Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 1st, 2012, 08:29 AM
Admiral

... and wouldn't it be great if there was a Gap on board, and a Sun Glasses Hut, and when your feeling like getting frisky you could run down to Victoria's Secret. Why don't they float my local mall?

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old June 1st, 2012, 10:30 AM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
... and wouldn't it be great if there was a Gap on board, and a Sun Glasses Hut, and when your feeling like getting frisky you could run down to Victoria's Secret. Why don't they float my local mall?
And lets also see...KFC, Sprint, Toys R Us, K Mart , Walmart , Old Navy , ...

What I would like to see is a small Barnes and Noble...Grab a best seller or a magazine to relax with in the Library or on your balcony.
Old June 1st, 2012, 10:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

The noodle bar and Shanghai on the Epic are fabulous! The Mongolian wok was not worrth the long line on the Magic in my opinion.....What I can''t find is a decent spare rib!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 1st, 2012, 05:33 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons16 View Post
And lets also see...KFC, Sprint, Toys R Us, K Mart , Walmart , Old Navy , ...

What I would like to see is a small Barnes and Noble...Grab a best seller or a magazine to relax with in the Library or on your balcony.
In Pennsylvania I feel that a little hole in the wall bar and grill serves the most fabulous steaks in the east, Its called "The Stone Bar Inn" the Chef is the owner...Im sure other dislike it.

I feel for a CHAIN RESTAURANT "Texas Road House" is the best steak house in the country, others might not think so. One thing I never rely on is reviews from others, what is a good movie for one person is a disaster for another the same holds true for restaurants.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 01:44 PM
Banned
Captain

I dont have a problem with Specialty restaurants.. (I do believe that the restaurant should be free, price should be included in the fare, but that a whole different topic)I have a problem with fast food joints...We get bombarded with fast food chains every single day of our lives...If I want to see fast food chains I would'nt go on a cruise...Besides...Most ports have fast food chains...if anyone can't wait until they get to port to have that stuff then that person has a huge junk food problem.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 02:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

There was a couple on our China cruise who couldn't wait to get to Japan so they could have a Big Mac. The "Chinese Food" wasn't like it was back home. They missed the red sauce on the sweet and sour chicken. The ship's food was too fancy.

I guess it's different strokes for different folks. However I do not want a McDonald's on a cruise ship. If the demand is there and the cruise lines can make money then I suppose they'll do it but I guess I'll start cruising other lines or take land cruises.

Take care,
Mike
(Who can't wait to get some good "Chinese Food" in December.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 2nd, 2012, 02:59 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
There was a couple on our China cruise who couldn't wait to get to Japan so they could have a Big Mac. The "Chinese Food" wasn't like it was back home. They missed the red sauce on the sweet and sour chicken. The ship's food was too fancy.

I guess it's different strokes for different folks. However I do not want a McDonald's on a cruise ship. If the demand is there and the cruise lines can make money then I suppose they'll do it but I guess I'll start cruising other lines or take land cruises.

Take care,
Mike
(Who can't wait to get some good "Chinese Food" in December.
In complete agreement...this is one of the major reasons why I booked Crystal...for a better quality of food.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 09:47 AM
Admiral

The best tea I ever drank was at a hotel in Victoria, Canada .The second best was aboard a Cunard ship nearly 40 years ago.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 10:54 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
The best tea I ever drank was at a hotel in Victoria, Canada .The second best was aboard a Cunard ship nearly 40 years ago.
Want me to send you some ? Probably tea at the Empress Hotel. They sell it across the street from my office. I'll have to try it.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old June 4th, 2012, 01:48 AM
Captain

Thumbs down

No thank you!! Like others have said.....I cruise to get away from everyday life. Just say no to any fast food restaurants on a cruise ship!!

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Old June 6th, 2012, 12:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

I really would like to see a Steak & Shake at sea!!!

As well I think an Olive Garden at Sea, would be something!!
Old June 6th, 2012, 01:13 AM
First Mate

PLEASE, no fast food at sea. If I see a McDonalds on board, I'll cruise another line!!

CarnivalTriumph
Old June 6th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Admiral

Reminds me of people who want to be well traveled and experience different cultures and then get upset because the food, culture and language is not American, English, etc! They want to experience differences without risking the familiar.

On board ship, you still have opportunities to try something different IF you chose. If the ships become 'floating' malls with the same 'stuff' you can get back home, that small choice is then lost...so what's the point?
Old June 6th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Admiral

Actually I do enjoy having many food options on board, especially during the day when schedules are more relaxed. Bring on the woks, burger joints, pizza parlors, tandori ovens, delis and what have you. I just don't need to corporate assurance of Mickey D's or what ever.

Of course I am one of those weirdo's that seeks out the good local restaurants instead of the comfort of the chain.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old June 6th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Of course I am one of those weirdo's that seeks out the good local restaurants instead of the comfort of the chain.
We actually had a great local sandwich shop. Super fresh bread, tons of fixings and reasonable prices. There were always lines to get in. Fun place to meet friends and to have casual business meetings.

Well, success led to the business being bought up by a franchise. Now the sandwiches fixing's are weigh out to be sure their standard for each and every serving, and the bread is no longer fresh baked. We've not going as often and have noticed other people aren't either...because the lines aren't as long.

Knowing you will get a standardized sandwich for example, and each sandwich will basically be just like every sandwich you've had before, can in a pinch, give you a sense of security when you travel...but at the same time, it can be boring. Takes the fun out. (now a cup of coffee...that's different!)
Old June 7th, 2012, 10:11 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Actually I do enjoy having many food options on board, especially during the day when schedules are more relaxed. Bring on the woks, burger joints, pizza parlors, tandori ovens, delis and what have you. I just don't need to corporate assurance of Mickey D's or what ever.

Yes the idea is to have food options not the same thing everyday. On another thread it has been suggested food carts that can be located at convenient spots and at designated times. This would make the experience more unique and at dinner cruisemates would be comparing the food choices and planning the next day's food activities.
Old June 21st, 2012, 04:44 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Send a message via Yahoo to pokerplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
I have not eaten fast food since the last century .
Are you joking?
Then how you live till now?
Old June 21st, 2012, 05:53 AM
First Mate

I was thinking that if either fast food outlets or fast food carts were put on cruise ships they would provide variety and new interest points on the ships. This would make stimulate interest in the cruise ship for repeat cruisemates. I am always looking for new and different experiences. Variety of food is one of those experiences.
Old June 21st, 2012, 05:43 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnyprincecharlie View Post
I was thinking that if either fast food outlets or fast food carts were put on cruise ships they would provide variety and new interest points on the ships. This would make stimulate interest in the cruise ship for repeat cruisemates. I am always looking for new and different experiences. Variety of food is one of those experiences.
Im not so sure seeing Mcdonalds on a cruise ship will stimulate interest...why not wait till you get into port for a big Mac?.....Im sure you can find a Mcdonalds or Burger King anywhere in the world. Besides you see it everyday of your life...how would a Mcdonalds draw you to a cruise line unless the person is a complete fast food junkie.
Old June 21st, 2012, 08:42 PM
Admiral

Default The Empress Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
Want me to send you some ? Probably tea at the Empress Hotel. They sell it across the street from my office. I'll have to try it.

That was it .
Old June 22nd, 2012, 06:26 AM
First Mate

Default Local food specialties could be offered on cruise ships

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldmouse View Post
We actually had a great local sandwich shop. Super fresh bread, tons of fixings and reasonable prices. There were always lines to get in. Fun place to meet friends and to have casual business meetings.

Well, success led to the business being bought up by a franchise. Now the sandwiches fixing's are weigh out to be sure their standard for each and every serving, and the bread is no longer fresh baked. We've not going as often and have noticed other people aren't either...because the lines aren't as long.

Knowing you will get a standardized sandwich for example, and each sandwich will basically be just like every sandwich you've had before, can in a pinch, give you a sense of security when you travel...but at the same time, it can be boring. Takes the fun out. (now a cup of coffee...that's different!)

The variety of menu items is one of the primary objectives. Specialties from around the country can be featured like the Wendy Philly Cheesesteak Omelette City of Brotherly Love classic. Three-egg omelette with grilled prime rib, fire-roasted peppers and onions, sautéed mushrooms and melted Swiss cheese. Served with hash browns and choice of bread.
The delivery system is another way to add novelty to the dining experience.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 08:50 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Reminds me of people who want to be well traveled and experience different cultures and then get upset because the food, culture and language is not American, English, etc! They want to experience differences without risking the familiar.
That is basically what I have in my signature. "There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 24th, 2012, 10:14 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
That is basically what I have in my signature. "There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Take care,
Mike
Yes, I agree the idea of travel is to have great and diverse experiences. The idea in this thread was to encourage innovation with novel delivery devices and a varied menu. The source of the menu entries can be both domestic and foreign. For instance, I love a good spit of roast lamb and vegetables or a good gyro especially when it is delivered with theatrics added by a Greek server who shouts at me, "Pepsi. Pepsi, Pepsi. No Coke," just as John Beluchi would on the Saturday Night Live Show. However, I believe that if the cruise ship served gyros or shiskabob in the main restaurant they would be overrun with complaints, about the long lines people had to wait for their gyros and shiskabobs. But to get back to reality, there are many good food dishes that are served in foreign countries that could be offered through food carts or fast food outlet vehichles positioned at strategic times around the ship. And the great thing is that they would made from quality ingredients served by individuals who have been medically cleared and supervised by ship officers who ensure good service. The big plus is that the risk of contracting toumaine, or intestinal parasites or eating dog are very small.
Old June 24th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Yes, I agree the idea of travel is to have great and diverse experiences. The idea in this thread was to encourage innovation with novel delivery devices and a varied menu. The source of the menu entries can be both domestic and foreign. For instance, I love a good spit of roast lamb and vegetables or a good gyro especially when it is delivered with theatrics added by a Greek server who shouts at me, "Pepsi. Pepsi, Pepsi. No Coke," just as John Beluchi would on the Saturday Night Live Show. However, I believe that if the cruise ship served gyros or shiskabob in the main restaurant they would be overrun with complaints, about the long lines people had to wait for their gyros and shiskabobs. But to get back to reality, there are many good food dishes that are served in foreign countries that could be offered through food carts or fast food outlet vehichles positioned at strategic times around the ship. And the great thing is that they would made from quality ingredients served by individuals who have been medically cleared and supervised by ship officers who ensure good service. The big plus is that the risk of contracting toumaine, or intestinal parasites or eating dog are very small.
There is a huge difference between Roast Lamb and Vegetables and a Big Mac and French Fries...Im pretty sure a majority of the people would not want to see any type of fast food outlet on a cruise ship...Getting fast food on a ship is nothing I would look forward to considering I can get that every waking hour of my life in just about any country in the world.
Old June 24th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Oh I totally agree with you Buttons, may-be because partly I don't normally eat much fast food, would rather cook decent meals at home...When on a cruise, the last thing I want is a big mac...

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 24th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Admiral

Logistically how would they manage speciality food carts? The cruise kitchen works at maximum now preparing three meals a day for passengers in the main dining room...including those passengers who have special requests and food allergies. And this is just with the meals already on the menu! Plus you have the speciality restaurants, with their special kitchens and they're working at maximum to prepare for their guests.

Where would these chefs prepare the food for these speciality carts? Which kitchen would they work out of? If you have ever seen or visited a cruise ships kitchen you know every space is used...the chefs are busy as it is with just the prep work for the next meal on the menu.

Sooooo doing speciality food carts may not be a worthwhile project for the cruise line, considering the prep etc.

We go on cruises to experience something new and different anyway...so why the struggle to bring the same brand restaurants on a cruise so you can have the same experience you have at home. There's no fun in that...
Old June 25th, 2012, 02:40 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Logistically how would they manage speciality food carts? The cruise kitchen works at maximum now preparing three meals a day for passengers in the main dining room...including those passengers who have special requests and food allergies. And this is just with the meals already on the menu! Plus you have the speciality restaurants, with their special kitchens and they're working at maximum to prepare for their guests.

Where would these chefs prepare the food for these speciality carts? Which kitchen would they work out of? If you have ever seen or visited a cruise ships kitchen you know every space is used...the chefs are busy as it is with just the prep work for the next meal on the menu.

Sooooo doing speciality food carts may not be a worthwhile project for the cruise line, considering the prep etc.

We go on cruises to experience something new and different anyway...so why the struggle to bring the same brand restaurants on a cruise so you can have the same experience you have at home. There's no fun in that...
You don't need chefs to prepare food for the carts. The food is prepared by crewmembers at the carts. Like they do in New York. The same people do the prepwork preparing hamburgers, hot dogs and pizza. It's not rocket science to prepare a gyro.
Old June 25th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
You don't need chefs to prepare food for the carts. The food is prepared by crewmembers at the carts. Like they do in New York. The same people do the prepwork preparing hamburgers, hot dogs and pizza. It's not rocket science to prepare a gyro.
It May not be rocket science but I would think they feed people enough on cruise ships...breakfast....snacks...lunch...snacks....di nner...finger sandwiches at night...or a buffet.....poolside food....pizza....Just about as much as anyone would want to eat...now to add food carts and to bring an added burden on the crew, I doubt the crew will cook and prepare Gyros...that is the food and beverage dept... Im not so sure its a good idea...besides where do they get the extra crew members...Im sure a ship will need more then one cart...I don't eat fast food myself...3 meals a day is plenty.
Old June 30th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Admiral

Rather than spending extra effort, time and money for food carts...I'd rather see improvements in the on board entertainment...OR better amenities in the balcony cabins..or fluffy towels & pillows.

If you look at the size of some of us...we're getting more than enough food! We've got to lighten up...three meals + snacks is plenty....and as for choices, there's enough. If you get bored...you can try something different on a 'shore' excursion.

Instead of thinking of a cruise as an opportunity to eat ourselves to death...how 'bout thinking this is a great chance to speed up our metabolism with more activity and a lighter diet. O.K...I admit that may be a little 'Alice in Wonderland'...but still, honestly, we don't need MORE available food in carts or kiosks!
Old June 30th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Rather than spending extra effort, time and money for food carts...I'd rather see improvements in the on board entertainment...OR better amenities in the balcony cabins..or fluffy towels & pillows.

If you look at the size of some of us...we're getting more than enough food! We've got to lighten up...three meals + snacks is plenty....and as for choices, there's enough. If you get bored...you can try something different on a 'shore' excursion.

Instead of thinking of a cruise as an opportunity to eat ourselves to death...how 'bout thinking this is a great chance to speed up our metabolism with more activity and a lighter diet. O.K...I admit that may be a little 'Alice in Wonderland'...but still, honestly, we don't need MORE available food in carts or kiosks!
100% agreement...The food they do serve should be top of the line..High quality.

I would, like you said see better shows after dinner...