Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 2nd, 2014, 09:47 AM
Admiral

Default Our Triumph Cruise Concerns

Hey friends! DW and I are back from our trip on the Triumph and we had a great time. Of course, being in the Caribbean with temps in the upper 70s F are better than being at home in the low 20s F of last week!

The leg from Galveston to Progresso was completed on glass smooth seas. We left Progresso and later that evening, the ship suddenly began to tilt as if we were making an emergency turn! We went up to our cabin on the Panorama Deck (10) and I stepped out onto the balcony to see what was happening. Even though it was dark, I knew immediately what was up. A storm had stuck and the high winds were hitting the ship causing it to tilt. This tilting continued throughout the night. Additionally, the seas were so high that as the ship cut through the waves, the spray came up to our deck creating a concerning but, at the same time, beautiful moment. We went to sleep and woke up in Cozumel the next morning.

At the dock next to us was the Breeze! This was the first time we have been able to see her and she is a beauty! We were on the Magic during her inaugural cruise from Galveston so we were familiar with the size of her already. It was still gratifying to look up to her while on the Lido Deck of the Triumph, just the opposite of when we were on the Magic and looking down upon the Elation.

We left Cozumel Thursday evening and was hit by another storm! This one rocked and rolled the ship. Out came the barf bags and the pools were closed. The rocking lulled us off to sleep.

Friday rewarded us with the same glass smooth seas of the first day. At 3:30 pm EST, while 200 miles from Galveston, we were in the art auction when suddenly and without warning... the lights went out! After a moment, I realized that the ship was slowing to a stop. We were DEAD IN THE WATER!!! ADRIFT!!! No POWER ANYWHERE! Some 10 minutes later, the backup generator that was installed after the fire last year was started and the plumbing was restored as well as some of the hall lighting. After a 1 1/2 hour wait, the power was restored to the engines and propulsion was slowly restored. Looking out to see where were as we regained our heading, I was surprised to see how far off course we had drifted!

Saturday morning, we arrived in Galveston some 5 hours ahead of schedule! I guess the Captain wanted to get to port to gain more time for repairs. Overall, it was still a fun and spectacular cruise!

I hope Carnival gets the problems fixed on the Triumph.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2014, 10:06 AM
Admiral

Oh boy hopefully things get fixed. I can deal with the storms but the power going out and being dead in the water old of had me a little nervous. Glad your home safe and sound.....I think I can add Triumph to the ship I would never sail on.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

cruising the Breeze with Ray B & Lisa

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Old February 2nd, 2014, 10:57 AM
First Mate

Micheal, do you know if it went back out or did they cancel the next sailing?
Old February 2nd, 2014, 01:25 PM
Admiral

Yes, the Triumph left on time later that day that we came in.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 10:56 PM
Admiral

I'm glad you had a good cruise. I hope the problem fixed. Sounds like high seas don't bother you. My last cruise we had a day like that. It did not bother me other than trying to walk.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 06:49 AM
Admiral

Michael, I'm happy that you enjoyed your cruise, but that was also quite an adventure.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!