Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 8th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Paul Morgan

Default laundry

We will be first time cruisers on the Norwegian Wind this month. We're doing a ten day Hawaiian Island cruise. I've read to pack light, but that's a lot of dirty laundry for a family of four over ten days.

Is there a self-use laundry on board, or are we destined to use the ship's service that will probably cost $2.50 just to wash a pair of socks?
Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2003, 07:28 PM
cricket55

Default Re: laundry

I 've been on both RCCL and Celebrity and they did not have any self-serve laundry available and that sounds about right for socks...I paid $5.00 just to have a sundress ironed.
Old January 10th, 2003, 11:49 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: laundry

the best way to find out is to go to NCCL's web site and click on to the deck plans of your ship. If there is a self-service laundy it will be located on the deck plans. ( side note i always bring a small bottle of detergent when I cruise to wash "delicates" and pantyhose each day if i think of it, wash in the sink, hang to dry on the shower, i have even had them folded and placed on my bed at the end of the day when they were dried)
Old January 14th, 2003, 08:56 PM
Admiral

Default Re: laundry

Paul,

The real questionis whether you want to spend time doing laundry during your vacation. For any vacation of about two weeks or less, I bring enough clothes so laundry can wait until I return home.

Here are some tips to reduce your load.

>> 1. Bring "golf" or "polo" shirts rather than "T" shirts. The "golf" or "polo" shirts are dressy enough for casual evenings as well as casual enough to wear on outings, around the pool, or even over a bathing suit.

>> 2. The "European" or "bikini" briefs, available at Wal*Mart and at Target, fold a lot more compactly than conventional briefs, requiring less than half the space in a suitcase. The same is true of

>> 3. The "racing" styles of swimsuits, available in major sporting goods stores, also fold much more compactly than other styles. Opt for nylon-spandex, as they dry very quickly so you'll need fewer of them (two -- one for fresh water and one for salt water -- should suffice).

>> 4. Bring a sweater, a sportcoat, etc., of a neutral color that will go with all your shirts. That way, you'll need only one. (Dining rooms can be a bit cool in the evening, depending upon the air conditioning.)

In addition to your formalwear, be sure to bring a tropical ("Hawaiian") shirt if you are going to a warm destination. Most cruise lines do have a tropical deck party, for which you'll want it.

Perhaps others can add a few more tips to this list.

Norm.