Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 8th, 2007, 02:14 AM
Passenger

Default MMD and prior

Hi Just some advice please... I am going thursday the 11th for my mmd application in SC. Over 10 years ago I received an dui that was reduced to wreckless driving becuase i had spotless driving record for 25 years. My attorney told me not to worry. However i was fingerprinted and I feel I need to disclose this info. Do you think it will harm me if I dont disclose? I really want this job and this is the last hurddle, i passed everything else.
Concerned....
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I have not been through NCLA's process, but in most situations like this lying on an application is worse than the offense you try to cover up. Yes, you should disclose the situation, in my opinion. You are not applying for a driving position, a single DUI ten years ago should not be enough to hinder your chances of getting a job.

Most people I have seen here who have been through MMD say the same thing.
Old October 8th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Passenger

When they do a background check for your MMD they are going to find out about the charges brought against you no matter what, so it wouldn't be wise to pretend like it didn't happen. I'm willing to bet there are a lot of people working on US flagged ships with an MMD that have had some kind of run-in with the law, you're not alone.
Old October 8th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Passenger

Thank you both for the advice, I will disclose this info on thursday..Hopefully i will still be employed with NCLA, i was hoping that someone with similar circumstances would comment and make me feel more assured..
Old October 8th, 2007, 01:45 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veets43
Thank you both for the advice, I will disclose this info on thursday..Hopefully i will still be employed with NCLA, i was hoping that someone with similar circumstances would comment and make me feel more assured..
Do not like lie about anything on your MMD app, or fail to disclose anything... forgetting about something will disqualify you.

As seen on most job applications it states 'list all convictions and charges. it may not bar disqualify you from employment, but failure to disclose will'. Be safe and tell them everything about your past.
Old October 9th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Passenger

Default MMD and prior

I would tell the truth, if you dont the coast guard will find out when they do your background check, you will not qualify for your mmd, you will have to wait 3 years until you qualify, If you are applying for a Merchant Mariner's Document (MMD) then YOU MUST APPEAR at the REC for fingerprinting. (Note: If you were recently issued an MMD it may not be necessary to be re-fingerprinted. Contact your local REC.) Your fingerprints will be forwarded to the F.B.I. for verification of the information reported on your application. A record of all arrests and convictions will be returned. If you have a criminal record and fail to reveal it on your application, you may be subject to criminal penalty. In addition, your MMD may be rendered null and void and you will be required to surrender it to the Coast Guard or you may be charged to appear at a formal hearing before a Coast Guard Administrative Law Judge. A criminal record does not necessarily mean that you will be denied, but a falsified application is automatic grounds for denial.

read more about what i posted at this link. http://www.uscg.mil/STCW/ldcr-mmdinfo.htm