CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Cuisine (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-cuisine/)
-   -   Favorite Cruise Food Ever! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-cuisine/383817-favorite-cruise-food-ever.html)

KayAnnie July 19th, 2011 11:31 PM

Favorite Cruise Food Ever!

What is your favorite food item you have ever eaten on a cruise?

Mine would have to be this amazing lamb I had on the Disney Magic. I reordered it, and they brought my friend and I just extra lamb. We were in heaven and ate it all! I swear, I don't know how much I could have actually eaten had I skipped dessert.

Mike M July 20th, 2011 07:41 AM

Of all the cruises and all the wonderful food I've had the ones that stand out in my mind are:

NCL Lamb Shanks on Norwegian Sky.
Tornadoes of beef on Celebrity Mercury.

Take care,
Mike

LisaK July 20th, 2011 10:25 AM

the first thing that immediately comes to mind are the individual dessert souffles on Princess, to die for.

Queen of Oakville July 21st, 2011 10:28 AM

One of the best soups I've ever had was a Ciopino on a Princess sailing years ago.

I still remember how great it tasted. I wished I had ordered a second.

Queen of Oakville July 21st, 2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KayAnnie (Post 1382360)
What is your favorite food item you have ever eaten on a cruise?

Mine would have to be this amazing lamb I had on the Disney Magic. I reordered it, and they brought my friend and I just extra lamb. We were in heaven and ate it all! I swear, I don't know how much I could have actually eaten had I skipped dessert.

tell me more about this lamb dish .... I will have to try it when we are on Disney Dream in a few months!

I'm not a huge fan of lamb, save for this lamb curry with lentils that my mom makes. On GOTS, the lady beside me ordered a braised lamb shank, that looked AMAZING and smelled amazing. I literally wanted to ask this stranger ifI could try a bite. I was resolved to finally try lamb. On our next cruise (eurodam); I ordered the braised lamb shank ... it was terrible; dry and not flavourable. I'm looking forward to being on FOTS and trying their lamb shank.

KayAnnie July 21st, 2011 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville (Post 1382590)
tell me more about this lamb dish .... I will have to try it when we are on Disney Dream in a few months!

I'm not a huge fan of lamb, save for this lamb curry with lentils that my mom makes. On GOTS, the lady beside me ordered a braised lamb shank, that looked AMAZING and smelled amazing. I literally wanted to ask this stranger ifI could try a bite. I was resolved to finally try lamb. On our next cruise (eurodam); I ordered the braised lamb shank ... it was terrible; dry and not flavourable. I'm looking forward to being on FOTS and trying their lamb shank.

It was lamb chops, and it was on Lumiere's menu. The Dream has something similar on the menu for the Royal Palace. Not sure if it is the same. Something about the seasoning was just addicting.

Trip July 21st, 2011 02:20 PM

Sadly, I don't remember anything imparticular, that was so fabulous, but, I have enjoyed so many delicious dishes over the years. One thing I do look forward to is, creme brule & key lime pie.

KDGodwin October 14th, 2011 06:22 AM

Out of the 5 cruises I've been on, I've eaten many great meals! The one that really stood out to me, oddly enough, was a vegetarian butternut squash pot pie. It wasn't much to look at, but the flavor was AMAZING! Wish I could recreate it at home... :cry:

All my previous cruises were Carnival. Booked on a Princess cruise next year, and was told the food is a step up. Can't wait!

Manuel October 14th, 2011 06:25 AM

I have always enjoyed the lamb shanks on Celebrity ships.

With creme brulee for desert.

TM

fun2cruiz October 14th, 2011 07:14 PM

While lamb is fabulous....it doesnt hold a chance against CCL's MEATLOAF now being served in the dining room ! :shock::rolleyes::D:-?

colorcrazie October 15th, 2011 03:04 PM

On one cruise, HAL offered what they called a "simple" dish. Supposedly a recipe based on various cultures' local cuisine. I ordered a lamb shank that had been cooked in white beans and then served over garlic mashed potatoes. Looked very bland, but the lamb fell off the bone and the seasonings made an awesome combination.
I also love Carnival's Basa. For those not familiar with it, basa is a type of fish and their chef won some kind of culinary award with this dish. Offered it the same night as the lobster/shrimp combo and I ordered both. Shared some of the basa with those who wanted a taste, but I preferred it to the lobster. A real first for me!
Okay, drooling now. Oh, and I also love Carnival's marinated salmon appetizer.
Marty

Donna October 31st, 2011 08:30 AM

Recently I had a Vidalia onion tart on Royal Caribbean, very yummy!

Trip October 31st, 2011 08:33 AM

oh does that sound good!!!!

Lakers Fan October 31st, 2011 09:07 PM

banana cream pie

Marc November 3rd, 2011 08:59 PM

Definitely seared foie gras. It is so good, I ordered it five nights in a row on my last cruise.

NevilleJ March 20th, 2012 07:43 PM

Sounds like lamb is a popular choice for best dish. Is this because you don't normally eat lamb or because it's better than any you've had at restaurants. I'm looking forward to the seafood but I think I will enjoy a good steak. Does anyone cruise line have great steaks that would rival Ruth's or Morton's or other popular steak houses?

Donna March 20th, 2012 08:14 PM

I think for a really good steak is to try one of the alternative restaurants. While you will find OK steak in the MDR, the specialty ones have the better cuts of meat, may-be worth the extra price.

Trackypup March 20th, 2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc (Post 1399984)
Definitely seared foie gras. It is so good, I ordered it five nights in a row on my last cruise.

Now that is why you sail high end cruise lines. YUM

Manuel March 20th, 2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manuel (Post 1396937)

TM

I just to bring this out again. :-D :)

TM

snorklr45 March 21st, 2012 01:20 PM

The Poached Williams Pear (poached in red Wine)

Served with a small swirl of cream cheese.

served in MDR - Carnival

I was making such yummy noises that others at the table ordered it and not a tiny bit was left on any plate at the table. Beautiful presentation and even better to taste!

hotmama115 May 22nd, 2012 08:19 PM

im looking forward to eating seafood!!! since moving to NC two years ago from FL we are missing seafood. But fav that I can remember is the molten chocolate cake (sp), what can i say, i love dessert.

Manuel October 3rd, 2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manuel (Post 1396937)

TM

Since this was brought out again I will repeat my answer.

Those lamb shanks were to die for. :D :D :D

TM

Dave Beers October 3rd, 2012 02:30 PM

Lamb shank on Enchantment Of The Seas in June was perfectly cooked. It was really a triumph for a mainstream dining room.

cruise planner October 3rd, 2012 03:22 PM

Overall, I would have to say the food on Celebrity is the best of all the mass-market cruise lines. But as we all know, food is very subjective and what one person thinks is wonderful, another won't like at all.

However, the absolute most fantastic meal we've ever had on any ship has got to be the prime filet mignon and shrimp we had on the Paul Gauguin. The steak was so tender you could cut it with a fork and the shrimp was fresh, not frozen. The dessert was unbelievably decadent! The whole meal was to die for! And the best part about it, unlike all the mass-market cruise lines where you have to order something like this in a specialty restaurant for an additional fee, there was no charge for this magnificent meal. Plus, they served a superior wine that was also complimentary.

Pete

shycruiser June 14th, 2013 04:19 PM

i don't recall one particular favourite but what comes to my mind are all the different types of fish dishes each night. but i love fish so that might just be me.

and the pasta's which the head waiters saute in the dining room for all to see. the pasta, always served before the main entree, wasn't very large. as a table of four, we would just order a plate or two to share. just a tasting, really. they were just too good to pass up!

Surfguyxxx1 June 15th, 2013 04:55 AM

Donna, you are correct. The filet that I had at the Chops Grille on Royal Caribbean's Jewel was so tender it literally melted in your mouth. Perfectly seasoned, beautilfully seared and incredibly tender.

seadog2 June 15th, 2013 12:10 PM

While Royal Caribbean is my favorite cruiseline I have to say the most tasteful thing I've eaten was on the Carnival Glory. It was the bar-b-que Cornish Hen. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.