CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   To Go Plate For Travel Home Airport Wait!!!! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/399890-go-plate-travel-home-airport-wait.html)

venice November 16th, 2013 03:01 AM

To Go Plate For Travel Home Airport Wait!!!!

Would it not be a wonderful idea for your favorite cruiseline to offer to prepare an :cool:airport lunch to go plate:cool:consisting of your favorite cold food selections that you had enjoyed on your cruise (yes, I know you are not allowed to bring food. off the ship) for those that have a 4 hour or more wait for their flight home? (I'm sure the airport concession vendors would not be happyrofl )

What items would be on your to go plate?

Deni November 16th, 2013 11:22 AM

I always say I'm going to bring Tupperware with me so I can bring home the pumpkin soup from Carnival. Yum!

AR November 16th, 2013 11:49 AM

As you know Venice, we love to cruise. . .

But I gotta tell ya, by the time we get off the ship, I'm mostly ready for some good Greek, Lebanese, Chinese, or yes, Cajun food. . .the stuff that ships wouldn't dare serve in any meaningful way.

The thought of another cold plate from sneeze-guard central to snarf out of a Styrofoam box at the airport holds exactly zero appeal.

CruisinK n J November 16th, 2013 12:12 PM

ToGo Plate for Travel Home Airport Wait

A lot of cruise lines have tours that passengers with long waits can go on. The cruise line then takes them to the airport.

Judy

venice November 16th, 2013 12:15 PM

AR...I was thinking more of the upscale steak houseroflroflrofl take out menu

What brought it to mind was my 6 hour wait at FLL airport..I fuel up at breakfast on the ship at 0715 but ran out of steam about 1pm in the gate area ...I could not bring myself to spend $10 for a Gyro wrap...needless to say the Southwest peanuts and pretzels images were dancing in my head as we were boarding at 315..

In New Orleans we have tons of ethnic food truck vendors that operate just outside of the French Quarter..maybe a deal could be worked out with the FLL airport commission to allow these vendors to be right by the shuttle as we board for our trip home at the port

FYI...Carnival's Freedom Seaday Brunch (we had 4 seadays on our 8 day charter) was a HUGE success after the word got out...folks were tired of the Lido deck breakfast buffet by the end of the cruise and they almost had to open the 2nd MDR due to the long wait lines...we are on the Freedom again next year for our Charter and will have breakfast there every sea day

AR November 16th, 2013 12:29 PM

Does Southwest still print the word "Frills" on their bags of pretzels? That was hysterical.

venice November 16th, 2013 02:19 PM

Yes they do....fyi...I figured it out for next year...Betty's Soul Food in Ft Lauderdale delivers...I will go in with my 8 friends and order brunch delivered to the airport before I go thru checkpoint security

AR November 16th, 2013 05:31 PM

That's more like it.

Back around 1990 I was headed for Florida for a business dinner. Around 4:00 I got on my Eastern Air Lines flight for the trip down. At this time Eastern was bankrupt, on the skids, and it would not be long before it shut down for good. I was in first class, and just as we were about to leave the captain announced that the plane was broken and until they got the right combination of parts, mechanics and luck, we wouldn't be going anywhere. I dozed off for awhile.

When I woke up I looked at the itinerary sheet that corporate flight departments gave you in those days. It said that we were to have "snacks," so when the FA went by I asked her about it. "Get up and come with me," she said. We walked together to the front of the plane where there was a galley and she started throwing open those metal doors behind which the food was stored.

Empty.

"Does that look like a snack to you?" I shook my head.

A guy sitting in the first row said, "Dominos delivers to the gate. I'm on this flight a lot and we do it all the time."

The cockpit door was open (kinder, gentler times) and the FO stuck his hand back with a $5 bill and said, "I'm in!"

Somebody went out to call it in (no cell phones in those days), and they did deliver, and we sat in first class eating pizza, waiting for them to fix the plane.

Before much more time went by, Eastern Air Lines was a memory.

Donna November 16th, 2013 06:44 PM

I do love their breads and rolls, a hand full of those as I go on my way, would be wonderful, even to munch on while flying home....

venice November 16th, 2013 08:26 PM

When the New Orleans airport was undergoing renovations for last year's SuperBowl, they rebid the vendor contracts and awarded more local well known dining venues with airport locations...it was also dictated that the cost could be no higher then what was charged in the City...thus you can purchase some great New Orleans dishes for a reasonable amount...wish FLL airport would do that

A small salad, some bread and dessert in a "to go" box for $5.00 would be a perfect departing gift from the cruiseline

After eating so much food onnthe ship, it takes a couple days to readjust to my normal diet

AR November 16th, 2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venice (Post 1489445)
When the New Orleans airport was undergoing renovations for last year's SuperBowl, they rebid the vendor contracts and awarded more local well known dining venues with airport locations...it was also dictated that the cost could be no higher then what was charged in the City...thus you can purchase some great New Orleans dishes for a reasonable amount...wish FLL airport would do that

A small salad, some bread and dessert in a "to go" box for $5.00 would be a perfect departing gift from the cruiseline

After eating so much food onnthe ship, it takes a couple days to readjust to my normal diet

Reason enough to return to MSY.