Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 3rd, 2008, 12:43 PM
Passenger

Default Less is more?

Got into an academic discussion with a couple of friends of mine (one who used to work entertainment for Carnival) about how much the passenger load affects the quality of the food served.

My friend who's sailed Carnival a few time said she thinks the food is actually better with a reasonably full ship. She thinks its because the cruise line has more invested in the ship and wouldn't want a large number of passengers dissatified.

I say that doesn't make any sense. If a ship is less full then it means (a) the kitchen can focus on quality rather than quantity and (b) better quality food would encourage travelers to sail during off peak times. Admittedly I am going on my first cruise this weekend and have little practical experiance.

We of course turned to my friend who worked on Carnival and he of course said it all tasted the same after awhile (). He said that he felt the performers did better when the ship was more full, but that just tends to be the nature of live entertainment (bigger audience = better energy = better show)

So I'm asking the well traveled crew here, either of us right?
Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2008, 05:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I agree with your friend, I think a full ship may have better food. At least the food inventory would turn over faster.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old December 7th, 2008, 03:21 PM
First Mate

mass market cruise lines, like carnival, have average banquet food at best. no matter how many line up at the trough. don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed. it is those who munch daily on fast food who are often dissatisfied; they don't get greasy pizza and cheese steaks in the dining room, and they complain -- can't they have mickey d's on this ship? believe me, this happens; check out this web site under ncl, carnival, and rccl - the mcdonald's theme parks of cruises.
Old January 10th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Passenger

That seems reasonable. A few years ago my sister, mother and I took a transatlantic and it was only half full. The food was very sub-par.