Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2003, 12:56 PM
SSinCT

Default Tipping, Tipping, Tipping

Any advice re how much money to bring for porter tips and room service tips? Sailing Disney and I am set for main tips, but what about the smaller assistance areas? Any ideas? Do we need to tip porters upon departure too? Any advice on how much money to bring in general? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2003, 01:20 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Tipping, Tipping, Tipping

the general rule for tipping porters is $2.00 per bag, this applies to the airport, and the cruise terminal arrival and departure. If you order a meal from room service i would tip the person who brings your meal a couple of dollars. Go with the cruise lines tipping guide as a general rule, and then if you come across someone who gives you exceptional service you can tip them accordingly.
Old July 21st, 2003, 05:42 PM
char Hempler

Default Re: Re: Tipping, Tipping, Tipping

I usually carry about $50 in singles and fives. and my husband also does. That way we have the smaller bills ready when we need them. I do believe in tipping well. i work in food service and know what it is to work for tips. that is what I call petty cash fund. Just there for the extras like tips. Happy cruising...... Char
Old July 21st, 2003, 10:00 PM
SSinCT

Default Re: Re: Re: Tipping, Tipping, Tipping

Thanks - I actually have worked in the hospitality industry and believe in tipping well. Just wanted to be prepared. Was planning to bring at least $50 singles. I usually give $10 for 4 bags to the airport porters. Just wanted to get a handle on the cruise end. Thanks to both of you!
Old July 22nd, 2003, 11:24 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Tipping, Tipping, Tipping

I note all of the above ... I also leave an envelope in the room strictly for room service so I don't have to hunt for dollar bills first thing in the morning.

I've also found it helps to have the money in y our hand when arriving at the pier -- seems to be like a magnet for the porters.

:-)

Harry
Old July 28th, 2003, 04:34 PM
Passenger

Wow it must cost you Americans a fortune in tips if you tip everybody who helps you. If you ever come to England you will save a lot of money. Most people will leave a tip at the end of an evening meal but only if you feel that the service has been adequate. It amazes me how countries have different customs.

Aurora
Constalation
Costa atlantica

Aurora
Old August 5th, 2003, 12:04 AM
SSinCT

Default Re: Re: Tipping, Tipping, Tipping

Yes - tipping is part of our customs here! And we did tip a lot aboard the Disney ship.
Old August 14th, 2003, 02:19 PM
Passenger

We tend to tip well, it seems to get you better service - especially the porters at the pier. We have always had our luggage delivered promptly to our room. Usually it is already there when we get there. I don't know if it is because we tip well, but I guess I am saying that it can't hurt! I have heard so many horror stories of people not having their luggage back until late the first night. Usually we give them $15+ depending on how many of us are in our party and how many rocks I decide to bring in my luggage that time!