Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Admiral

From best to worst.
Princess
Carnival
Celebrity
I don't know if we had a bad cruise, but the Celebrity Infinity had the worst food I have had on a cruise ship. It also had the best dining room service I had on a cruise ship (go figure).

Before anyone flames me about being a fast food eater and not knowing good food. I'm from California and have eaten different types of food: Chinese, Thai, Hawaiian, Portuguese (San Jose has an excellent restuarant), Mexican, Italian, Japanese etc. I'm not afraid to try new foods, I love to cook and bake. It is possible Celebrity had a bad week. I just don't understand how the seafood could be that bad on an Alaskan cruise.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 12th, 2009, 03:09 PM
First Mate

probably because it didn't come from alaska, had been frozen for some time, and thawed. like those wonderful pineapples you get on hawaii-bound ships; most likely from costa rica. true in lots of mainland restaurants located at beautiful shore places -- sad, but more money is made shipping this stuff all around than by getting it from locals. it is more 'romantic' to think the food came from the local bay, but that is often not the case.
Old January 25th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Admiral

Worst............................................. ... NCL & Costa
Best.............................................. ..... H.A.L., Celebrity, & Princess
(Vary by ship which of these three are better)

We have not cruised on the higher end lines to date.
Old June 24th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Beginner

1. HAL
2 & 3 tied Princess and Celebrity
4. RCCL
5. Carnival
6. NCL
Old July 11th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Passenger

I love food. It's the main reason that I travel, to sample other cultures. On ship, I definitely try a broad range of foods and flavors. Only food I don't like is ketchup weird, I know.

That being stated, Celebrity is my cruiseline of choice purely for the food. Belgium waffle station every morning is the highlight! Next comes the Carnival menus. Mostly consistent with meats. Last trip we had perfectly cooked steaks and prime rib! Amazing when you consider how many are eating and at our table we ranged from med-rare to well done (personally, why bother on the latter). All chilled soups and the Fr Onion and Wild mushroom soups are Awesome. OMG Don't miss out on the chocolate melting cake, either. NCL, Costa and HAL .... I didn't go hungry nor miss a meal, but can't really remember anything outstanding or significant comparatively.
On most of the buffets, the indian food is tasty at lunch.

All that being listed, there's always the ice cream, pizza and burgers to tide you over til the next graze.

Can't go wrong with cruisin'
CCL Holiday '09 NCL Inspiration '07 CCL Freedom '07 NCL Jewel '07 CCL Triumph '06 Costa Mediterranea '06 Celebrity Mercury '05 CCL Conquest '05 NCL Dream '05 CCL Sensation '04 HAL Statendam '03 Celebrity Horizon '03 CCL Inspiration '02 NCL Star '02 CCL Fascination '02 NCL Sea '01
Old March 22nd, 2010, 03:32 PM
Admiral

In this order of the 7 lines I have cruised: HAL, Celebrity, Canrival, Princess, NCL, Disney, and RCI. The last 3 do have great specialty restaurants though, so if you don't mind paying extra, you can still get a gourmet meal.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014
Old March 31st, 2010, 11:05 PM
Admiral

Personally, my favorite thing on the Conquest was the cheeseburgers! The fries were awful, though. Go figure. All that wonderful food and I went for the cheeseburgers!
Old March 31st, 2010, 11:14 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
In my last five cruises the food has to be rated as: This is in a three year period.

1. Celebrity
2. Carnival Legend
3. NCL
4. Royal Caribbean

Celebrity wins because of overall consistency from buffet, dining room, specialty restaurant to room service.

Carnival was only Carnival Legend but their dining room was equal to Celebrity and their buffet was the best I've seen.

NCL food on my last cruise was overall very good with just a couple of mediocre items.

On Voyager and Serenade the food was good but little was excellent and a number of things were mediocre to poor and I sent a number of things back. I haven't sent that many things back on any other cruise line.

Take care,
Mike
The above post was from 2005 and sadly Royal Caribbean has remained in last place. I've sailed them twice since then and both times the food was; under/overcooked, tough meat, cold things warm, hot things cold and generally poor. I really can't understand why Royal Caribbean would spend so much on beautiful ships with great venues and let the food slide and continue to do so.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 1st, 2010, 08:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moiraine View Post
Personally, my favorite thing on the Conquest was the cheeseburgers! The fries were awful, though. Go figure. All that wonderful food and I went for the cheeseburgers!
You're not alone! One of my favorite's is a good cheeseburger. Since our next cruise is on the Conquest it's good to hear that they have a good "chee-burger" .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old April 6th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Admiral

But the fries are terrible.
Old May 20th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Admiral

I think when comparing the cruiselines food the specialty pay restaurants shouldn't be included. If the specialty restaurant is the only place that food is good that is a scam to get you spending more money.

On the Celebrity cruise we ate at specialty restaurant and the food was really excellent. The Rum Raisin ice cream and pizza was also excellent.

However, most of the dining room food was bad with a captial B. If you wanted good food on the Infinity you had to spend $30 per person to eat at the specialty restaurant. That is just wrong.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 20th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
I think when comparing the cruiselines food the specialty pay restaurants shouldn't be included. If the specialty restaurant is the only place that food is good that is a scam to get you spending more money.

On the Celebrity cruise we ate at specialty restaurant and the food was really excellent. The Rum Raisin ice cream and pizza was also excellent.

However, most of the dining room food was bad with a captial B. If you wanted good food on the Infinity you had to spend $30 per person to eat at the specialty restaurant. That is just wrong.
I think HAL is top (the main dining room is almost as good as the specialty, on formal nights it was as good,it just did not have the ambiance of the specialty) but my two Celebrity cruises, Celebrity came in second, as far as food. The Zenith had no specialty restaurant, but I found their porterhouse steak they served on formal night every bit as good as the fillet Mignon I had on RCI Mariner of the Seas in Chops 4 months earlier. Celebrity Constellation did have a specialty restuarant, but I found it was also only slightly better than the regualr dining room. Now, the ambiance was really good, I really enjoyed the harpist, but for the food, I was just as happy in the main dining room.

Now Carnival and Princess both had good food, I would say they tie for 3rd place, except one of my Carnival cruises the food was not good, however, the other 3 had very good food.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old May 20th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Admiral

Food can be tricky. I have only cruised Celebrity once so maybe I got unlucky. Also I have read many positive reviews about Celebrity's food before I went on the cruise so I might have expected to much. A lot of people run down Carnival's food. All of my five Carnival cruises the food was better then the one Celebrity cruise. How to you overcook prime rib it is a nice fatty moist piece of meat. My Prime rib on Celebrity was shoe leather. I haven't tried HAL yet. They have some very interesting Sea of Cortez cruises. Food is a highlight for me so it's good to hear positive things about HAL's food.

Since I just got off the Carnival Splendor on 5/9/10 I haven't been looking at a new cruise. We normally cruise every year. But with the economy it has switched to every two years. I did enjoy the food on Princess. I haven't cruised RCl since 1994 (my first cruise) I can't remember the food that much (honeymoon cruise). So I can't rate the food on RCL.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 21st, 2010, 09:22 AM
Admiral

Katlady, Carnival's food beats out RCI, NCL, and Disney, at least that has been my experience. I have never been to a supper club on Carnival. Only one ship I cruised had this, the Miracle, and she was brand new and the supper club was sold out before we could book it.

We do have a little 4 day in December. We are hoping to book a med cruise for next year, but we have not done this yet.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old August 14th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Admiral

I've only cruised on Carnival and Costa. I enjoyed both, Costa had a pasta choice each night on the menu which was great being Italian I enjoyed it. The supper Club on Carnival was by far one of the best meals I've eaten, it was on the Carnival Glory not sure if that makes a difference or not. Worth a trip and the extra money, save it for the last day of the cruise or you will be so spoiled the normal food will seem bland by comparison!
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old November 9th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Beginner

Red face Mushroom Soup on Royal Caribbean

Does anyone have the recipe for Mushroom Soup served on Monarch of the Seas?
Old November 11th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Familiar Face

Default Best or Worst Food

We were on the Carnival Liberty last February, Service was excellent, Ports were great but the food was terrible.

Wouldn't do Carnival again.

SSD
Old November 12th, 2010, 02:36 AM
Admiral

Oh, the chocolate melting cake Carnival serves. Umm. Yummy!
Old January 25th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Familiar Face

Default Best food

The parameters of "great food" now have to include quantity of choice, speed of delivery in the options AND quality delivered. At one point, the MDR for Celebrity paced it ahead of everyone but Princess. Then they added Cova, and the AquaSpa buffet, and the Olympic style ppm choices and they maintained their food advantage.

Nowadays I really don't see the difference. HAL on Eurodam has seven different places to enjoy dinner, with no assigned seating and no downdraft in order to get that and I'm hoping their "Le Cirque" night rivals anything I've had at sea. Tamarind is $15, the steakhouse $20 and the other options are free. Carnival's MDR on my last trip was outstanding. Every other cruise line targeted Celebrity's competitive advantage and I think basically neutralized it.

Bottom line, if I had to choose for today's food:
MDR: Carnival
Speciality, top of the line: Celebrity
Speciality, inexpensive options: HAL
Healthy dining: Celebrity
Lido: Carnival
Evening Chocolate Buffet: HAL
Overall enjoyment of food: I'm going with HAL

*never enjoyed Princess line, and never been on luxe liners.
Old February 27th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Welcome Newcomer

We are not picky. they have so many different choices on cruises now a days it would be hard not to find something you like. Me, I am just grateful I don't have to cook or clean for a week.
Old April 15th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

We have 51 cruises on many different lines. In alternative restaurants I'd rate Carnival's Steakhouse as the very best on the seas. But I'd barely bother to order a beef dish in their MDR.
In RCL's MDR, I wouldn't even try another beef dish.
But I can always find something enjoyable to eat. I have a wide ranging and adventurous palate.

I found Cunard food to be excellent, but that was one cruise.

HAL one cruise the food was good, not remarkable, another cruise, after 3 nights we never went to the MDR again as it was consistently BAD.

Princess, ALL of our Princess cruises have been longer cruises and Americans were in a definite minority. So the food was 'different' Some day we'll take a Princess Caribbean cruise filled with other Americans and then we'll have an idea of their food on American sailings.

Basically rating a cruiseline on the food of one cruise on one ship is probably making a mistake.

And while I'd never again order any beef dish on RCL, I've never gone hungry on them or any other cruise or line.

We ALWAYS dine locally while in port. Adds to the 'adventure.'
Old June 30th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Familiar Face

I found that HAL was better than RCCL but the portions were very small. I liked the food on RCCL and did not like the food on Carnival.

I guess if everyone had the same taste, we would only need one cruiseline.
Old July 18th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Familiar Face

Though Carnival is my least favorite cruise line, I love their food! As a vegetarian, I probably rank the food differently than carnivores because I'm judging based on different factors. NCL Pearl and Epic have had the best veggie choices IMHO. My list looks like this:
  1. NCL
  2. Carnival
  3. Celebrity
  4. Princess
  5. RCCL
What's funny is that I love RCCL and Princess, but when it comes to food, they're toward the bottom of my list. Weird.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 02:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Wink Hard Question, Different Ships=Different Results

The problem is that there are different standards depending on the ships themselves and the venue chosen. Here on some random thoughts on my past experiences; in order from best to worst.

#1 Disney Magic. Outstanding presentation and the overall highest quality of any line I have been on. All venues were top quality, including room services & Palo for brunch. I liked the main dining room so much, that I was not able to try on other place at night.

#2 RCCL Vision & Adventure of the Seas. Both ships were outstanding in every way. Dining was one of the key highpoints of these great ships.

#3 Carnival Victory. While the ship was quite ugly and the pink dining room was horrendous: the food including room service was a cut above the others. It was a surprise for me; that a line with such tacky ships, can do relatively well in the food department.

#4 RCCL Enchantment of the Seas. Basically both food and staff were just above the mediocre mark, throughout the 8 night voyage. They really could have tried harder and been better. The Pay option Steakhouse; was truly a sad experience in all aspects.

#5 NCL Epic. The non-pay options were quite limited with both Taste & the Manhattan Room having the same set menu (both places had the same menu), that never changed or rotated. Pay options (Cagney's was outstanding!!) highly priced for what you got, what you would pay in Orlando.

#6 Celebrity Century. Grand presentations of small portioned food that was medeocer. Once grand experience that seemed diminished; though the brunch buffet (& room service) were the exceptions. The Specialty dining option; the Murono, was among the best dining in my Lifetime!!

#7 RCCL Monarch of the Seas. Like the Century, the buffet was the only reasonable dining experience aboard. The portions were so small in the main dining room that most people ordered two of every course. The the Indian section on the buffet was quite good.

#8 MSC Posea. What a shame, a most beautiful ship: with outstanding specialty dining (both the Japanese & Italian, were the best I have had on any ship) and great free ice-cream & pay gelato. However, it ends there sadly; with a gorgeous dining room and Buffet (which is the most attractive at sea. Unfortunately there is little food on the buffet (called the cafeteria) and the food in the main dining room is of a sad "European" standard. It is sad, but the food is an absolute deal breaker for this classic line!!

Its really odd, on RCCL there can be the same fleet wide menu; with completly different results depending on the ship. While one Holiday Inn should be the same as another, world wide; this is not the same at RCCL, in the food department. Even little things like ice cream which can for flavorless, (with no suger seemingly added) on the Monarch; can be outstanding on the Vision from Brazil. I guess the provisions are quite different based on region!

Last edited by gkbii; July 22nd, 2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old November 7th, 2011, 06:56 PM
First Mate

Default Carnival & Celebrity

While still something of a novice cruiser compared to many here, this is what I have found:

Just back from Carnival Triumph on 11/3/2011
Main dining room - Food was sometimes above average, sometimes inedible. Can't go wrong with the fish dishes or lobster on lobster night. Shrimp cocktail and panko breaded shrimp is also good. Only yucky fish is the fried..Best dessert I ever had was here - the "diet" Bosc pear soaked in wine. TO DIE FOR! Everyone at the table gobbled one down after they saw mine!!

South Beach Buffet Line (Lido Deck)
- mostly disappointing. Again, can't go wrong with the fish though. Fish was always delicious, potato salad always good. Fresh salad every night and fresh melons/fruits always good. Meatloaf was best I ever ate!! Pureed yams - good but not great. Oriental glass noodles..AWESOME! Avoid all other red meats as they are as tough as leather!! Cornbread dressing tasted like glue. Anything with crab in it was gross and tasted old. Bread always tasted day old, bland..on the hard side. Desserts were always delicious!! Even the diet desserts!!

Pizza Place - Just tried the Chevre Cheese, sausage and mushroom pizza and it was quite bland..soft crust..blah. Give it a generous 3 out of 5.

Room Service - My favorite here was all vegan..Which is odd because I'm not a vegan. The Foccocia bread sandwich filled with portabella mushroom, sliced fresh mozzarella, baked zucchini and light pesto sauce was a dream!! Nothing Quiznos or Subway offers could ever come close to this explosion of flavor in your mouth! On the side: veggie sticks with blue cheese dressing and fresh fruit bowl (mostly melon). Room service offers all sandwiches (hot and cold) as well as desserts, a couple of salads, tea, coffee and that's pretty much it.

Celebrity Century - This cruise was some time back but I do recall the food was a slight step up from Carnival, however..The service was an abomination..I DO remember how we were treated. The presentation is excellent, but overall, the food is still on the bland side. Also, our entrees took forever to receive each night in the main dining room. You could count on dinner taking a full 2 hours. The slight step up in food quality is not worth it for the 10 steps down in service you take (Carnival Triumph was 10 steps up in service in my opinion).
Old November 8th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Admiral

Overall, I have to rate HAL the highest. Carnival a close second. Haven't sailed on RCCL in years, so can't even remember the food. I can remember others, though, so it must not have been particularly good or bad, since I sailed them multiple times. Worst food I ever had was on Princess. Swore I take my own peanut butter if I ever sailed on them again. Which we haven't. Sad, in a way, since I know that it was probably a fluke (worst cruise overall, too), but not willing to gamble my vacation budget to find out. NCL is good in general, but the desserts are all fluff to my palate. Keeps me from gaining too much weight, though.
Marty
Old March 20th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Familiar Face

I'm going on the Celebrity Eclipse and look forward to the food especially after some posters have said it was one of their favorites for meals