Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 4th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Passenger

Default Don't like "gourmet" food

We are going on our 2nd cruise in a couple of weeks. One issue we had on our first cruise was that we really don't care for "gourmet" food. We really are meat and potatoes types and don't care for all the unusual food combinations they served on the ship. Nothing wrong with that, everyone just has different tastes and part of the enjoyment of the cruise is food choices that are enjoyable for you. We had our kids with us last time, so we spent a lot of time eating in the informal restaurants. This time we are going by ourselves and we want to enjoy the formal atmosphere of the main dining rooms.

We had been assured that we could order items alacarte like just a steak or some lobster, but the couple of times we tried to do that, we were told that we had to go to the steakhouse ($$$) to get a steak, and that they only served lobster on certain nights, so we were quite disappointed with that. So instead, we made do with the menu choices and I actually ended up getting sick the last couple of days of the cruise, I believe from some half-raw quail eggs that were in a soup.

Maybe that's just an NCL thing, so we're hoping to have a better experience with Carnival. I have to say, we didn't care much for the Freestyle set up, so that was a big factor in the choice to switch to Carnival.

Thanks!

Adrian

Carnival Triumph 2/16/08
Sponsored Links
Old February 4th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Almost every cruise line has "Always Available" that are available, each night, for dinner. These dishes are usually, steak, salmon and other standard dining options.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 5th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Admiral

Carnival has alternate menu items available in the dining room every night. Steak, Burger, and sometimes BBQ Ribs. Lobster is normally served only on formal night. Don't hesitate to order two entre items if you see more than one thing you might like. Certainly don't eat anything you don't like. The dining staff wants you to enjoy your food. They will be glad to take it back and bring something else.
Whatever else you do try the chocolate melting cake.
54 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle, Breeze, Sunshine X2
6 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old February 18th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Admiral

What Mike and scurveydog says is certainly true with respect to Holland and Princess as well.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old February 18th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Passenger

You can go to Carnival's site, to the FAQ's and under Dining Options and Seating Assignments, you can find sample menus, including the Alternates.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/FAQLanding.aspx
Old February 24th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Passenger

Sorry for the delay in responding, but we literally just got back home last night! I was delightfully surprised by the menu on the ship. It was very nice and not as "gourmet" as the food on Norweigan was. I think I only resorted to the "alternative" menu maybe twice.

I think what I don't like about "gourmet" food are the unusual combinations - raspberry walnut viniagrette for example, or chipotle lime mayo, things like that. There really wasn't a lot of that on the menu and that was a big relief to me. And I like the traditional seating much better than the Freestyle concept. We had a very nice table and everyone showed up for dinner every night and stayed there talking and eating for about two hours. Much nicer!

PS: On your recommendation, I tried the Chocolate Melting Cake - oh my gosh! I don't think I've ever had something so delicious!
Old February 24th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentil
PS: On your recommendation, I tried the Chocolate Melting Cake - oh my gosh! I don't think I've ever had something so delicious!
I knew you would like that!!!!!!!!
54 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle, Breeze, Sunshine X2
6 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old February 24th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Admiral

"And I like the traditional seating much better than the Freestyle concept. We had a very nice table and everyone showed up for dinner every night and stayed there talking and eating for about two hours. Much nicer! "

Now you're talkin!! You are now a veteran cruiser!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old February 25th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Admiral

Carnival has an alternative menu item listing at the bottom of the right side of the menu. It always has New York Sirloin on it.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 04:47 PM
First Mate

To echo Mehawk...... on RCI we had a tablemate who was a "meat and potatoes" guy and he was able to order steak every night. There was always some kind of potato dish on the menu so he was a happy camper.
Old April 9th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to bbozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScurvyDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentil
I knew you would like that!!!!!!!!
by the end of my last cruise i didnt even have to ask for dessert.....they just brought me the chocolate melting cake
Old April 9th, 2009, 04:45 PM
First Mate

You can always ask for your items to be served plain. And you can always ask for the kids menu, too.

On Princess I regularly ask for the cheese cake minus the coulis. Just plain ol' cheesecake, thank you. Never had a problem with the waiter either. They are always glad to oblige.

The always available menu also usually has chicken and steak on it and if you want, you can ask the maitre d' to see the next days menu and ask to order something on the menu prepared without sauces.