Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 30th, 2003, 11:25 AM
Emily_newbiecruiser

Default Girls, how big was the biggest purse you ever took on a crui

I was told by some experienced cruisers to take the biggest purse I could find, as well as a real carry-on, and that way on the plane it would be almost like having the benefit of two pieces of carry-on luggage.

Anybody have any advice/info/opinions about this?

What is the biggest purse you ever took on a cruise and got away with it? (I mean, got away with stuffing a lot of stuff into it and yet not having to store it in the overhead compartment on the plane.)

Thanks! I just finished sewing a denim "purse" -slash-beach bag-slash-cruise bag, using the dimensions of carry-ons as posted at the airline's website and then making length, height, and depth one less less than the maximum allowed dimensions.

Question -- Do you think the airline will accept this homemade fun/funky bag as a "purse" or will they pronounce it a "carry-on" and insist that I store it in the overhead compartment?
Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2003, 06:38 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Girls, how big was the biggest purse you ever took on a

Emily-feel free to stuff away! Lately I have been noticing that men and women boarding the plane are taking on a stow away bag and a very large "briefcase" which holds their laptop and all of their other business needs. They just keep this on their feet since it doesn't really fit under the seat in front of them. Many are bringing these items as well as a fanny pack! On my last flight, last month from San Juan, I had a huge carry on, a huge tote bag, a back-pack, a fanny pack, and a case of booze! Nobody said anything except "Can I help you with that?" I know that was a little overboard but when the airlines (United) want to charge you extra for a suitcase over 50 lbs. And mine weighs close to 20 empty. We must do what we have to do. Especially if you are a shoeholic like me, good leather shoes are heavy. I learned this lesson at the United counter when the lady was taking all of my shoes out of my suitcase to stash in my back-pack (which was also in my suitcase) so I wouldn't have to pay an extra $75.Good luck to you.
Margo
Old March 31st, 2003, 11:36 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Girls, how big was the biggest purse you ever took o

i am leaning the other way on this one, the less i have to go through security at the airport the better, however i do pack a fold-up tote bag in my luggage as my beach bag and souvenior bag - if i have a lot of souveniors i will check that bag at the airport. When it comes to a cruise - less is better for me- luggagewise that is. I will not travel without a fanny pack.
Old March 31st, 2003, 12:34 PM
Admiral

I agree, less is best. With new screening the less you carry the easierit is. We both take a small tote: mine looks like a Lap top bag. I never travel with a handbag the last 7 years. I put my change & money in a very small coin purse, some make-up & essentials in a small make-up zip bag, my doc's in a nice zipped passport case, a small book in the outside zipper pocket, med's & jewelry in proper containers, and anything else I must have in the tote. This fits very comfortabley under the seat in front of me. I can also carry on a camera bag which includes all my film and I do bring alot. You must get your luggage anyway at the arrival terminal, so you can then carry on a 20" small case fwith your change of clothing, etc. and things you will need until your larger luggage arrives. Also, don't lock your luggage but use cable ties. Thieves won't bother trying to cut them, but TSA security can easily cut but not ruin your closures and replace the cables if necessary.
Bon Voyage
Old March 31st, 2003, 03:34 PM
Emily_newbiecruiser

Thank you all so much for these replies! So fun to read and very helpful. Thanks again, and happy cruising to you all!