Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 19th, 2006, 02:01 AM
Passenger

Default wireless access onboard (NCLA)?

Does NCLA offer wifi on their Hawaii ships? Also we were encouraged not to bring any notebook pcs or blackberrys'....I would be totally lost without wireless connection and laptop....
Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2006, 12:38 PM
BEACH DOUG

Who advised you of that... and why no Blackberry's?
Old July 31st, 2006, 12:34 AM
Passenger

the recruiter told us not to pack our laptops, pda's etc....because people steal....oh my! imagine that
Old August 2nd, 2006, 02:48 PM
Passenger

Default wireless access onboard

I think, aside from the possible theft and claims, that you are discouraged to bring along hi tech gear for lack of wifi support. And every checkpoint would be a place for someone else to handle your expensive items. We only took our cell phones and those didn't work about 2 hours after we left port. Another thought is that you are leaving behind your day-to-day life and are supposed to be RELAXING/ON VACATION. So put your feet up, check in w/ the televised news if you must and breathe in the sea air as you sail onward!
I know this is a difficult idea as I am married to a man who is always electronically connected to as much as possible but, really, he did manage to let go of all that and STILL had a great vacation!

Lady Di
Old August 3rd, 2006, 01:23 AM
Beginner

This is a crew members forum. We will be on board for months.

You are answering as a cruiser.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 08:24 AM
Passenger

humblest apologies.
Old August 8th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Passenger

Hi, I don't know about NCL America, but in the regular NCL a lot of people bring their laptops with them.

Of course I'm talking about those who share their cabins with no one or with one more person. I don't know about those who share with 3.

There's also internet for crew so you are still pretty well connected to the cyber world
Old September 3rd, 2006, 07:54 PM
Passenger

I was on the Dawn and the recruiter also told me not to bring laptops. He also told me I'd be getting paid $1000 more per month than I was supposed to be getting paid, so, my advice when dealing with the recruiters of NCL is to take anything they say with a grain of salt.

I brought my laptop on board and even though they said we had Internet in our rooms (with the cable hookup), we didn't. Nobody I knew could get it to work. I could get wireless connection, but I had to go into a passenger area to do it.
My job allowed me access to the passenger areas, so on my off-duty time when nobody was working in the Library I would go there and go online...not for free mind you, with one of the net cards, but still, I was able to access the net wirelessly.

It was a bit of a hastle having to walk the length of the ship and going up 8 decks to a passenger area (where they always assume you're on duty, not that I wouldn't in their shoes) just to use the net on my laptop, but, it was doable.

Not sure if this helps you or not, since a majority of crew members don't have access to the passenger areas on their off-duty time.
Old September 10th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Beginner

I work for NCLA and it depends on which of the 3 ships you are assigned to. On the pride of Aloha wireless is not available in most crew areas but wired is in cabins. On the Pride of America there is wireless availabli in crew areas but no connection at all in cabins. And on the Pride of Hawaii there is good wireless coverreage in all crew areas and wired connection in the cabins. As a crew member you will have to buy an internet card for $20 from a dispenser and it gives you roughly 200 minutes of time. I would never listen to a recruiter about anything except the time you are supposed to show up for your interview. They are paid by the number of bodies they bring in and will tell you anything. Go ahead and bring your electronics you have some space to lock up what you are worried about.