Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 24th, 2002, 06:03 PM
Mary4

Default teen formal night

We're going on Celebrity Century, western Caribbean. My daughters ages are 19, 17, and 13. What is appropriate for formal and semi formal nights?
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2002, 09:23 PM
Admiral

Default Re: teen formal night

Mary,

I have never been on Celebrity but I have been on another "upscale" line (in the same "premium" segment of hte market), where most of the young people seem to conform to the published dress code on formal nights. Celebrity also has a reputation for being pretty dressy -- perhaps even dressier than some of the other "premium" lines.

For formal nihgts, the older two girls certainly could wear their prom dresses. The thirteen-year-old probably could wear a nice dress on those occasions.

The semiformal nights undoubtedly are a bit less formal, but they probably are still quite dressy on most Celebrity Cruises. Nice dresses certainly would be appropriate. Dressy blouses and skirts probably would be another option.

You probably will receive an information package from Celebrity Cruises, eihter right after you make your final payment or when you pick up your tickets. Be sure to read the information thoroughly. The information package probably does contain dress guidelines to which your daughters should adhere.

Norm.
Old July 25th, 2002, 06:48 PM
Admiral

Have taken my granddaughter on cruises since she was 8 and although she has nott reached teen, she loves formal nites. Says she feels like Cinderella. She has always worn a nice long dress for formal nites. I made the first few and now we just buy them when they are on sale after proms and New Years.

The older girls will be perfectly at home with a prom dress or long skirt and nice dressy top. I'm sure they too will love dressing up.

Have a great cruise and let us know when you return how you liked it.

Gaile
CMHost Tweety
Old November 26th, 2002, 09:25 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: teen formal night

Is there a teen formal night on Carnival?? If so, my son is in big trouble, as he doesn't own any formalwear, and probably won't be caught dead in it anyway!

Old November 28th, 2002, 12:30 PM
Admiral

Formal night is for EVERYONE. A teen guy will be just great in a blue blazer, dress shirt, tie, and khakis. "The unfiform."

Old November 29th, 2002, 04:18 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: teen formal night

Donna,

As Pamda said, formal nights are for EVERYBODY, so teens are not exempt -- and, if the truth be told, it's a fantastic learning experience for them. Your son should follow the "suggested" dress in the information provided by the cruise line.

I'm not sure how formal things get, or don't get, on Carnival, but I can tell you that a blazer or sport coat is not proper attire for a formal occasion. If Carnival does have true formal nights and your son does not own formalwear, there are a couple options.

>> 1. Most local tuxedo shops offer some sort of a "cruise special" rental of jacket, pants, two shirts, a cummerbund with matching tie, a vest with matching tie, studs and cuff links, and shoes for about ten days for about $85. The advantage of renting at home is that you can be sure of correct sizes.

>> 2. Most cruise lines now offer onboard rentals. If you submit your son's sizes and selections in advance, they will deliver the tuxedo to his cabin on embarkation day for his use during the cruise, and he'll just leave it there when he vacates the cabin. The onboard rental might be a bit more expensive than the "cruise special" at home, but it saves the hassle of picking up, packing, and returning the outfit.

You probably can make this a lot more palatable for your son by allowing him to choose whatever style of formalwear he likes. A white dinner jacket outfit, for example, is quite proper on formal evenings anywhere in the tropics (Caribbean, Mexican Riviera, etc.) as well as anywhere in the summertime. Of course, a tuxedo is equally acceptable.

Norm.
Old November 30th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Admiral

Personally, I believe that the "uniform" of blue blazer, etc. is PERFECTLY correct for younger guys, even on Formal Nights. They can dress up the look with a funky bow tie.

"Tuxing out" a guy too young to reasonably own his own tux is like putting a cat in a cape. My opnion.