Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 22nd, 2012, 01:35 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default 48 Hours in Beijing

48 Hours in Beijing
By Janice Wald Henderson CruiseMates Culinary Editor

An Inside Guide to Exploring this Exotic City with just 48 hours before or after your cruise.

The Forbidden City is a Major Beijing attraction

Beijing is a difficult city to explore, and sometimes, endure. But the rewards are far greater than the challenges this Chinese capital can impose.

When planning an Asian cruise, don't bypass Beijing with some half-day pre-or-post cruise tour. Or worse, some two-day guided tour where you're shuffled around like cattle and miss the real Beijing. You can see this city on your own.

Schedule two days for sightseeing, shopping and dining. (The Great Wall, a drive from the city, needs its own day.) Here's how to survive, and yes thrive, in this formidable destination. You may only need to visit once but that one stay provides thrills only travel this exotic can deliver.

Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2012, 08:56 PM
Admiral

Good article but I was surprised by her limited restaurant recommendations. There are great places for Peking Duck and great Irish pubs; both within a couple blocks of the Peninsula. Pointing at pictures on menu is a tradition for both foreigners and locals alike; after all, some of the characters for food are not that easily remembered. Also, she didn't mention the Regent Hotel that does serve fantastic Peking Duck. We have stayed at Regent twice and Peninsula once; both are excellent in excellent locations.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14