Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 14th, 2008, 01:35 PM
david30101

Default Picture taking discrimination

I posted this here to allow more crew to notice then in the "gripe" section..Why is it that the photograher that walks around the upper pool and sunning decks asking for pictures will gladly take them of women wearing skimpy or 2 peice bikinis all around me, but when they walk by me to which im wearing a speedo they act like im not there? Im a paying passenger..Im fit and look good in a speedo and it dosent show any more skin then any of the girls and women I see on the ship. Im been on about 17 cruises and yet I havent asked for my pic taken..Not that it really matters..But ive noticed a "trend" of discrimination..
Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Perhaps the photographer in question is either a hetrasexual male, or lesbian female.
Old October 14th, 2008, 04:54 PM
david30101

That shoudnt matter..They have a job to do..They get paid to take pictures..The bar staff either male or female dont have a problem selling me drinks with me dressed the same way..Ive noticed this mostly happens on carnival ships. Why does it have to do with being gay? Thats whats screwed about todays "prude" USA society..Whenever a guy wants to dress in something more comfortable for the situation it becomes a gay thing. Are women considered gay lesbeans because they wear pants and boxers instead of traditional womans clothing? Double standard. I see where this is going........... BTW Any of you crew that take pics around the ship..If your on the Independance of the Seas the week of Thanksgiving....Ill be on deck in my speedo..Dont worry..I wont be offended if you dont want to take my pic..I DO LIKE WOMEN.
Old October 16th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by david30101
That shoudnt matter..They have a job to do..They get paid to take pictures..The bar staff either male or female dont have a problem selling me drinks with me dressed the same way..
Did you ask the photographer to photograph you? Did he refuse?

I could be getting the wrong end of the stick here, I would assume that you choose to approach the bar staff to arrange a business transaction ( namely the purchase of drink ). You could have also chosen to approach the photographer, or is he responsable to approach everyone on the ship?

I'm not sure what the role of this photographer was, whether he was taking photographs to sell to the subject, for advertising, or for his own private collection, but personally I would perfer to take photos of beautiful scantly clad women, than I would any man, regardless of his dress or physique.

Quote:
Ive noticed this mostly happens on carnival ships. Why does it have to do with being gay? Thats whats screwed about todays "prude" USA society..
I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

Do you suspect the photographer was gay ( and therefore focusing on women ).

I'm not sure what USA society has to do with it either - you didn't say where you, or the photographer were from, and I'm European.

Quote:
Whenever a guy wants to dress in something more comfortable for the situation it becomes a gay thing. Are women considered gay lesbeans because they wear pants and boxers instead of traditional womans clothing? Double standard. I see where this is going...........
Do you smoke?

Quote:
BTW Any of you crew that take pics around the ship..If your on the Independance of the Seas the week of Thanksgiving....Ill be on deck in my speedo..Dont worry..I wont be offended if you dont want to take my pic..I DO LIKE WOMEN.
Good for you - maybe the photographers like women too.
Old October 16th, 2008, 06:18 PM
david30101

I see you havent taken many cruises expecially with Carnival. First off..If you see my aviator pic and info to the left, that will tell you where im from. USA in state of Georgia, 2nd. No arrangements were made..On most cruise ships including Carnival, you can be lounging anywhere up on deck, around the pool, etc. The staff such as bar and phtographers walk around and ask varoius passengers if they want drinks or pics taken. In my case with the photographers, they will stop at every other person sitting around me and ask for there pic taken, when they get to me they walk right by like im not there. Why? Because im wearing a speedo. 3rd. the reason I brought up "gay" is that in "my country" any guy wearing a speedo or other clothing thats shows off the male body is in "most americans" mind considered gay and indecent for our society. Im not here to bash anybody, I have no problems with gays, I have gay friends, afterall, im comfortable around them since they wear the same type clothes i wear in some cases so i dont feel like a oddball. I dont like wearing shorts that go past the knees. Speedos are more comfortable. But since your from Europe, you dont have a problem with society bashing speedos since that is a common peice of swim clothing where your from and not from where Im from. Spend some time looking up a few gay cruises (Atlantis for example),that show pictures you will notice that on those ads some of the guys are wearing speedos, Now look up the a normal cruise and you will see the pictures of guys wearing traditional shorts or boardshorts. Because those ads are published in the USA and the USA thinks that only gay guys wear speedos so thats what makes them not popular in "my country" . Thats why I call the USA a "prude society". Go ahead, look up some gay vacation ads and compare them to traditional vacation ads and you will know what im talking about. Im tempted to book a gay cruise somday, just so im not the only one wearing a speedo on a ship and treated differnt or ignored. They used to be popular along with short shorts in the USA during the 70s when I was growing up. If your much younger then me, then you wont ever know. Watch a few movies from the 70s, "meatballs" for example.
Old October 17th, 2008, 02:42 AM
david30101

This topic may of got out of hand. Sorry if it did. I was only trying to get my point across and was directed towards CREW or somebody that does Photograhy on ships. If your not one of those I E regular passengers then please dont answer. I probably wont get a real answer since nobody really wants to give a real answer.
Old October 18th, 2008, 02:12 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

In some ways I agree with you. I sometimes travel as a solo without my cruising friends......and there are times I feel invisible. Especially when it comes to formal pictures in the dining room. They will take pics of the couples at the tables, but if someone is sitting by themselves, they ignore you and don't even ask (even if you are at a large table with other people). Or, if you are a table of all women (friends leaving family, hubbies and all cares behind), they will skip you too except for an occasional group pic. I knew on our last chicks cruise, we all would have loved a pic of each of us at our table in a solo shot......but even when we asked, we were ignored. So, I think there is some discrimination against single/solo travelers.
Old October 18th, 2008, 02:26 AM
david30101

Yea, I havent had any problems at the table during dinner. Im single sitting with my family, its just me. So they go ahead and ask. If it was several of us solo at table, it may be another story.
Ive only had "issues" while sitting around the deck in a swimsuit.
Old December 1st, 2008, 07:23 PM
Passenger

Default photo discrimination

i know this is a little later than your original post, but i don't there's any intentional discrimination. the trend has been noticed that women are more likely to having a solo photo taken. and as for the speedos, i doubt that has anything to do with it, as about 40% of carnival photographers are european and our men here wear speedos, wether we like it or not!!! did you ask for a photo? i know you shouldn't have to request it, but men are usually harder to approach to ask if the want there photo taken, women are usually more flattered.
Old December 14th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Passenger

Who wants to look at picture of a guy alone. Girls are more fun too look at. Whis is your point goto the complaint dept I am sure they will take some action
Old December 14th, 2008, 07:02 PM
david30101

Quote:
Originally Posted by motay
Who wants to look at picture of a guy alone. Girls are more fun too look at. Whis is your point goto the complaint dept I am sure they will take some action
Funny..This aint going nowhere....Its not that "women are better to look at"..Maybie I wanted a pic of me taken on deck for my girlfriend back home..Ever thought of that? The picture would be for ME..Not for other passengers or crew to enjoy. Kinda hard when your alone to get your pic taken when there are people on board that has a job that does that. Normally I dont bother with pics, only wanted to get other opinions on this topic. I just got off a ship with 3500 passnengers and i guess I was the only one wearing a speedo.
Old February 5th, 2010, 03:44 AM
Passenger

Hi
I can understand your point. However, i do think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill!!!

I was a purser for 4 years on CCL and put up with a LOT of complaints about the photographers. Which was hard, as for 3 years, i was dating one!!!!

In that time i had a lot of MALE passengers complaining that photographers were taking pics of them and they found it uncomfortable to have pics taken of them by men....

I guess its not about the photographers being rude, or discriminating. i think they just don't want the complaints...

Its an awkward enough job anyway, having to go take pics of people whilsy they're trying to relax, but then to have men have a go at them for taking pics of them....

i have to admit, i recon any male would feel weird about going up to a bloke on his own and taking a picture of him?? surely you understand this...
where as a women, it really is completley different

CHILL OUT AND ASK FOR A PHOTO IF YOU WANT ONE !!
Old April 23rd, 2010, 08:11 PM
Captain

David,

You must have noticed that the ship's social hostess always invites good looking women to sit at the Captain's table for dinner. In fact, the 2 best looking ones are seated on either side of the Captain.

Do you think this is discrimination?

Absolutely.

Whenever I visit a singles bar, I spend far more time, money, and attention talking to the females in the bar.

Is this discrimination?

Absolutely.

Most restaurants hire more females than males as hosts at the door.

Is this discrimination?

You can bet on it.

The Dallas Cowboys have plenty of female Cheerleaders, but no males.

Is this discrimination?

Does anybody care?