Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 25th, 2013, 06:05 AM
Admiral

Default I Miss (NCL) Norway!!!!

With all the discussion about today's megaships (Oasis etc), I happen to come across a picture from the 1990's of my Mom (who passed this year) and her travel buddy onboard NCL Norway on formal night on the grand stairway on the Jazz Cruise...that year, The Jazz Cruise honored the American Film Institute (AFI) Jazz Legends in Film from the 1930's and 1940's (her era)

The Norway was the Oasis of the Seas of it's time...because she had been convert from the SS France, she had the "bones" of grandeur of elegance of a trans Atlantic crossing...I can still remember the dead end hallways, the soot from the smokestacks when you tried to layout on the deck, the envy of the other cruiseships when we pulled into port, , the excitement of dressing up for formal night and having your picture taken.....so sad on her demise

Do you have fond memories of one specific cruise ship
Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2013, 12:12 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

I had the pleasure of sailing 3 times on the Norway - what a great lady she was!

The elegant Neptune Lounge with wonderful music late into the night, EVERYONE dressed to the nines on Formal Nights, the tiny single cabins (P046 was my favorite in 1994), Pam Petcash, the best Cruise Director in over 40 cruises I've taken since.

And yes, anchoring in every harbor as she was too large to dock anywhere.

What a sad ending to an elegant lady.
Old October 26th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I sailed the Norway in 2002. It was one of my most memorable cruises. The ocean liner charm was still there but she was in need of work and some folks thought she was shabby. I felt more like she was a beauty who had aged.

I often "resent" NCL and the publicity they garnered and propagated with the Norway and SS United States. They made a big deal about how they saved these liners but in reality they would not and have not spent the money needed to keep them in service. The Norway is now scrap metal. I know it may have been a bad business decision but they made sure they got their advertising and "good will" messages out for people to know how wonderful they were. I knew we would never see either one in service again.

Oh well: Here's to the grand ladies of the sea and their memories.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 26th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Admiral

Mike...I am sort of surprise that ship designers have not built a new ship in the outline of the Norway instead of the mega boxes that they have been producing
Old October 26th, 2013, 04:20 PM
Admiral

Jose and I were booked and only 6 weeks away from our cruise on the Norway when the boiler accident happened. As you all know, that was her end. We never got to experience that ocean liner type of cruise. I have always been sad for that, but our lost cruising experience pales when compared with the loss of life that occurred onboard that day.
Old October 27th, 2013, 05:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

May have been my 1st cruise, but certainly one of my first on the SS Norway. Bought the new book Only Way to Cross about ocean liners while on board. What a great surprise to meet the author 30 years later on my Princess transatlantic last year.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old November 10th, 2013, 12:34 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Send a message via AIM to Laedw Send a message via Yahoo to Laedw
Smile I miss the Jazz Cruises on the Norway

I cruised on the SS Norway several times. I have wonderful memories of meeting Joe Williams and Dorothy Donegan and grooving to their tunes as well as patting my feet to the music of the Count Basie Orchestra. I also remember the elaborate ice sculptures and selection of food at the midnight buffet.
Old November 13th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I lived on the ship for 18 weeks (stage mgr) and of course I have affection for it. I always wanted to take a regular cruise on it but never had a chance.

The ship was a classic - with a (at the time) one of the few dedicated blues bars, a real proscenium theater, a lovely promenade deck that happened to be closed in with clear windows, but it still offered a real feeling of being at sea. (Similar to the new Breakaway ships' "Waterfront").

The blue lady - she was a real ship, not just a floating resort.
Old November 13th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

DezertCruiser....

I highly recommend the Queen Mary 2 for the closest thing to an Ocean Liner experience - especially on crossing cruise.

Such an elegant ship - beautiful in every way.