Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 2nd, 2008, 03:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to ara0926
Default Career Change...Thinking of a life onboard

Due to the financial institution that I work for being bought out by another financial institution earlier this week, I will most likely be out of a job by the end of the year. Facing this dilema I realized this is a great opportunity for a new adventure in my life.

After my 1st cruise 2 years ago, I felt like I had missed out on the amazing opportunity of life at sea. However with a stable job and a mortgage it seems somewhat irresponsible for me to put that all behind me and change gears. Now with the job part going away it seems foolish not to at least apply for jobs onboard.

I just turned 30 a few days ago. My degree is Broadcast Journalism, and I have been an administrative assistant for the last 7 years. I am very outgoing and love organizing events and being a social coordinator. I can be in front of a crowd (I am also a singer) but I also have a very administrative side. I would love to be part of the Social Staff/CD staff in whatever roll they will have me.

I have only cruised on Carnival however as I have been thinking through my options, Princess and HAL seem to be a better fit for employment (for me and what I am looking for). What are your experiences with these 2 lines? Are they responsive? Are the employee age demographics different than they would be for say Carnival?

Any advise is appreciated! I hope to start the process very soon since I am not sure how much longer I will have my job!

Take Care
Ashley
Carnival Glory 2010 St. John NB Canada
Carnival Legend 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Spirit 2009 Alaska
Carnival Splendor 2008 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Sensation 2008 Nassau
Carnival Inspiration 2008 Cozumel
Carnival Glory 2007 Western Caribbean
Elation 2006 Eastern Caribbean
Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2008, 06:20 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

30 is certainly an appropriate age for a social hostess. I wouldn't think about being an entertainer unless you already do it professionally. The entertainment is high-caliber.

But the attributes you describe are certainly good for a cruise staff position; social hostess, assistant cruise director, etc.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 01:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to ara0926

Well it looks like things have changed again and the WB is now looking at a merger w/ Wells as opposed to the Buyout by Citi. Got to love the economy!

Good for the Bank...bad for my Cruise ship dreams! I could not bear to leave a job I really enjoy on my own. Though if I my job ever ceases to exist a job onboard is my 1st choice!

Thanks for your advice Paul!
Carnival Glory 2010 St. John NB Canada
Carnival Legend 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Spirit 2009 Alaska
Carnival Splendor 2008 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Sensation 2008 Nassau
Carnival Inspiration 2008 Cozumel
Carnival Glory 2007 Western Caribbean
Elation 2006 Eastern Caribbean