Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 27th, 2003, 11:00 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to SRobinM
Default Dinner and Tanks

As was suggested in an earlier post I decided to do a trial run through packing. Mostly to make sure I have everything I need. And BOY AM I GLAD I DID. Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember reading that the dining room has a "no tank top" policy. Is this correct? The problem is I wear a lot of tank tops, but not casual tank tops... I'm talking silk...designer halters, very stylish. This is the stuff I wear when I go to nightclubs in major cities. The only other things I own are either t-shirts or business suits because...well that's my lifestyle. Work, Gym, and go out at night. I am getting close to my budget on pre cruise shopping. Any suggestions. Plus I really would like to wear what I want to wear after dinner and not have to change. I wear these tank tops to fine restaurants all around the country with nothing covering my shoulders. I'm not talking about wearing a "wife beater" to dinner. They are too fancy to sling on a cardigan over top. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2003, 01:12 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Dinner and Tanks

To clarify, most of them are "sleeveless shirts" none are stringy tank tops, though some are backless type halter shirts... I also have very long thick hair that generally covers my back and shoulders and I usually wear it down. I don't know if this makes any difference at all.
Old July 27th, 2003, 03:11 PM
jamie gunter

I would think fancy shirts would be fine. I wear sleeveless dresses to dinner. You can always call the cruise line and ask. I dont know what cruise line you are going on so cant be sure. I am sure they could answer your questions and then you would have no doubt. On Carnival, they only ask no t shirts and no shorts.
Old July 27th, 2003, 03:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Dinner and Tanks

Hi Robin,
Actually those tops sound just fine, I think they are referring to the regular cotton "tank" top you'd wear with shorts during the day, those would not be acceptable for any "formal" night. I may suggest that you pack a shawl or sweater just in case its chilly in the dining room, sometimes they are, others not, but you can also wear them when you are out on deck in the eveing when it can get chilly as well.

Chances are if you pack and bring a sweater, you won't need it, but if you don't, seems you'll be sure to have wanted to wear it, you know how that goes?

BTW, what ship are you cruising on?

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 27th, 2003, 06:57 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Dinner and Tanks

I'm sailing on Enchantment. I spoke with a friend whose sailed on RCCL Ships before and she is familiar with my wardrobe. She said she thinks I'll be fine, though she also said sometimes the dining rooms can be chili so to bring a cardigan. Thanks for the input... I think I'm ready to go... Now if I can only wait a month!
Old July 28th, 2003, 09:27 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Dinner and Tanks

as the other have stated, your sleeveless shells (that's what we call them) will be just fine. The dining rooms can be chilly i would suggest you pack a nice sweater, wrap or even a lightweight linen blazer(if you have one). It can get chilly up on deck at night also.
Old July 30th, 2003, 03:40 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to BambiRumsey Send a message via MSN to BambiRumsey
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dinner and Tanks

I always thought that line about the no tank tops was in reference to menswear as many women wear sequined tanks with skirts or dress pants and many evening gowns have strappy sleeves much like a tank.

You wardrobe sounds fine....but definitely a sweater or pashmina for the dining room - I find they start off chilly but as dinner winds down (and the bottle of wine gets ingested!) the temperature rises....
Old August 7th, 2003, 02:12 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to CarnivalCruiserA Send a message via MSN to CarnivalCruiserA

Stylish designer halter tops would be fine! I wore a Bebe one for one non-formal night... Just make sure they are dressy, but don't have to be too dressy, it's not formal. If you put it with a skirt it would be perfect! I mainly wore skirts and halter/tanks that were dressy.... But I'm only 16.
Old August 7th, 2003, 05:45 PM
Admiral

Robin,

Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember reading that the dining room has a "no tank top" policy. Is this correct? The problem is I wear a lot of tank tops, but not casual tank tops... I'm talking silk...designer halters, very stylish. This is the stuff I wear when I go to nightclubs in major cities. The only other things I own are either t-shirts or business suits because...well that's my lifestyle.

I don't recall hearing of a "no tank tops" policy on any of the major lines, and your tops do sound very stylish.

That said, the air conditioning can be a bit chilly in the dining room of a cruise ship so you might want to bring a couple wraps or sweaters to keep your shoulders warm.

Norm.