Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 11th, 2001, 09:02 PM
Eileen Finnerty

Default What to pack for Alaska in August

We are getting ready to travel from New Jersey to Alaska, and are not certain what to pack? Will we need shorts for excursions, or is it better to bring rain gear? Any advice and/or tips will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2001, 10:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: What to pack for Alaska in August

Eileen,

Was in Alaska in August of 1999 and the weather was exceptionally warm and dry. Since Alaska is well noted for changable weather, I would definately bring shorts (I wore shorts and sundresses on many of the excursions) but don't forget the raingear! Though it wasn't needed on my particular cruise, there's no telling what yours will be like and most people I've spoken with who have been to Alaska have all needed rain gear.
Old July 13th, 2001, 12:25 PM
First Mate

Eileen, I'm crusing the Inner Passage on Vision of the Seas in August. From all the experienced cruisers & whatever I could find, I've learned to layer is best. I'm bringing a couple of pairs of shorts, just in case; otherwise, i plan on lighter wear for my excursions. I'm also packing a waterproof poncho, you know, those $2 type things. But I also found an waterproof poncho at Wal*Mart that i'm taking along. I have planned light pair of jeans, with a hooded sweatshirt & t-shirt under, with weaterproof slicker for my helicopter excursion. I plan on bringing my backpack, which will allow me to un-layer, hands free.

I also thought about those cargo pants, that unzip into shorts. otherwise, it's a toss-up. Again, depends on the weather.

Hope that helps!

joanne
Old July 13th, 2001, 11:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Here's a link to an article I wrote about Alaska packing.. hope its of some help.
<http://www.cruisemates.com/Articles/cruiseguide/portsofcall/alaska/packing.cfm>

Regards,
Kuki
Old July 20th, 2001, 11:22 AM
Admiral

Joanne, if your helicopter flight includes landing on a glacier, they provide you with the rain slicker and "moon boots"! You will all look alike out there!. One less thing for you to pack. Wear thick soled shoes though on most tours or walks so your feet don't get wet.
Bon Voyage
Old July 27th, 2001, 04:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi:
Went to Alaska in August last year. I would take long pants and sweat shirts...take one pair of shorts incase.
Old July 30th, 2001, 12:05 AM
First Mate

HI....went to Alaska two summers ago in August. Needed sweatshirts and jeans most of the time and definately the lightweight rain gear. I purchased a foldable one that ends up into a little package that you can wear around your waist from Mountain Sports I think. Also changes of hiking shoes or sneakers, in case you are out and it rains. I would say it stayed in the 50's to low 60's most of the week. You don't want the weather to stip your excursions. A hat is also nice. The idea of layering is good.
Good luck! Enjoy the glacier!
Chuck
New Jersey
Old August 20th, 2001, 12:04 AM
Rob H

Never wore my shorts and once I wore a polo shirt.
A short sleeve or long sleeve shirt with a light sweater works well also a short sleeve fleece and a light nylon parka or rain slicker did the trick.
We actually bought for 1/2 price, second day out the Celebrity nylon jacket which comes with a hood and is great quality,