Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 23rd, 2007, 10:18 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Leah
Default Second Thoughts - Help

I leave tomorrow to start my first 6 mnth contract ever

I am having serious second thoughts hereI thought I was fine and then it just hit me hard this morning. I am a bundle of emotions today and have shed some tears.

Is this normal, did anyone else feel this way
Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2007, 06:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

This is completely normal! Don't worry. In one month from know you will love your onboard life and your second thoghts are miles away!!
Old February 23rd, 2007, 09:34 PM
Passenger

thnxs Mr Mate but as the day progressed I just got worse
Old February 23rd, 2007, 10:55 PM
First Mate

Hi Leah

It's going to be a fabulous journey. The weather should be very warm and sunny! (are you in snow now?)

I was pretty scared too, my first contract. I was leaving a very "safe" job I had for years and crossing the country to who knows what. And to be honest, my first couple of days I wondered what the heck I had gotten myself into. But I stuck it out - it took about 3-4 to get used to the rythym of the cruise and routine. By week 6, I was sold! And I'm very glad I made the change.

The EX is a really good first ship! You won't believe how big it is!
And the shoppies are always a fun crowd.

And you won't believe how small you're cabin will be

Say hi to the ship for me!
Old March 5th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Passenger

Did she go?

. Celebrity Millennium - Transatlantic Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale

. Celebrity Infinity - Panama Canal - Fort Lauderdale To San Francisco

RCL Empress Of The Seas - Bermuda - September 2007
RCL - Legend Of The Seas - Transatlantic - April 2007
RCL Majesty Of The Seas - Caribbean - Christmas 2006
RCL Navigator Of The Seas - Caribbean - Sept 2004
Old March 5th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Passenger

Hi Everyone,

unfortunately no I have not gone yet.

On top of nerves I had to go the hospital with my appendix just before I was to leave. Maybe it wasn't nerves after all.

But the good thing is that once they make sure I am good and my appendix won't burst for sure I can go.

Starboard has been really good about the whole thing sooooo I will let everyone know ....and yes I am still in SNOW YUCK
Old March 5th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Passenger

Hi Leah,
sorry to hear that.But I must say it's a good thing that you were able to take care of it at home.Though there is a good medical facility onboard but in situations like this you would usually have to get off ship,maybe in some port of call.It's not all bad when that happens but it can be a terrifying expirience for a first timer.

So I guess you will be meeting me onboard then.I will be joining on Sunday.I hope all goes well with you.

See you real soon.

Joe
Old March 5th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Passenger

Joe,

yep I am feeling pretty good. I thought it was nerves the few days before and turns out it is this .... ha ha ha

good luck have a great contract, I am not sure I will get Explorer of the Seas again but I might so lets hope !!!!!!!

Leah
Old March 5th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Passenger

Leah,

It's great to hear you are feeling better. SZ and I were wondering whether you had made it onboard or not since your last post left us all wondering if the nerves would win or not. Maybe this was fate - giving you a chance to sort out how you were feeling and be sure about what you are doing....stranger things have happened!

I'm still pining away for my start date...and suffering through this crappy storm weather that's been hitting Ontario. -32C tonight does NOT make me happy that I am still here.

Keep feeling better and good luck on your reassignment - let us know when you hear what's happening for sure.

Ciao,
R
Old March 6th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Passenger

Hey Leah,
good to hear that you are ok.It would be nice if you would be reassigned to the Explorer or even another Voyager class vessel.The commisions on these class of ships are the best to start.I do hope all goes well with your reasignment anyways and hope they don't keep you waiting to long.

all the best
Joe
Old April 2nd, 2007, 06:14 PM
Passenger

Well for anyone wondering I am still at home. I am hoping I will try this again at the end of May, I will keep you all posted. For anyone also wondering it was not nerves the few days before, it turns out it was my appendix ok not too funny. SO I am just hanging out at home and I will be contact Cast a way soon to get my sell back on the ship assignment list ....
Old April 13th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I think what you were experiencing is fear of the unknown - perfectly normal. You are putting yourself in a situation on a cruise ship where you have committed to certain lifestyle for a fair amount of time.

The truth, however, is that once you get onboard you will find that most people will respect your privacy and time off. It isn't like you are on duty 24 hours/day. Focus on doing your job on board, and not all the other things, and the rest will take care of itself.
Old April 13th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Passenger

Thanks Paul !!!

It is weid to think that I will be gone and in the same place for six months ha ha ha with no weekends off. But if you look at the PROS I think they out weigh the CONS ...plus I will meet a ton of new friends. I think it is just the first few days of the unknown....
Old April 21st, 2007, 08:40 PM
Passenger

Hello Leah,

Think of it this way; if you're scared, so are all the other new crewmembers. "We're all in the same boat!". I haven't received my dispatch yet but I have been working as a wiper for about 6 months. The standby positions were the worst even though they paid extremely well! The position I enjoyed the most(I mean I really loved it) was working on a RESERVE READY FLEET ship! I was scared as we, too, worked 10+ hours a day with 30 days on and one day off. Now, try and imagine cleaning a huge 40-year-old cargo ship's bilge. Yeah, it took 30 days and eight 55-gallon drums of oil, asbestos, and tank overflow(YUCK)...that was dangerous, that was HARD WORK and it was the best experience of my life even though I made less money on that job than I have ever made industry.

I think you're going to love it and I think the fear is part of it. Let me tell you, I can't wait to get my sailing date!!! I LOVE WORKING ON SHIPS!

Joe
Old April 21st, 2007, 10:54 PM
Passenger

Hi joe I am leaving June 15th for Seattle Washington for the Vision of the seas and this time I really can't wait ..Good luck to you and keep me posted!!!!!
Old April 22nd, 2007, 05:06 AM
Passenger

I'M GLAD YOU'RE GOING TO DO IT!!! After reading more about my position, I'm really starting to get excited! I just went out and spend $180 on training materials and "INSIDER'S MAPS" of Hawaii. I don't know what ship I'll be on yet but I will keep you posted!

Leah, is it really true that the Canadian boder patrol cops are yanking American Mariners with misdemeanors? This rumor(and the overtime) are the reason I decided to go Jones-Act, American flag as opposed to foreign. I'm getting the feeling that NON-US flags pay better for cruise staff positions? Is it true?

From the looks of NCLA's awesome fleet of new ships, I don't care what vessel I am dispatched to. When I was working with engines, I never set foot on a ship that wasn't older than myself! The last tub I hired on with for the Navy Reserve was over 40 years old!!! Still, new ships look like floating timeshares to me (from the outside) and I love the sleek, real-ship feel of old liberty boats.

The first time I worked at the naval stating I knew that I would work on ships until they carried me away or sent me away. The sounds of my boots hitting the pavement on the pier as I walked between 16 enormous grey cargo ships was akin to the sweet sounds of my sons first clumsy footsteps on my hardwood floors. Seriously, it sent chills down my spine!

As a Canadian, why don't you work on the Great Lakes? I heard that there's plenty of work and lotsa' money...?
Keep in touch

Joeyd
Old April 22nd, 2007, 04:07 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by usunionwiper
Leah, is it really true that the Canadian boder patrol cops are yanking American Mariners with misdemeanors? This rumor(and the overtime) are the reason I decided to go Jones-Act, American flag as opposed to foreign. I'm getting the feeling that NON-US flags pay better for cruise staff positions? Is it true?

As a Canadian, why don't you work on the Great Lakes? I heard that there's plenty of work and lotsa' money...?
Keep in touch

Joeyd
First of all I know the Canadian Boarder/Coast Guard are very stick more so then American. I am not sure about the misdemeanor thing though!

Ummm as a Canadian there is more of the world I want to see then the great lakes, plus I never really even thought about it. I am trying to get to places that are otherwise expensive to travel to. And why not do it on a big cruise ship.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 07:55 PM
Beginner

USUNIONWIPER:
Are you SIU?
I sailed with them 13 years and started at Piney Point in 1973.
I also started out as a wiper then FOWT and Finally QMED. I worked on the RRF ships when they were Sealand and they were the fastest freight ships ever at 33 knots+.
When they were new and breaking the speed records they came into Seattle too hot and damaged many seawalls with the wake.
It was a great experience and I only wish we had a larger cruise fleet back then, talk about old it was the Indy and Connie. Independence was featured in an I love Lucy episode that was very funny with Lucy missing the ship.

Good luck to you all.
As I recall it was always scary going to a new ship but generally the anticipation was worse than reality.
Old June 12th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to faye louise

i worked away on a cruise liner for 8 months it was my first time away from home ever but workin on a sip has been a life long dream. i worked in the spa so before i joined the ship i had to do a course in london for the first 2 weeks in london i cried proabaly every night then when i joined the ship i think i cried every day for the first month!funny when i look back now but the only reason why i was so sad coz i was home sick. but time passed and i can honestly say it was the best thing i have ever done in my life it was amazing. you will see and experince things you will remember for the rest of your life im still on a high now and ive been home 5 months!!it was very scary for me at first i was 19 when i left to work away and now i cannot wait to go out there and do it all again hope you have a fantastic time!