I recently got hired to work on the Cruise Directors Staff for Celebrity, and I know this is a very broad question, but does anyone have any advice? Needless to say, I'm a little nervous, and would love to hear any words of wisdom from people in the industry
I've never worked for Celebrity in particular, but I am an entertainment manager on another line and I would give the below advice:
1) Be ON TIME to all your scheduled events and activities! Five minutes before the event is supposed to begin, the guests start calling the desk looking for you, and they call your supervisors asking where you are.
2) Watch your drinking and partying. For cruise staff especially this can get out of control really quickly, and I bet you meet someone on your ship who has been fired from another line for bad behavior of this sort.
3) Be careful who you hook up with (see #2). Even with crew, their girlfriend/boyfriend/spouse may be coming on soon and you don't need that kind of awkwardness in your life.
4) Take full advantage of all excursions and privileges that you can get!! Cruise staff is an amazingly privileged position. You can go to the shows, eat at nice restaurants, see the ports and even go on excursions for cheap or free. DO this while you can and remember how incredibly lucky you are to have the opportunity.
5) DON'T disrespect the international crew. Many of them are working on ships for very serious reasons like supporting their families or paying for kids' college, etc. Plus, if you piss one off, word will spread quickly and suddenly you will not be able to get a drink, or fresh towels or toilet paper, and you will likely be on the "random alcohol/drug test" list a lot more often than you like. Adding to this, a little respect and friendliness can go a long way, no matter who you're talking to onboard.
I hope you have a great time onboard, welcome to the ship life! :-)