Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 10th, 2005, 10:03 PM
dannypastuck

Default my starboard interview

i just had an interview with starboard cruise services for a position in their onboard gift shops. the interview took place with their recruiter (phillip, a nice british guy) and susan andrews (their canadian hiring partner). the interview went really well, the orientation was excellent, and i'm fairly confident i'll get the position (philip said we (a group of three candidates) had nothing to worry about.

what concerns me is the time it takes to get a position. i started on this "get a cruise ship job" thing in september. its now 8 months later, and i'm finally finished university and ready to ship out. i had interviewed with several cruise lines for retail positions, and chose starboard. but philip said that due to the high employee retention rates (low turnover), its taking longer now than ever to place new hires onboard ships. he was really vague about this.

my question is, to any of you who have ever worked for starboard, how long did it take from the date you were hired to the time you finally got your ship contract?

any questions or comments are welcome.

danny. ( pastuck@gmail.com )
Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: my starboard interview

Hi Danny- You never emailed me back! Hope all is well....
It can take a long time- it really can... As I told you it took 3 1/2 months just to get the call to say that a position had opened up. You have to be patient- and unfortunately - no one will ever tell you how long the wait will really be no matter how much you plea.... so it is either a matter of finding a part time job or attepmting another cruise line but the same thing can happen with every line...
Old April 15th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

The problem is that no one knows how long it will take - it isn't like having a baby, it just depends on the desires of the people on board - if some want to quit then they need to hire more. The upside is this - it must be a pretty decent job once you get on if people are not quitting right & left. I would be more worried if he said the turnover rate was high.

What cruise lines does this company represent? It might be that they don't have that many ships.

Old April 17th, 2005, 06:45 PM
dannypastuck

the position is with starboard cruise services (retailer with shops onboard carnival, royal caribbean, celebrity, cunard, holland america, etc..).

i recieved an email from the hiring agent who said i had be accepted, and that she would call to confirm everything this coming week! still no word about my first assignment, but i guess i'll just have to wait and see.

if i find out any more information, i'll let you all know.

and, alana, hope you are doing well on royal caribbean. email me to let me know how things are going.

- danny.
Old March 16th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Beginner

Default Hello Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannypastuck View Post
i just had an interview with starboard cruise services for a position in their onboard gift shops. the interview took place with their recruiter (phillip, a nice british guy) and susan andrews (their canadian hiring partner). the interview went really well, the orientation was excellent, and i'm fairly confident i'll get the position (philip said we (a group of three candidates) had nothing to worry about.

what concerns me is the time it takes to get a position. i started on this "get a cruise ship job" thing in september. its now 8 months later, and i'm finally finished university and ready to ship out. i had interviewed with several cruise lines for retail positions, and chose starboard. but philip said that due to the high employee retention rates (low turnover), its taking longer now than ever to place new hires onboard ships. he was really vague about this.

my question is, to any of you who have ever worked for starboard, how long did it take from the date you were hired to the time you finally got your ship contract?

any questions or comments are welcome.

danny. ( pastuck@gmail.com )
Hello Danny,
I will have this month an interview with starboard and i was hoping that you can share with me what to expect from them..like what questions do they ask,,thigs like this ... thank you in advance ,,please reply if you can.thanks
Old April 20th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Beginner

Default Hey Daniell

How did the interview go? I've got one myself next week - volcano ash permitting ha ha - what kind of questions did they ask you? hope it went well best of luck - Aidan