Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 15th, 2002, 01:21 PM
D. King

Default Semi-formal nights

I have a question regarding the men's dress code for semi-formal night. My husband is all set for formal nights with suits and casual nights with khakis and a golf shirt. But, for semi-formal nights (aboard the Brillance of the Seas during February vacation)
is he okay with dress pants and dress shirts or does he definitely need a sportscoat and tie? Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2002, 05:17 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Semi-formal nights

Do you want to know what IS semi formal or informal? The definition would be suit and tie or sport jacket and tie. What can your husband get away with? No one is going to tell him to leave the dining room if he dresses as you described. However, why not have him throw on a sport jacket, no tie, as a compromise. He'll look and feel better and won't feel strangled by the tie.
Enjoy your cruise.
Old October 16th, 2002, 07:39 PM
Admiral

D. King,

"Semiformal" definitely demands "coat and tie" -- either a sport jacket with dress slacks or a business suit.

Note that "formal" properly means "black tie" (tuxedo or dinner jacket), although cruise lines relaxed this slightly by atmitting dark business suits as a concession to the fact that most men do not own formal attire.

Norm.
Old October 17th, 2002, 12:34 AM
Admiral

Oh, heck, Norm ...

These days they let in almost anyone who isn't naked.

Sad to say.

Semi-formal MEANS sports coat, shirt and tie.

Old October 17th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Lene

Default Re: Re: Semi-formal nights

DH will probably wear a sport jacket, no tie. If that's his choice...I won't argue!!!! On our last cruise, we had our sons with us. Hubby dressed as above, one son wore sport jacket and tie, and if I recall the other wore a nice sweater and tie! Everyone looked spiffy and had a wonderful time! As long as he dresses nicely, I wouldn't make a case of it. (You want him to RELAX and agree to another cruise one day!!!!)
Old October 20th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Semi-formal nights

We do things the easy way, He takes one black SUIT, one dress pant, 3 shirts, 3 ties, and his casual dinner clothes, Dockers w/ golf shirts.
He wears his suit twice (2 formals) and wears his black dress pants with/or sometimes without the suit coat, for smart casual. Not that difficult, the more you take that you can wear 2 times the more room you will have in your luggage (for shoes) Ha Ha..
I am sure whatever he wears will be fine. nobody will say anything. You will have a great time.........................HAPPY CRUISING!!!
Old October 27th, 2002, 08:02 PM
First Mate

I don't know about other guys, but I just simply don't like eating with my sport/suit jacket on. I'll walk in with my jacket on, but when I get to the table, off goes the jacket onto the chair back. I don't know if this violates some Amy Vanderbilt rule or not, but if I can't be comfortable while I'm dining, my entire meal will not be as enjoyable as it should be. Do others have their own thoughts on this? I'd be interested to hear yours.
Old October 30th, 2002, 10:41 PM
First Mate

DH wears collarless dress shirts and slacks on casual nights, and may slip on a sportscoat over the same on semi-formal night. Only dresses up for formal nights, and I don't blame him. He takes me on a cruise, lets me dress up anyway I like, so I do the same. Be happy, don't worry.

Happy cruising!

RCL x5: Majesty of the Seas, Sovereign of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas

Celebrity x1: Century

Princess x3: Caribbean Princess x3, Dawn Princess

NCL x1: NCL Spirit