Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 8th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Beginner

Send a message via ICQ to fau mos Send a message via MSN to fau mos
Default life on carnival, being a purser

hello people, well next year I will start to work with carnival in the purser department and i'm very excited about it, and I was wonderind:

first of all I want to tell you that it's my first job on cruises.

Will I be able to be on the land for some days once in a while having my relatives living in Us? (if I will get the chance to stop close to them)

Woriking hard doesn't scares me at all, but will I be able to negotiate some day off once in a while on my contracts?

Any good advice to deal in the contract that I will go to discuss?

Will I be able to make my own family? at list, will I have the possibility to see them 2 or 3 times during my work contract? (i personally can believe that having a family can be sad like that if you can't see them in 6 months)

I'm going to try to make a career overthere, I think it's an amazing life, but generally, how many years is average time to arrive to be a chief?(working hard and good)
Will I be able to change department if I do not like it? working on cruises gives to you a good resume if one day, I wll look for a job off board?

How hard is it go get a Job off board after years that you work on a ship? is it possible? I'm not Us citizen

Thanks a lot people, I know it's a lot of questions, but I'm new, and I'm sure you will understand my feelings about it very well.

thanks a lot
Sponsored Links
Old December 9th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Passenger

Hi there

well i have been a purser for 3 years and I am in love with my job completly!

Prepare to work hard though, serioulsy.

If you have just begun, then you will be going to the fascination, for a 2 week purser college...you will spend 1 week in class on board, and then 1 week working along side the Fascination pursers, very nice team on there, I have a lot of friends on that ship and the office is very nice.
Aftet the 2 week is up, then everyone from your college with be sent to different ships as pursers. Alone! So do not get attached to you college mates, really, because you will be serperated!!
There you will stay for a 6-8 month contract.

i dont understand what you mean about seeing relatives live with you.
No, the ship never stops the itineray, so yes you get to get off in ports depending on your shift that day, but as far as seeing relatives...only if they are living in one of the ports we call at! The home port day in the usa, embarkation day is the busiest day for all pursers, so we do not really get to see much of the home port.
You will be able to have imediate family sail on discount, but only after you have worked 6 months for the company and depending on the cruise avalibility.

You will not have a day off. You will have parts of days off, but you will have a shift on the desk every day, 7 days a week. This sounds sacry, but really, it isnt, you get very used to it. Sometimes you will have the morning shift, and then the day is yours...providing all your side duties are handled. Eg, whatever they assign to you...like lost luggage, special needs guests...lost and found etc.

It is a good life, I mean, after my first contract i missed my family and my home so much, and wanted out, and said that i wasn't going back, but after one week at home...it snice to see everyone, but then you see, everyone has their own job and life...and you find yourself alone a lot and miss the crazy ship life very much. So I came back and i am addicted! I have been promoted so its all the more reason to return, plus I fell in love over there, and with me and my boy being from different countries...well, its the only we we can be together if we go back on ships.

Its easy i suppose to get a job off the ship afterwards...but I don't know what you mean. If you mean staying in the usa, well you need a green card of course...that is not my plan, I will stay in england after my time on ships so i cannot help you there

hope i answered what i could

Emma xox
Old December 9th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Beginner

thanks a lot purser Emma, yes you answered most of my questions, who knows maybe a day I will meet you aboard some ship and I will be glad to shake your hand...
Regards
Old December 9th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Passenger

maybe if you get sent to the Spirit!! i will be there for the next 8 month...

good luck
Old December 9th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Admiral

Emma?

What is your internet life while working?

Do you get any chance to be on these boards, if so do you get use of the ships internet connection or do you use land based cafes etc?

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old December 9th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Beginner

Dear Emma, what I tried to ask you was about having my relatives living in NY and in Miami, If I will get the chance to get some line that stops in that ports, will I be able during my contract to go off the ship for some day?
or I will have to be aboard with out even have the chance to sleep on land one night? there is the chance to ask some day off at the port or somehting like that once in a while?
still regards and thanks a lot for your help
Old December 10th, 2005, 05:10 AM
Passenger

well you cannot choose your ship.
If thats where your relatives are living and you go there, you an get a day pass for them to onboard and see you...but like i said, USA ports are embaraktion day...so you will have no time hardly, only maybe an hour or so to make a quick call.
You do not get chance to stay on land for one night no...this is because the ship stays in ports for one day at the most, arrives in the morning and leaves at night...so you cannot be off the ship over night or you would miss it.

If you are doing this job you have to be prepared phisically and mentally to leave behind your loved ones for up to 8 months.
If you feel you cannot do this, then dont apply or you will be miserable. It is a very demanding life and you will not have time to be sad and miserable. They need positive people!...or they will send you home, really. Think about this before you apply, for your own good .

In answer to the internet question...yes we have internet onboard
We have a crew cafe, but its very slow as it is run by satellite. Also in ports there is internet cafes for crew that is very cheap that i use.

Hopefully i helped

Thanks...
Old December 10th, 2005, 05:10 AM
Passenger

well you cannot choose your ship.
If thats where your relatives are living and you go there, you an get a day pass for them to onboard and see you...but like i said, USA ports are embaraktion day...so you will have no time hardly, only maybe an hour or so to make a quick call.
You do not get chance to stay on land for one night no...this is because the ship stays in ports for one day at the most, arrives in the morning and leaves at night...so you cannot be off the ship over night or you would miss it.

If you are doing this job you have to be prepared phisically and mentally to leave behind your loved ones for up to 8 months.
If you feel you cannot do this, then dont apply or you will be miserable. It is a very demanding life and you will not have time to be sad and miserable. They need positive people!...or they will send you home, really. Think about this before you apply, for your own good .

In answer to the internet question...yes we have internet onboard
We have a crew cafe, but its very slow as it is run by satellite. Also in ports there is internet cafes for crew that is very cheap that i use.

Hopefully i helped

Thanks...
Old August 23rd, 2011, 03:35 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Smile Hey Guys!

Hi Guys!
Well thanks for all the info Emma! x (tho it isnt directed at me,its been soo beneficial).
I have a Q tho!
As a purser (say on Carnival), and by purser I mean Im gonna be joining completely fresh,gonna be attending purser college (soo you know I don't really know a thing)
* What are the cash transactions do I have to really handle??
* Like in hotels,would all the outlets (spa,rest,gift shop) bring in their daily cash to me??
* Do I have to maintain and balance accounts and count loads of cash and stuff??
*Any other stuff I would have to do which would involve cash and numbers and would be difficult!!

Ps: I love guest relations and talking to people,helping them out,going out of my way just to make sure a guest would have an awesome vacation but Im a lil afraid when it comes to working with cash and numbers! I do really want to work in the guest relations department (purser department) abord a cruise liner!! thanks again! xx