Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 31st, 2001, 12:54 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to cindi
Default formal wear on Golden

I have purchased 2 evening wear dresses for our honeymoon cruise in Feb. to the Eastern Caribbean. One has a dark purple silky material underneath with dark blue sequins all over, long to the floor. Would that be appropriate for a formal night and if so what shoes and color would I wear with it? Other one is a spaghetti strap black velvet with a silver sparkly leaf pattern covering the dress, also to the floor. What would I wear over the dress to keep me warm if it is cool?
I am so worried that I will look too dressed up or not dressed up enough. I have never been on a cruise so any help would be much appreciated.
I am looking forward to hearing from those who have been and can tell me if I need to look for something else to wear.
Thanks so much, Cindi
Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2001, 07:41 PM
Robocop

Default Re: formal wear on Golden

Cindi, sorry I can't help you with the shoe or handbag match, I'll leave that up to the ladies but, you will be dressed quite approprately! Formal wear is and means just that. Evening wear is what I would love to see all the ladies wear. Of course I would like to see all the gents in tuxes as well.
Jim
Old October 31st, 2001, 08:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Cindi,
On my Princess cruise I did notice that the ladies do dress up, sounds like what you want to pack will be perfect, as to the color of the shoes, how about black and or a pair of silver? Enjoy Golden, will be going on her over New Years, just 59 days left to wait. In case you do get chilly, I always pack a nice sweater or you may have a shawl that would go with, good idea to take for just in case.

Donna
Tueday Chat HOst
Old November 1st, 2001, 08:37 AM
Passenger

Thank you both for the replies. We have never had the chance to 'dress up" in formal wear and are really looking forward to it. I just don't want the fashion police to be whispering behind my back, I want to at least look like I know what I'm doing, lol
And my husband will be wearing a tux, I have read on some other posts that alot of the men are just wearing dark suits now but after seeing my dresses he says he is definetly going with the tux! A friend of ours went on a cruise last April and was not informed or just didn't think of it but had no evening dress to wear and had to skip the formal nights, what a shame!
Any other suggestions on the shoes appreciated.
Cindi
Old November 1st, 2001, 10:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

Cindi,

Silver shoes or dressy sandals would look great with both your outfits, and a shawl or pashmina would be perfect as a cover.

Enjoy your cruise, and best wishes on your wedding!
Old November 1st, 2001, 11:17 AM
Passenger

I just bought a pashmina shawl on ebay! Thanks!
Cindi
Old November 1st, 2001, 12:17 PM
Admiral

Hi, Cindi ...

Fashion Police reporting in !!!

Sounds like your choices are absolutely beautiful. Are we the same size?

I'd go with strappy black peau de soie sandals in a heel height that's comfortable for you so you don't need two pairs and they will serve you well in the future (and, maybe, at the rehearsal dinner?)

The pashamina will be great.

I always throw in the "LBD" (Little Black Dress) which, almost always, makes an appearance even though it's not in my initial planning. It's a fall-back position. We should always be able to go shopping in our own closets (large grin here).

All best wishes on your upcoming marriage and a wonderful honeymoon!

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old November 1st, 2001, 03:45 PM
Passenger

Thanks everyone! You have all been a great help and I feel much better! We are going to have the time of our life, I'm soooo excited! I've got the confidence now too that we will be looking F.I N.E fine.

Oh no, now what will I wear to the night club! Maybe something short and sexy??? I think I'm getting it!

Cindi
Old November 1st, 2001, 04:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Again Cindi,
You mentioned you wanted some tips for your cruise, well just in case you haven't already read through the section here for first time cruisers, here is the link, some great info in there:

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/first-time/index.cfm>
I bet both you and your husband will look dashing, enjoy!

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old November 2nd, 2001, 11:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

Cindi,

you might enjoy visiting this site -- it's all about cruise fashions and there are some great discussions and terrific posters.

<http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?q=Y&s=927093444&a=corfrm&cf=8170905551>

Have fun!