Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:16 AM
Admiral

Default Flight booking nightmare

My friend booked our flight for our cruise with Hotwire back in April.
I was going through everything and went on our airline to see if anything changed and to my surprise it has us booked flying to FLL twice on the same day and coming home at 8:00am the morning of the ships return.

I told her she better call and see what the heck is going on. I would have never booked with them, I would of went directly to the airline as its the same price! Never again!!!

Has anyone ever purchased airline tickets via one of these type of booking sites?

Feeling edgy right now but the bright side of it is we're booked the day before our cruise and the time is good so we won't miss the ship just not sure about getting home!

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

If your friend cannot make a change, buy some pepto bismal! Even in Lauderdale, where the port and airport are so close, this is really pushing it. I don't think without a travel angel, it's going to happen.

You have to hope the ship clears customs, you can find your luggage, and, get out of the terminal, to grab a cab and get to the airport..Once there there is security to get through.

I am sure there will be charges involved to change the flight, it's worth it in my book, to not have to go through the above...good luck.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 3rd, 2013, 12:40 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
My friend booked our flight for our cruise with Hotwire back in April.
I was going through everything and went on our airline to see if anything changed and to my surprise it has us booked flying to FLL twice on the same day and coming home at 8:00am the morning of the ships return.

I told her she better call and see what the heck is going on. I would have never booked with them, I would of went directly to the airline as its the same price! Never again!!!

Has anyone ever purchased airline tickets via one of these type of booking sites?

Feeling edgy right now but the bright side of it is we're booked the day before our cruise and the time is good so we won't miss the ship just not sure about getting home!
Unlike a cruise booking an airline booking is controlled by you and not the agency or online site you have booked with.

If you are on the booking YOU can call the airline, with the confirmation number, and request a change. If they changed your flight they will probably oblige you. The problem with the "low cost" airlines, is that they charge you for everything. I don't know if this was the case in your booking but saving $25 - $50 isn't always worth it.

Depending on what airline it is, you should be able to change. I have booked through Orbitz on one occasion and also through Capital One and American Express Travel when using points and have had no problem with changes.

If the flight was changed they also should have notified your sister via email. On my upcoming flight to England I was informed by Capital One that I MUST CALL THEM IMMEDIATELY because of a flight change. The flight change was a five minute earlier arrival on my return flight to MSP.

Call the airline and see what can be changed.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 3rd, 2013, 03:24 PM
Admiral

It's American going and United coming back. Looks as if our coming home flight was canceled and they decided to put us on the early flight. My friend called Hotwire and the girl was filling out something to United stating we won't be off the ship and the ship is in Miami so is a no go. We should be able to be put on the 2:30 flight.

I have never booked through a third arty and I would never allow someone else to book me through one ever again.

Stay tuned!

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old September 3rd, 2013, 04:22 PM
Admiral

Have not used Hotwire for air. We have used for a hotel and the results were 50-50.

I have caught airlines changing flights on me before. Sometimes it is no big deal, a couple of times it was a hot mess. It hasn't seemed to matter whether I booked directly or through a TA. The benevolent(?) overlords of air travel do what they want.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old September 3rd, 2013, 05:38 PM
Admiral

Question

Can I make a 1:00 flight out of fort Lauderdale coming from the Miami cruiseport?

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old September 3rd, 2013, 05:44 PM
Admiral

In my opinion you will have no problem doing that...use, http://www.ridesas.com/...they charge $15.00 pp to get you to Lauderdale. I have used them,and they are great.....keep us in the loop..

Old September 3rd, 2013, 08:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
In my opinion you will have no problem doing that...use, http://www.ridesas.com/...they charge $15.00 pp to get you to Lauderdale. I have used them,and they are great.....keep us in the loop..
That's what I was thinking...thanks Trip.

There's no doubt I'm a bit of a control freak especially when it come to vacation so this whole thing stinks and our flight won't be confirmed until next week. I'm looking at it this way our flight going down is fine so we will be cruising with any problems and secondly if this is the worst thing to happen to me I'm doing great.

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old September 3rd, 2013, 09:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I kind of feel the same as you Aerogirl, especially flying to a cruise. For any other vacation, the time is not as critical. There are times, when we have to fly the day of the cruise, I try not to do that if possible. Hopefully you will be confirmed for the correct flights...

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 3rd, 2013, 09:24 PM
Admiral

Why do people, in general, want to get off the ship and onto an airplane so quickly? Why not stay onboard until you are forced off. Even if you have to fly home that day to get back to work (or feed the cat; whatever your emergency in life), why not get a later flight and relax?

Not criticizing anyone; just don't understand the rush off.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old September 3rd, 2013, 09:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Why do people, in general, want to get off the ship and onto an airplane so quickly? Why not stay onboard until you are forced off. Even if you have to fly home that day to get back to work (or feed the cat; whatever your emergency in life), why not get a later flight and relax?

Not criticizing anyone; just don't understand the rush off.
That's why we booked a return flight home for 5:00 pm, it's the airline who cancelled that flight and booked us on a 8:30 flight which is impossible to make so the only other direct flight on United is at 1:00 pm...not much of a choice.

I'm hoping that they will let us change our flight through Miami since it was they who messed up our plans.

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old September 4th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Admiral

I agree with Marc, I like to make them chase us off!

Last cruise we had a late-Ishmael flight. We sent our bags to the airport and jumped a cab for a nice lunch and walk on the beach before heading home.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old September 4th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
I agree with Marc, I like to make them chase us off!

Last cruise we had a late-Ishmael flight. We sent our bags to the airport and jumped a cab for a nice lunch and walk on the beach before heading home.
Us too, we have a car booked so we can roam around Miami but we'll have to see what happens. I hate being rushed, it's vacation I want to stay in that frame of mind as long as possible

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old September 4th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Admiral

When possible, I take the following Monday off after my cruise in case of hurricanes, emergencies etc...it's also allows me to "volunteer" my seat on overbooked flights on Sunday afternoon and earn enough travel credits to pay for next year's flights for my cruise...helping out the gate agent might also land you a hotel/meal voucher
Old September 4th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Admiral

Thumbs up Update!!!! Travel nightmare

Well I decided I wasn't just going to sit on it in good faith that we'll get what we want so I called American talked to a lady who was able to change all of it for us.
We will be flying American both ways arriving for our cruis the day before at 6:00 pm and going home on a 2:30 pm flight. I've already reserved the SAS transportation going home. I know my fiend will not be happy I went over the heads at Hotwire but oh well, I even was able to get her window seat and my isle seat, DONE AND DONE!!!!

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old September 4th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Admiral

Your friends should be singing your praises, and, thanking you, because the way it stood, you would all need depends, for the pressure, and, angst!

Good job Cruisemate!

Old September 4th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
Well I decided I wasn't just going to sit on it in good faith that we'll get what we want so I called American talked to a lady who was able to change all of it for us.
We will be flying American both ways arriving for our cruis the day before at 6:00 pm and going home on a 2:30 pm flight. I've already reserved the SAS transportation going home. I know my fiend will not be happy I went over the heads at Hotwire but oh well, I even was able to get her window seat and my isle seat, DONE AND DONE!!!!
You did the right thing. Don't deal with a call center employee when you need to get something done. Even if they have the best intentions there is no reason to go through a middle-man for airline reservations.

As I said earlier: Unlike a cruise reservation, you are in charge of your airline reservation and Hotwire, Expedia, Travelocity, etc. are just order takers.

You done good, and other than hurt feelings (if people are control freaks) you did the right thing. The only other thing that may cause a problem was booking the overnight stay and not getting the OK from the rest of the group for the additional cost.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 4th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post

The only other thing that may cause a problem was booking the overnight stay and not getting the OK from the rest of the group for the additional cost.

Take care,
Mike
We were booked for the day before from the get go and have our hotel reserved since early this year....control freak me would never fly in the day of a cruise

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old September 4th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Nice job Robin, hopefully your friend will appreciate all that you did....

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 4th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Admiral

I had given the lady at AA my friends E-Mail so she received the new conformation and called me to say "see" all is good, I'll let her think she took care of it with HW no harm done!

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old September 4th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Admiral

Old September 4th, 2013, 07:43 PM
Admiral

Glad it all worked out for ya Aero!!

We are opposite then everyone else....once the cruise is over we want the earliest flight and head home.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old September 4th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Same for me ...when it's over, it's over..unless we are post cruising!

Old September 7th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I learned the hard way not to use those pay first booking engines. I never used Hotwire before. I did use Priceline once and got a decent hotel but far away from where I asked for. To top it off the hotel restaurant was not serving anyone but a group that was staying there. The only restaurant within walking distance or that we could get to was a sandwich shop. We walked in the door and saw how nasty the place was and left. We went back to our room and ordered pizza delivery. From now on I choose what I want and then pay for it.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain