Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Captain

Didn't Huey Lewis say a long time back:

"Its Hip To Be Square"???

Why you should never follow a penguin underwater
Old July 17th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
I wish I had the money to buy a Tesla they look like great cars. According to the website the 60KWH battery goes 208 to 230 on one charge and the 85KWH goes 265 to 300 on one charge. My problem is the 60KWH is $62,400 and the 85 KWH is $72,400 and those prices are after the $7,500 Federal tax credit. So unless everyone wants to donate to my new car. I can't afford that. I will use the car to travel to Los Angeles so an all electric car isn't going to work for me. I will have to go with a hybrid electric/gas car.

Then just go with the best hybrid available, Prius.

Or better yet, save $5000 and get the 2013 Honda Civic. I get 40MPG in mine and am glad I chose it over the Prius. After calculations, it would have taken 20 years for me to recoup the $5k price difference at the gas pump had I bought the Prius.
Old July 17th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Admiral

I'll bet the Accord Hybrid would be a NICE car. I haven't looked at it, but have driven the regular Accords, and the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) drives an '08 Honda Accord, that I've not spent a dime on, except for scheduled maintenance. It's a super good car, but of course, doesn't get the mileage that a hybrid will get.

"SKY"
Old July 17th, 2013, 11:03 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
It may be a LONG time before a Camry drops dead!
Kat, why not buy a Camry Hybrid? Great car, not bad looking, affordable, and 40mpg or so! Also, Honda has several different Hybrid vehicles,,,not just the little, ugly ones.

"SKY"
Sky,

Yes it may. It is only five years old but it has now 123,000 miles on it. It is starting to use about 1 quart of oil in 3,000 miles but that isn't bad. I know it worked perfect on our 4200+ mile tour of the southwest that we just returned from. Over 30 mpg on most segments (27 - 29) in the mountains and as good as 36 mpg going from New Mexico to Dallas. It's flat and there were quite a few local LEOs out so Betty had to keep it below 80.

We'll see how long it lasts. I'm shooting for over 200,000.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 17th, 2013, 11:40 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
Then just go with the best hybrid available, Prius.

Or better yet, save $5000 and get the 2013 Honda Civic. I get 40MPG in mine and am glad I chose it over the Prius. After calculations, it would have taken 20 years for me to recoup the $5k price difference at the gas pump had I bought the Prius.
The lady also wants to laugh mockingly at rush-hour traffic as she whizzes by with her single-occupancy car-pool lane sticker... and she apparently is willing to pay in order to be able to do this.

Old July 19th, 2013, 08:24 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Sky,

Yes it may. It is only five years old but it has now 123,000 miles on it. It is starting to use about 1 quart of oil in 3,000 miles but that isn't bad. I know it worked perfect on our 4200+ mile tour of the southwest that we just returned from.
We'll see how long it lasts. I'm shooting for over 200,000.

Take care,
Mike
Traded my '02 Toyota Tundra recently, with 170K+ on it, and still running perfectly, and with no repairs since new. Also sold my '02 Honda Civic with over 165K,,,same deal. No problems, and no repairs since new. Keep the oil clean, and do minimum maintenance, and these vehicles will run FOREVER! Mike, I'd keep a clean spot in my garage for that Toyota. I'd bet it'll be around for a long, long time!

"SKY"
Old July 19th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship2shore View Post
The lady also wants to laugh mockingly at rush-hour traffic as she whizzes by with her single-occupancy car-pool lane sticker... and she apparently is willing to pay in order to be able to do this.
Also there is the Feds giving me a huge part of my tax money back if I get a Volt ($7500) or a Plug in Prius ($2500). I test drove both cars yesterday and it was interesting.

The Plug in Prius has Navigation and a back up camera of $33K. But also a strange chemical smell and isn't as gas efficient as the Volt for short trips. Also the green color is pretty cool and that car isn't as ugly as I thought.

The Volt is also $33K for dealer's rebate etc. The display is touch screen which is nice and in sport mode that sucker can move. Plus it feels bigger. I really like the Chevy. But I'm worried about maintenance issues. I noticed the warrant is pretty go on the Volt.

Interesting facts on both cars. The Volt is a 100% electric motor car and the Prius Plug is a hybrid. The Volt on one charge goes 50 miles after that the car's gasoline generator powers the electric motor. The plug in Prius never runs 100% on electricity it runs on electricity as lower speed and warmer temperature and switches to gasoline motor at high speeds. If I lived in a cold climate I would worry about getting the Volt do to reported issues in snow conditions. But where I live it's not an issue. It never gets that cold. My hubby prefers the Volt. The salesperson as Toyota didn't know her stuff. We would ask her questions and her replied were I can find out and I'm not sure. Not a good way to sale a car.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 20th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Captain

Find another salesperson.

Also, as for the Volt, around 80-100k is when the Chevrolets really start to fall apart. You are looking at "new car" statistics for a couple of years still....