windows open.

Todd, Goodwill needs bar stools in your area. Do the right thing by them.

Donna, You are the most active "senior" I know of. Have fun.

Mike, Thanks for the help yesterday. Things are working good so far this morning. I am glad you had a minute to talk to Jim. The two of you have so much in common, I hope one day we can all meet.

Michael, My love I got cold chills when you mentioned your accident. Those were scary times for not only you, but for those of us on CM.

Yesterday I had a me day. Hair, nails, etc. This morning I woke up and thought I had blood on my hands.

Today I am going to cook the turkey breast, and a cake. If the pot holders work right, I will only be cooking one breast.

We were not going to spend as much this year, because we might be caught up in the budget cuts, but I think we will live for the day, and go ahead and spend a little more.

It is just the three of us, and we usually get what we want during the year, so it is kind of hard to buy for each other.

I hope all of my CM friends have a good day.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old November 21st, 2012, 10:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Kids,
A call from Fedex this morning, telling me I had a pkg coming today, canceled my lunch plans with a friend, so, I am in the middle of prepping for tomorrow.. Since when do they call??

Sauted the celery, onions & sausages for the stuffing,and made some boiled onions....I am cooking a small stuffed breast today, to have more white meat & stuffing to add to the 23 pound bird tomorrow.. I will do eveything I can today, to make tomorrow easier.

This year, I am giving an abundance of my jewelry to the girls,and when you ask everyone else, what do you want,and get a shrug..it makes things harder....amazon.com has a tv at a low price I may look at, but.....we'll see.

Todd, you better behave now..make it a good one. Happy holiday kids..xox

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 21st, 2012, 11:01 AM
Admiral

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old November 21st, 2012, 11:31 AM
Admiral

Good morning mates.

Trip, they call when they have something that they need you to sign. They want you to be at home.

To answer your question Todd, it will be about the same. My daughter and I looked at pea coats last night. She decided she did not want one. She left me a note that she had always wanted North Face fleece (which I knew) but it's too expensive, so never mind. I found the note this morning and looked on amazon. I found a blue (her favorite color) jacket for $90.00, which is very reasonable for North Face. I ordered it. It's not the grey she was wanting but she'll be happy.

We are having a small meal here for lunch then she and her dad are going to his family this evening and I'm going to my family. She has to go back to the university tomorrow morning because they are having a football game on Friday.

I hope everybody has a wonderful turkey day. Todd, stay off of the barstool. I like Luanne's idea of giving the things to Goodwill.
Old November 21st, 2012, 11:32 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Good Morning cruismates! Another picture perfect day on tap in the Arizona Desert. Highs in the low 80s coming.

Heading to the golf course shortly, then out for dinner with friends.

My kind of day plan
Old November 21st, 2012, 11:53 AM
First Mate

Well, a nice, sunny, upper 50's day in NW Ohio. To be in the 60's for turkey day!! Then, chance of snow on Friday - go figure!!

Todd, I got to spend a bit of time in that building with little rooms yesterday. It was for the rotor-rooter test (my first time). At least it was not as bad as I had anticipated (prep and test) and I made sure the doctor knew I wanted to remember NOTHING!!!!!!
All is well except for one spot he took. So, will know in a couple of weeks.

Now, I get to look forward to the turkey. DD#2 got one from the place she works and I (lucky me?!?!) gets to cook it. There is six of us (DD#1 and DH, DD#2 and DH, DH and I) so I think we will have plenty of turkey as it is over 18 pounds~!

DH is working all of the weekend (nights), so the weekend after Thursday will be quiet. I am still debating some black Friday shopping (either Thursday night before DH goes to work or later in the day on Friday). I still need lists from the kids!!! DH is pretty much done (my shopping for him and my shopping for him to give to me!!!)

We will probably spend about the same as before. Just need ideas from the kids on what to spend it on. DD#1 gave me some ideas, so I started a little; then found out she decided to have DMIL give ideas instead!!!! So, maybe some returns to do also!

Todd and Mike, please take care! I know what salt can do, too!

RD, you go, girl!

Mehawk, enjoy the flight. I would need fingernails peeled out of the arm rests!

Luanne, good for you on the "me" day. You deserve it!

Trip, wanna help a novice with a turkey?

Moirraine, glad your holiday shopping is started.

Hi to Aerogirl and Kuki and all the rest to follow. Hope all cruisemates have a great Thanksgiving (or just regular Thursday!)!
Old November 21st, 2012, 03:03 PM
Admiral

Default It's Wed. and Black Friday is only Two Days Away

A belated good morning to you all. I had 'puter problems this morning.

The bird is in the oven! Keith is cooking the turkey, dressing, and gravy. Later, we will transport the whole thing to Sherman Oaks where we will celebrate Thanksgiving a day early. Keith's son, wife and daughter plan to go to San Francisco tomorrow.

I hope everybody has a wonderful Thanksgiving regardless of what day you celebrate!

Judy